Windows 10 Mobile 10149 : Don't Install : Lumia 920

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have done a hard reset and installed clean, not from a backup. This was an improvement, but not nearly enough to be considered on my primary device. It really makes me think they're is a problem with the build on some phones.

Ickis99

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
And with a hard reset you also get rid of some Legacy-Apps you keep from 8.1. Maybe you can uninstall them with later builds but i could only remove them via hard reset.

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
10149 works pretty nice on my 920. Yes, it's buggy here and there, battery life is shorter than on 8.1 but it works much better than previous builds.

Sumeet Sharma1

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I am using the new build in L920 on a daily drive and its working like a charm. have some patience its a technical preview, it will have issues.

and just a small advice which i read somewhere, don't remember where,

"while installing 10149 build plug it into a charger and forget about the phone till its up. i left it for 6 hours and next day morning all apps and settings were in place and working bit slow but once the background apps calm down its nicest of all builds till date. and yes turn of glance to save battery, it is consuming a lot battery.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Usually, when reading posts like that from the OP my reaction is 'don't you read for comprehension?', but in this instance it's clear he has and that he is intolerant of bugs. Usually that's no bad thing, but when you're testing pre-release software, bugs are to be expected and I think many of his issues are down to one particular bug: that the software presents itself for use way too early.

When updating the OS it really is necessary to leave the device alone for some time before touching it. I found this out when, after a particularly hard day at work, I fell asleep during the update process and awoke about three hours later to an updated 920 which has worked quite smoothly ever since and battery life has been reasonable. Neither is as good as WP8.1 mind, but they are usable.

My advice to the OP is to roll back his 920 to 8.1 and install w10 on a secondary device. He can then use the performance of this device to gauge when to upgrade his 920. Remember that Daniel Rubino is running W10 on a Lumia 1520, a device with enough grunt to cover a lot of sins.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary or useful to hard reset every time, because it gives Microsoft a false impression of how well thinks are going. Non-technical users are going to expect to restore their devices from back up after upgrading, so its best not to obviate this issue.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I think some people need to be stop treating anecdotal evidence as a matter of fact, just because it runs poorly on your device it doesn't it run's poorly on everyone else's phones.

Also after you installed the builds did you leave the phone alone at all?

Furthermore was the phone running incredibly hot?

If you had started to play around with the second after it installed successfully it will be laggy, with plenty of resuming screens, graphically glitches such as slow animations, slow cursor etc.

In regards to the battery life, well if your using the phone constantly the battery drain I found is quite high compared to WP 8.1 - that may be what your experiencing and it does run quite warm.

However the charge to charge time on my phone has increased by a fair margin and in regards to charge time from dead battery to 100%, the 920 generally takes roughly 2 hours to charge completely (with the Nokia supplied charger).

So I imagine you have some thing running constantly in the background which a hard reset would probably fix or make it worse - could go either way.

Anouarahabri

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
hello, guys

yes :/ i installed the new built on my lumia 920 and now it s like a brick !!! how to revert back to W8.1. knowing i googled for hours. used zune or even nokia care suite, still i m getting no where. my wifi on lumia won t turn on. so i believe, you know. what i m going throu.thanks for the help

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
hello, guys

yes :/ i installed the new built on my lumia 920 and now it s like a brick !!! how to revert back to W8.1. knowing i googled for hours. used zune or even nokia care suite, still i m getting no where. my wifi on lumia won t turn on. so i believe, you know. what i m going throu.thanks for the help

Use windows phone recovery tool.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody tried recent windows 10 insider build in Lumia 920. Please suggest if it can be used as a daily driver. I want to experience windows 10 mobile just before switching to android if its worth lasting a day

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody tried recent windows 10 insider build in Lumia 920. Please suggest if it can be used as a daily driver. I want to experience windows 10 mobile just before switching to android if its worth lasting a day
The last few builds have been working fine for me. Give it a shot. Good luck!

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
The last few builds have been working fine for me. Give it a shot. Good luck!

I installed the latest build in lumia 920 and i must say it has really impressed me. May be my expectations were less however nice to use a stable insider build and even the update process went without a hazzle compared to my previous experiences.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
A 920 and 830 user here, both on .36. I would say, go for it. Absolutely.
.. as per usual, do a clean installation and don't restore from previous backup. Then let your 920 update all the core apps, follow by the apps you want. Let it alone for a while.
It will feel you have a new phone...

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Even though build is stable i am getting only 4 hour battery backup. It drains very quickly in my 920. Also there is performance lags in opening various apps. So i can't say the latest build is a daily driver though its very appropriate for a secondary device.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Even though build is stable i am getting only 4 hour battery backup. It drains very quickly in my 920. Also there is performance lags in opening various apps. So i can't say the latest build is a daily driver though its very appropriate for a secondary device.

And log out from SKype video first, it drains a lot

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I just help a friend update his 920 couple of days ago. Now the battery is stuck below 7%. No matter what I do, charge by cable, by wireless. Remove apps, stop background. Etc etc. The USB port is damaged, I can't connect it to a PC either.
The logical choice is a hard reset, but I need to get battery juiced up in the first place, ... I'm stuck.
2nd option is to change both the port and a new battery... and see how it goes... Fingers crossed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234