Hamburger menu system SUCKS for one handed orientation!

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Enough swiping until a5cent is satisfied ;)
LOL 😁.

I'd prefer for a quick toggle action/gesture based on the ellipsis's "..." To access the hamburger. Very simple but huge implications.
One, it takes care of the one handed use case.
Two, it already exits' for former windows phone users, easily enough for adjustments.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Enough swiping until a5cent is satisfied ;)

lol. I'd prefer a standardized solution that depends neither on hidden UI or on left/right swiping, and which replaces the side drawer with a bottom drawer, basically merging the side drawer with the app bar menu.

A bit hard to explain without a mock-up, but I think there are enough concepts around explaining the basic ideas. Shouldn't be necessary anymore.

Last edited:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
What's bad is not because of the hamburger menu itself, but why Microsoft did not copy the swipe in from left to open the submenus just like on Android??! I will not need to bother to stretch my thumb all the way up if we have the swiping gesture. Did Google patented that? If not, I hope MS can just implement it ASAP.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
What's bad is not because of the hamburger menu itself, but why Microsoft did not copy the swipe in from left to open the submenus just like on Android??! I will not need to bother to stretch my thumb all the way up if we have the swiping gesture. Did Google patented that? If not, I hope MS can just implement it ASAP.

You have to stretch your thumb anyways because the items in the menu are at the top.

Besides, that gesture conflicts with gestures in the app itself, for example swiping to delete an item.

Windows 10 is great as it is, we don't need more gestures and complexity.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You have to stretch your thumb anyways because the items in the menu are at the top.

Besides, that gesture conflicts with gestures in the app itself, for example swiping to delete an item.

Windows 10 is great as it is, we don't need more gestures and complexity.

When you swipe to delete an item, you swipe ON the item, not from the edge of the screen. See how well Android has implemented the swipe gesture to open the burger menu. No conflicts at all.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
When you swipe to delete an item, you swipe ON the item, not from the edge of the screen. See how well Android has implemented the swipe gesture to open the burger menu. No conflicts at all.

There is no much difference between those two gestures, that would generate wrong inputs and confusion on the users.
Besides gestures are hard to discover, I bet a insignificant share of the Android users use that gesture. Personally, most of the time I activate it unintentionally and it's annoying.

The hamburger menu is no supposed to contain features used frequently, there is no drama in using your other hand a couple of times per week.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
And you can always use the one hand mode by long pressing the start button.

Yes, the so called solution to the problem they created with the horrible hamburger menu in the upper left corner.
Universal Design is a concept used in architecture where the goal is to design to make spaces accessible and usable by as much of the population as possible.
I don't understand why the goal isn't to provide settings for both right and left "one handed" use AND then all of those that want to use two hands could certainly do so too.
Universal Design / inclusive design. It's good for everyone.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the so called solution to the problem they created with the horrible hamburger menu in the upper left corner.
Universal Design is a concept used in architecture where the goal is to design to make spaces accessible and usable by as much of the population as possible.
I don't understand why the goal isn't to provide settings for both right and left "one handed" use AND then all of those that want to use two hands could certainly do so too.
Universal Design / inclusive design. It's good for everyone.

The problem was created by big phones, not by the hamburger menu. The problem is present in all the platforms. The "One-Handed mode" of Windows 10 would be useful in WP8 too. In WP8 is hard to reach the first row of tiles, the notification center or the first few items on lists.

In general, smartphones are too complex for aiming for single-handed-use. The user experience get worse as the designers strive for single-handed-use increasing the compromises. The best we can get is single-handed-use for the most common tasks, but not for every single feature. Windows 10 gets that right, It's a well balanced user experience.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
There is no much difference between those two gestures, that would generate wrong inputs and confusion on the users.
Besides gestures are hard to discover, I bet a insignificant share of the Android users use that gesture. Personally, most of the time I activate it unintentionally and it's annoying.

The hamburger menu is no supposed to contain features used frequently, there is no drama in using your other hand a couple of times per week.

Base on your statement, I bet users will be confused by swiping left or right in the email app, where left is to delete and right is to archive?? Not sure about you, but I'm not confused at all. Not sure why do you speak on behalf of Android users.

I don't see people having hard time discovering the pull down gesture to reveal the notification center since is just so well hidden. But swiping from the left is hard to discover? You must be kidding me.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
​Quite a wrong attitude. If you have given up on the world, no need to discourage others. Let the Uservoices flow.

I use a phablet (Note 2) - almost always 2 handed, and yet I don't like the hamburger on the Lumia 640. It is not a gesture friendly UI feature. Despite all the ballyhoo about Apples Human Interaction design creds, every time I use one of their devices, I find it cumbersome - it is based on touch. Windows Phone stood out because of the Panoramas, Pivots, and gesture friendly approach to User interaction. Now they are running away from that and aping iOS/Android. Copying them (saying that something is ok, because those 2 OSes have them) is a failing proposition. Differentiating with superior design is what is needed.

Consistency of experience across devices is desired, but it is undeniable that each device (laptop, tablet, phone/phablet) has a different usability language that it understands best. Gestures win out on a phone/phablet over touching. Touching elements may be better on tablets in certain situations, but due to the size not the same on smaller devices.
I have not given up on the world, I have made a compromise. No operating system is ever going to be 100% perfect, so instead of complaining unendingly about how it's not perfect, you compromise and meet the operating system the rest of the way. I agree with you that Windows 10 Mobile needs some serious work on the gesture front. You should be able to swipe from the left side to open the menu at the very least. In quite a few ways navigational cues aren't as polished as they were on Windows Phone 8/.1, either. But they still work, offering a single place for every menu in an application to be accessed at any time (rather than swiping through menu after menu until you find the one you're looking for), while an ellipsis in the bottom corner often offers a place for quick actions on that particular page or menu. And, no matter how you look at it, familiarity for iOS and Android users is important. After all, they have 96% of the market commutatively and are the main target for Microsoft. We want users from them. We can't alienate them by giving them an interface that they won't understand, and force them to rewire their brains when they probably already aren't certain about Windows Mobile. Instead of using pivots (which has plenty of their own issues), and instead of using hamburger menus exactly like the competition, Microsoft needs to improve the menus. Like I said, not perfect, but Microsoft has the potential to take an idea already in use and already known and improve on it to make it faster, more intuitive, and better implemented on touch screen devices.
I don't have the wrong attitude sir, as I'm not the one completely against any change without first thinking about the positives of those changes. Instead of yelling for Microsoft to go back to the past, without any improvements on something that worked but had its own issues, think instead on the improvements Microsoft can make now, and the possible benefits in store for these decisions. Let the user voices flow, indeed.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
But single handed use is one of my driving factors in returning this S6 and sticking with WP. 😡

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Spectrum90,
Regarding your comments about one handed use being hopeless due to large phones and having nothing to do with sticking the horrible hamburger menu in the upper left corner. Respectfully, I disagree.
I'll stick with my opinion that "universal design", useful to right handed and left handed people, should be the goal. Then the two handed users would be fine too, even if they weren't the ONLY ones accommodated.

The ellipses, configurable, for the lower left or right corner, would accommodate everyone. Change the ellipses to an ugly hamburger button, in the lower corner, if you must, so the apple and google people will be able to comprehend it.

Last edited:

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have not given up on the world, I have made a compromise. No operating system is ever going to be 100% perfect, so instead of complaining unendingly about how it's not perfect, you compromise and meet the operating system the rest of the way. I agree with you that Windows 10 Mobile needs some serious work on the gesture front. You should be able to swipe from the left side to open the menu at the very least. In quite a few ways navigational cues aren't as polished as they were on Windows Phone 8/.1, either. But they still work, offering a single place for every menu in an application to be accessed at any time (rather than swiping through menu after menu until you find the one you're looking for), while an ellipsis in the bottom corner often offers a place for quick actions on that particular page or menu. And, no matter how you look at it, familiarity for iOS and Android users is important. After all, they have 96% of the market commutatively and are the main target for Microsoft. We want users from them. We can't alienate them by giving them an interface that they won't understand, and force them to rewire their brains when they probably already aren't certain about Windows Mobile. Instead of using pivots (which has plenty of their own issues), and instead of using hamburger menus exactly like the competition, Microsoft needs to improve the menus. Like I said, not perfect, but Microsoft has the potential to take an idea already in use and already known and improve on it to make it faster, more intuitive, and better implemented on touch screen devices.
I don't have the wrong attitude sir, as I'm not the one completely against any change without first thinking about the positives of those changes. Instead of yelling for Microsoft to go back to the past, without any improvements on something that worked but had its own issues, think instead on the improvements Microsoft can make now, and the possible benefits in store for these decisions. Let the user voices flow, indeed.

Please use paragraphs. (How can anyone read what you have written as a long long statement.) I want to figure out what you are trying to say.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Spectrum90,
Regarding your comments about one handed use being hopeless due to large phones and having nothing to do with sticking the horrible hamburger menu in the upper left corner. Respectfully, I disagree.
I'll stick with my opinion that "universal design", useful to right handed and left handed people, should be the goal. Then the two handed users would be fine too, even if they weren't the ONLY ones accommodated.

The ellipses, configurable, for the lower left or right corner, would accommodate everyone. Change the ellipses to an ugly hamburger button, in the lower corner, if you must, so the apple and google people will be able to comprehend it.
they can't change the ellipsis to a hamburger. Universal apps need to scale remember. And the layout needs to be similar on every device. If you reduce the size of the app on the desktop to something like 480x800, that hamburger button is going to be on the bottom right. Instead of the top left where it is in the OS almost all the time. There is no consistency in that.

We should wait for Microsoft to implement some kind of swiping gesture for phones only.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
It seems Microsoft took feedback from the insiders about adding pivots and added them into their android app instead of their Windows 10 app -_-

Lol yus! I actually prefer using this app on Android than on WM. -sadly this is the one step forward, two steps backwards philosophy that MS has...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss