Hamburger menu system SUCKS for one handed orientation!

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyway I added over on the windows feedback a suggestion, search for hamburger plus ellipsis, an anyone can see it.
It's so simple, by tapping on a "..." it will toggle the hamburger menu hence the "reachability" case.
There has been many request for a swipe gesture, though one should consider there is still pivot/panorama in use thus that's just too much swiping gestures happening.
Yeah then okay what about the app bar one would say... A swipe up, simple.
In my opinion this tackles one handed case use an left handed users(allot of request for a return of a swipe up gesture for the app bar).

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Where the hamburger menu belongs:

hamburger menu trash small.jpg

One handed, two handed, it doesn't matter. Bad design is bad design and MS adopting bad design for W10 is one of the great disappointments. Probably the biggest deal breaker for me since I came to WP for all the bottom orientated app bars, pivots and other user friendly UI elements. If WP was a dumbed down wannabe Android copycat I would've never switched.

B7-EK6RCcAAVr_5.jpg

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
New feature on the public builds of Windows 10 Insider Preview. I believe screen has to be 5 inches or larger, but I cannot say for certain.

Okay, its a new feature in Windows 10 on large screens.

May I ask, what does the new feature do? When you hold the Windows button down, what happens?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I use my phone (L925) with one hand a lot (depending on the situation). I'm not ok with hamburger menu. Why did they put it on the left ? They should have put it on the right with the ability to swipe and it would have been great for one or two hands usage. They said they put it on the left because people are more used to find it there. I don't think its a good excuse.

That only works for lefties, try holding the phone in your right hand and using your right thumb to reach the same place without adjusting your hand.

Hamburgers aren't going anywhere, I find it overly hilarious that no one really complains about the useage and placement of hamburger menus in mobile websites. Not to mention has the usage of hamburger menus hampered the adoption of android - no.

If Windows phone had a global market share 20x greater than what it is today then there wouldn't be a need for such a drastic UI change but the reality is - it does not. They have been following the same UI principles since Wp7, granted there have been alot of bone headed decisions along the way that has severly hampered growth. So something needs to give, you either start doing something differently or just call it quits.

Personally do I like the hamburger menu?

Nope, I don't but everyone is going to have to get used to it whether you like it or not.

Why?

The world is going mobile, besides if it's not the hamburger menu it will be something else it just happens to be placed at the top of the screen and there is simple a reason for that - we read from the top down and not the bottom up and that stems from the fact we all are taught this behaviour from a early age as books, scriptures etc going back countless centuries have always been written from the top to bottom (however there are variations between languages which direction of the horizontal plane you start reading from i.e english left to right, arabic right to left, japanese read vertically going top to bottom, starting right to left).

People need to put their emotions aside and think pragmatically, however that is easier said than done.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hamburgers aren't going anywhere, I find it overly hilarious that no one really complains about the useage and placement of hamburger menus in mobile websites. Not to mention has the usage of hamburger menus hampered the adoption of android - no.

If Windows phone had a global market share 20x greater than what it is today then there wouldn't be a need for such a drastic UI change but the reality is - it does not. They have been following the same UI principles since Wp7, granted there have been alot of bone headed decisions along the way that has severly hampered growth. So something needs to give, you either start doing something differently or just call it quits.

Mobile websites shouldn't be the model for OS UI design. Also doing things differently doesn't have to mean doing it stupidly. I can understand that MS is desperate to get the ball rolling with WP/Mobile/whatever adoption but throwing away most of what is good about WP for bad designs isn't likely to change things. If anything it's just ticking off the current users who came to the platform because they liked the uniqueness and user friendliness of WP. We've lost the hubs, the stylish typography, the panoramic apps and now one handed use. A Google-less Android clone with tiles just isn't exciting to me.

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Well said concerning websites....they change everyday. OS does not.
Also concerning the loss of windows design language.
But for the sake of things I'm rollin with the punches here. Just would like to see it run fluid.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well get used to it because it's here to stay. With three weeks left until launch, all the feedback in the world isn't going to get them to try and add an alternative navigation method.

At this point people probably need to start playing with the tech preview to decide if they're comfortable with the core ui components. If not you might want to go check out some macs and/or chromebooks. Anything that would require major foundational changes just isn't happening. Probably not even in future builds. It's the "last version of Windows". Take it or leave it.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the hamburger menu is way more intuitive. This is why it has gotten popular.

Unless you've been on Windows Phone your whole smartphone existence ;-) To me, hamburger isn't intuitive and generally the different menus don't always function the same. Sometimes you have to click an X to close it, other times the back button will get rid of it, other times the back button will take you back to the previous screen (not desired). I find the ellipse menu unobtrusive, simple and predictable. Now, I DO see advantages to a menu system where you need submenus. But I just have not seen a hamburger menu I like using on the phone yet.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If your phone is 5 inches or higher, just hold the Windows button and the UI is lowered, making it easy to reach everything. Basically apple's Reachability feature. No excuses now.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The whole screen is lowered so the top of the screen is in the middle of the screen.

Really? Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy nuts? What is going on at Microsoft? They switch from usable to less useable with the horrible hamburger in the upper left. Feedback says it isn't as usable as at the bottom. So they copy something from Apple, to slide the top of the screen down to be reachable! Geez! Isn't that like admitting that it isn't as usable? Seems like something a child would do.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
About the hamburger menu, I think that the problem is WP's implementation of it more than the hamburger itself. You should not have to tap on it. It should slide open. I use it on WP, iOS, and Android. Most Android and iOS versions of it have the sliding feature, but I've not yet seen it on any WP app.

The Spotify app and Pocket Casts (a podcast-listening app) both kind-of implement that "slide in from the left" gesture. (Only "kind of" because WP doesn't have a gesture for a slide that starts off-screen, while Android does (I don't know about iOS, but it sounds like it does, too.) It feels about the same - what I'm guessing they're doing is creating a tall thin transparent control that's a few pixels wide and responds to swipes by opening the hamburger menu.

It generally works, but it gets awkward when the main screen contains other elements that scroll horizontally - for example, check out the main "Radio" page on Spotify - you can "swipe from the left" to open the hamburger, but you have to be reeeeeeeeally careful - there's only a few spots on the whole screen that will open the menu, and not scroll the station lists. At that point, it's easier to just reach for the hamburger.

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should make the location of hamburger menu an option in the settings. My ideal location is lower right corner.

Also the navigation buttons (Back and Search) should be closer to the Start button.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It generally works, but it gets awkward when the main screen contains other elements that scroll horizontally - for example, check out the main "Radio" page on Spotify - you can "swipe from the left" to open the hamburger, but you have to be reeeeeeeeally careful - there's only a few spots on the whole screen that will open the menu, and not scroll the station lists. At that point, it's easier to just reach for the hamburger.

Are you talking about Android here? For the most part, Android handles this quite elegantly (as elegantly as you can call anything Android! :amaze:). For elements that slide horizontally on the same page as the hamburger menu, you just start sliding from inside the edge a bit. Sliding in from the bezel opens the hamburger menu. It is quite intuitive once you learn it.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, its a new feature in Windows 10 on large screens.

May I ask, what does the new feature do? When you hold the Windows button down, what happens?

Entire drawing canvas gets pushed halfway to the bottom, image mockup below:
Windows_10_(mobile).jpg

__

The action is very useful. To exit this mode you can either tap in the empty space, or hold the Windows key for a second time.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should make the location of hamburger menu an option in the settings. My ideal location is lower right corner.

Also the navigation buttons (Back and Search) should be closer to the Start button.

Unfortunately if they did this many apps would lose canvas space.
Windows_10_(mobile).jpg

P.S: Sorry for my crude mockups.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb