They promise 2 years.. Why not die already with such a terrible message?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok. stop ranting, start thinking.

We all know that technology sites will stick knives into whatever pig looks like it'll gain readers. Nothing smells like bacon more than declaring something is dead.

The actual situation is really simple, maybe too simple for people to really take in.

Microsoft is cutting back on the number of handsets it'll produce per year/two year cycle. There's going to be a "Value" handset, a "business" handset, and a "Flagship" handset. Having normal and XL versions of these will bring the number to 6. This will curtail the bewildering array of Lumias currently in the range. It'll also allow other manufacturers room to breathe in brining their handsets to market.

The job losses are mostly in Finland and are reactive to the smaller range of handsets.

This is a good thing. Tight, more focussed, better handsets.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
There is one key thing here and that is timing, it is either a stroke of genius or the case of impatience.

Time will tell.

How on earth can this be genius? It is fatal!
Unless Microsoft secretly knows that Samsung and HTC or Sony are going to make top notch windows 10 phones that don't suck compared to their Android counterparts. Or unless Microsoft does a big event very soon to announce a flagship that blows the whole world away, but I doubt that very much. It will have cute features like Hello and Continuum but the majority won't care. And even then, the timing could have been better and well explained. They should look at Apple how they communicate and do marketing.
In every other situation it is anything but genius and it damages the trust in the platform.

Last edited:

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone (mobile) isn't dead. It's not dying either. The app-gap is closing more and more everyday and the OS is getting known and way more mature over the world.

They'll just stop BUILDING Microsoft Phones.

Remind me : Did Microsoft build any phone before they bought Nokia? Nope.
Did Windows Phone die there ? Nope.

So no, WP isn't dead at all. Big things are coming. And even if I was an iOs/Droid fan, I'll stick with my words. The annoncements with W10 (PC or Mobile) are charming. And people are getting interrested about it. The future is actually looking good from here.

Raymond Lavertue

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
What I understand is that Microsoft is going to focus on releasing six mobile phones a year for two years, cutting back the array of Lumias on the market. This will make every release an event. After all how many phones does Apple release per year? After two years they will asseess. By then Windows 10 Mobile will have been a catalyst to other manufacturers. I predict Microsoft will contunue to release a small number of their own phones yearly, while OEM manufacturing continues to take off.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
How on earth can this be genius? It is fatal!
Unless Microsoft secretly know that Samsung and HTC or Sony are going to make top notch windows 10 phones that don't suck compared to their Android counterparts. Or unless Microsoft does a big event very soon to announce a flagship that blows the whole world away but I doubt that very much. It will have cute features like Hello and Continuum but the majority won't care. And even then, the timing could have been better and well explained. They should look at Apple how they communicate and do marketing.
In every other situation it is anything but genius and it damages the trust in the platform.

Windows 10 for Phones brings a lot more than that however whether they are implemented in a phone at all is another matter entirely.

Like I said, time will tell.

batuhanbkeskin

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I hope they really focus on software side and make better mobile OS. I think the market is overdominated with lumias. We don't need more lumias, we need more official apps.

Clive Rennie

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft is right to do what they are doing 3 segments of the market = Continuum why do you need all the other phones whe you can have 2 or 3 that will work as a phone or a pc plug in your a pc unplug your a phone that's all you need. I'm not giving up on MS. have faith all lets not do the doom and gloom technology is changing and I'm willing to give MS the benefit.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I hope they make a lumia 620 successor. I am fed up with giant phones and want a small, but sturdy phone.

L620 with a CC 3061 (water spill) case was a clear winner for me as I use it for sport ativities where I dont have to be careful not to drop a phone or spill water over it.

Id also like to see "hey cortana" enabled on all WP phones.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Just saw CBS news this morning reported on the ms mobile debacle . I think once CBS or any other media is reporting on it ....its either really good or really bad .....for ms its bad:(

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
It's all about the apps, if they'll develop apps for W10 then market share will grow and OEMs will get on board, it is as simple as that.

All my friends love my L930 and the OS design, many ask me if they should switch, I'm just asking them what apps are they using and all of them would be usually missing one or two apps on windows store (or they would have limited functionalities) so I'm telling them to wait a bit more. This is to say that outside the US people are bored of android and iphone and they wold gladly embrace something new.

This is a bet that can be won in 2 years, and if it is lost then it won't be won in 4 years either...

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
WOW what a terrible message! Who the **** will make apps when they know Windows mobile will be dead in two years? Great message Microsoft. You are ******* dumb!!!!! And the timing. All these layoffs right before the release of Windows 10 and flagships. Those guys ay Microsoft have their brains in their ***! Do they wanna die badly??? Windows is doomed with every single tech site out there claiming windows mobile is dead. Long term this will mean windows as a whole will die. Mobile is essential. Which OEM will makes windows mobiles???? So far I can name almost NONE. Who made any device with the Microsoft health kit? NOBODY. Microsoft is acting in ways that are beyond stupidity. Giving such bad messages and still expecting Windows mobile 10 to to hit off? Are they smoking mushrooms? Who will make apps when the future is said to be unsure after 2 years???? I repeat: NOBODY. Nadella is the biggest fail ever with no patience.

Two years are over in a heart beat and nothing will have changed. Thus Windows mobile is dead.

To answer your question, very, very few developers are investing in windows phone. We already know this, unfortunately. This is bad for ALL platforms though, as android and ios can continue the daily grind, without worry of loosing 25% of their markets by a third place competitor. It simply isn't going to happen. There will be no innovate fires lit under them, and they can relax. This is bad for ALL of us, not just windows users.

I wouldn't pin this on balmer, nadelia, or anyone in the developmental stack. This is a _too_late_to_market_ problem, that never cured itself. Sometimes companies relax (as google and apple can now) with their marketshares (like microsoft did with office and it's desktop OS's five years ago) and think the next 'big' thing isn't much to worry about. They are wrong, and pay a hefty cost.

More importantly, the overall gist of the FAN websites like wpcentral are CHOCK FULL of arguing and doom/gloom posts, INSTEAD OF POSITIVE DEVELOPMENTS. This is a telling sign for what is really going to happen in the future. No matter how positive and upbeat a spin the moderators and link-grabbers put on the situation, the developers can see straight through the spin, and credibility is hurt in the process.

One more time, I'd love to see a real third place COMPETITOR to prevent ios and google from resting. I don't care if it's symbian, ms, nokia, jola, sailfish, linux, bsd, or whatever running under the screen. I don't care where it comes from. China is fine. Just something to keep a fire burning under ios and android. Right now, there is nothing.

Ejwan2

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Its not just the hardware. Who is going to write apps for a product line that has no long term commitment from its manufacturer? Microsoft thought it was tough getting developers before, wait to see what happens now.

ric2001

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I also have to agree with the OP on this. I've been reading a lot of these tech sites and it doesn't sound good. Even though they have announced they'll be making fewer phones for the next 2 years, it's not a big headline and they need to refute others' claims that they are throwing in the towel. Why even announce "2 years"? What does that do to the developers that are thinking of creating apps for WP?

Microsoft's messaging needs to be stronger. I used to see ads on TV but not anymore. Makes me wonder if Nadella is purposefully trying to slowly get out of it (without seeming to do so).

I've had a 920 since Dec '12 and have been patiently waiting for a flagship. I was at the mall with family this past weekend and walked by an AT&T store. I decided to go in and must say the S6 Active was very tempting. I'm willing to wait out the rest of the year. I think this is part of the strategy, to cut back on phones so they can release them sooner and not have people like me wait for what seems like forever...

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
OK, here's the deal. Windows 10 is going to be popular. Windows 10 Mobile phones will be popular with businesses who are going with Win10. Continuum will help with that.

Do you really think that The Boss at the Company cares whether you have the latest hot games, entertainment and social media apps? Here's a hint, he doesn't. He hopes that you don't have any.

I won't happen overnight, but businesses that up grade will make or break Win10 and Win10 mobile within the 2 year time frame.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb