Microsoft pulling an Apple|Bye bye to OEM's? I hope so!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
God Yes.

I have been saying this for like a year now..Many people claim that Windows Phone is dead...and that may be true. Even Paul Thurrott claims it'll go away mid-2016.

Maybe.

But I choose to be a bit optimistic and I am hoping Microsoft is doing the one thing I hoped it always would do and start adopting an apple Mentality.

I've said for the last year or so, Microsoft has been diluting it's lumia brand and weakening it is lumia brand in favor of trying to not step on any toes with the other OEMs in hopes they will do something worthwhile.

It's now mid-2015 and all we've seen in the last year or so, is the HTC One M8 windows...an Android rehash that is woefully irrelevant...even for a windows phone.

You know it is bad when people keep saying we haven't seen a real flagship since the Lumia 930, despite the fact the HTC One m8 windows is not even a year old yet[/B

Please stop relying on these OEMs who really do nothing for this platform and I hope with this new apple method of lessening the amount of windows phone released, Microsoft is going to bring out their best....instead of just their good enough.

These OEMs are not going to help you sell your product Microsoft...they really haven't for 5 years...and you have some momentum.

I am not saying drop the OEMs(I wouldn't mind....they are irrelevant) but stop relying on them and bring your best.

You flooded the market like Android with Windows Phone 8.1 now pull an Apple and bring out the premium for Windows 10 and stop waiting on these OEMs to help you.

Personally, i'd love to see most of the OEMs done away with...and leave us with Blu phones and Lumias.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Microsoft pulling an Apple with Windows 10? I hope so

It may work.
Sadly I'm not holding much hope.

Expect the worst...hope for the best.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't mind having oems still around though. They are relevant to a certain degree, but I do agree that MS has to slow down and go a bit Appelish in the way of bringing a select few "hero" devices per year of their own.

Hopefully this encourages other oems to innovate again like they did when MS introducted the Surface line. That wasn't very succesful till the Surface 2 pro I believe, but you can definitly see oems coming up with some interesting design and hardware options lately - let's hope this also works for W10M in the long term.

That being said, HTC was really helpful back in the WP7 days and Samsung were in the WP7.5 era. So many oppertunities with Windows 10 Mobile. Especially now that MS announced that they are slowing down on releasing their own phones. Gives more breathing room for other oems.

Alas, time will tell. But imho I believe oems stopped caring once Nokia flooded the market with all sorts of Lumia's, ranging from high to low spec. Was it a nessecary evil? Probably. Did it backfire? In my opinion it did. But they (MS/Nokia) didn't had much choice at that point in time.

I just hope we'll see GREAT Lumia devices that set the bar, and sweet phones made by oems inspired by those. I really enjoyed my HTC 8X for example, my buddy still rocks his 8S and those were inspired by Nokia's colourful phones. Well, except the two-tone dipped 8S, that was pretty unique.

And I like my M8 even though it hurts to know its just a recycled Android phone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am just ready to be done with the oems. As you said the m8 is a hand me down basically and I would hate to see that there is no real thought into these phones and they just throw something out. So definitely hoping that eventually these oems will go so Microsoft can stop worrying about hurting their feelings or making them mad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm optimistic. Windows 10 is already what I want, Mobile is next.. Much has to change to reflect its Windows brother, but I believe it will happen after 29th.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't updated to the newest os version yet.l and this time last I am curious to do so on less powerful hardware so I am going to use the xl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs