Windows 10 is nowhere near ready for RTM! 10162 problems

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
At first it was slow as hell, but this build has made my laptop usable and it is old. It's running the slowest hard drive on the planet too and everything is nice and responsive. My brother's laptop is much newer and better and it runs amazing.

My only disappointment with Windows 10 is that they haven't included the transparent tiles with background images. I figured they would try to make the experience as universal as possible. It would be so neat to have that on my desktop. But it could still happen since Windows 10 is a service now.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
When I log in, the password field is sometimes obscured by small area of text that reads 'Log In'.
The Start Menu often refuses to show when I click left-click it, but does respond with a right-click.
Tiles randomly disappear and reappear.
Time keeps switch to the wrong time (shows GMT instead of BST.)

Good things
It looks as if I can access HFS disks (I have a dual booting Hackintosh and accessing the SSD from within Windows is very useful)
Reasonably good interface with pleasant animations.
Fast operation my old x86 apps runs speedily and are stable.

But there is one glaring feature that will stop my upgrading immediately... Windows Apps. Why are they so much slower than x86 apps? I don't have a slow system - SSD, 8GB RAM, i7, 2GB GPU - and apps like Music take several times longer to open than VLC, for example.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I have none of those issue with this build. Absolutely none of them. If you want to talk about the folly of Edge, then you'd be onto something but I will give you this, and I can't say its MS or Steam but one game I play a lot is Cities: Skylines. It will not play for me. But Photoshop and most everything else works.

Cities: Skylines is a great game.
Anyways, Microsoft is several builds ahead of us. Before builds are released to the Insiders, they go through internal testing first, which takes time. Build 10162 was probably finished two to three weeks before we ever saw it.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
When I log in, the password field is sometimes obscured by small area of text that reads 'Log In'.
The Start Menu often refuses to show when I click left-click it, but does respond with a right-click.
Tiles randomly disappear and reappear.
Time keeps switch to the wrong time (shows GMT instead of BST.)

Good things
It looks as if I can access HFS disks (I have a dual booting Hackintosh and accessing the SSD from within Windows is very useful)
Reasonably good interface with pleasant animations.
Fast operation my old x86 apps runs speedily and are stable.

But there is one glaring feature that will stop my upgrading immediately... Windows Apps. Why are they so much slower than x86 apps? I don't have a slow system - SSD, 8GB RAM, i7, 2GB GPU - and apps like Music take several times longer to open than VLC, for example.

Well I just opened up music and it opens up fast. However, if you do a packet capture you see it is downloading information from the internet to populate the main page and as such will be dependent on your internet connection. It seems all the MS apps are internet dependent. Even something like OneNote synchronizes off the cloud. It opens pretty quick though. I find that if you close and re-open the apps they go much quicker since they probably only check if content is synced instead of downloading anything major.

If the time keeps switching try looking in your bios to see if the wrong time is set in there.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Cities: Skylines is a great game.
Anyways, Microsoft is several builds ahead of us. Before builds are released to the Insiders, they go through internal testing first, which takes time. Build 10162 was probably finished two to three weeks before we ever saw it.

I'm going to wait for the internal testing then because Cities: Skylines has me hooked. :)

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
What kind of pc do you have? If it's a custom build then drivers/ firmware for windows 10 may not be available yet. I have a surface pro 3 and haven't had any of those issues, possibly because MS has tested extensively with my particular configuration being that it's their hardware.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used Edge at all, but sounds like its broken. If it is being written by the same people who have been writing IE for the last 15 years, then im not shocked.

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I too am having these issues. Start menu rarely opens, edge browser rarely opens, wifi adapter issues, overall stability issues, etc. I too feel like this will not be ready in time for July 29 release. Im using windows 10 10162 on my Lenovo p500 touch.

jtzako

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I havent had issues with this build either.. I did have major problems a couple builds back but doing a 'refresh' fixed them. Maybe that would help you?

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Well I just opened up music and it opens up fast. However, if you do a packet capture you see it is downloading information from the internet to populate the main page and as such will be dependent on your internet connection. It seems all the MS apps are internet dependent. Even something like OneNote synchronizes off the cloud. It opens pretty quick though. I find that if you close and re-open the apps they go much quicker since they probably only check if content is synced instead of downloading anything major.

If the time keeps switching try looking in your bios to see if the wrong time is set in there.

'Music' is doing pretty much what iTunes does, scanning the disks for music, downloading infromation from the internet, and doing everything I don't want it to do. I don't use iTunes on my MacBook nor on my Hackintosh. So I won't use Music.

Closing and reopening the apps is not a solution. MSFT must do better.

I don't want to be hooked up to the internet all the time. Although my connection is fast and unlimited, apps should ask me before attempting to conncet. Darn it, programs I've installed myself have to ask permission to run (UAC), so I don't think it unreasonable for apps from MSFT to ask permission for internet access.

BIOS time is set correctly. The Hackintosh correctly displays the time, but the setting in Windows just won't stick. I tell it to adjust for daylight saving (or British Summer Time as we call it), the time changes, but upon restart it reverts back. Bothersome niggle.

Mail takes 4 times longer to open than Thunderbird.
When I open Photos, I'm repeatedly prompted to enter my Microsoft account details. I don't want to sync with OneDrive - it's too clunky and slow.

Delta336

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Installed update 10162 via ISO this time, everything ran well for a day, the following day all the apps were crashing, they open up and zip close down quick. So I reinserted the ISO disk and install it again, clicking on keeping all my files. After install was complete everything was working fine again with no crashes.

I concluded that some files got corrupted somehow and the re-installation corrected the issues, I will continue to monitor and see if the problem does not return. For those experiencing similar type problems I guess that's one way to resolve some of the issues.

Edge IMHO will continue to be a work in progress, even after the Win 10 launch at the end of the month. I will hold off installing Windows 10 on my main system and just continue to use my spare computer during the year once everything is launched and its up and running.

Cortana is finicky with my built in mic on my lap top, half the time it cannot understand what I am saying. What's funny is that it did caution me that my MIC was around before Windows 10 and therefore might not work as well. :amaze:

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I have none of these bugs on my desktop gaming machine. Even tablet mode works awesomely (I've switched to it a few times to play around). Well I agree with one thing, and that's Edge. Edge will sometimes crash after about an hour of browsing, and sometimes I can't type into text boxes on Edge unless I refresh the page. Other than Edge, everything else is PERFECT for me on this build.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
most of any problems people are experiencing at this point is due to drivers for your hardware and not windows 10, I would wait until it is officially released on July 29th and get updated windows 10 drivers for your hardware.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
most of any problems people are experiencing at this point is due to drivers for your hardware and not windows 10, I would wait until it is officially released on July 29th and get updated windows 10 drivers for your hardware.

July 29th is not to the public but to manufacturers and insiders. My guess is not all drivers will just appear on that day. Though most notebooks and devices contain standard chipsets etc. So unless yours is for a niche market it should work. But if you wanted to be different then you may have to wait a while. Also ms is likely still working with manufacturers to perfect included drivers. I'm mostly scared to upgrade my pc as it was custom built for gaming. But I'll take the dive anyways as I haven't played as much as I used to. I will definitely do an ISO backup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb