BUILD 10166: Changes, Improvements, Bugs

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Same behavior on a L635 upgrading from 10149. An update may be available in the store, which won't open because of this error message.

What's worse than a brick? A brick with tiles that don't open anything.

Can't hard reset, settings gives the same error. Time to break out the recovery tool back to 8.1 and try again.

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Wait a bit... restart the phone and and goto app updates in store ... there must be a long list of apps pending to download wait for all to complete and install... then restart again and see if it work

This is confusing. I can see the tiles and apps. It must have skipped over the migration bar and doing it in the background. Whatsapp is opening now.

EvilGardenGnome

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I've made a few attempts to get the update (uninstalling for space, checking for app updates, restarts). Still don't have it, and getting the same issue (item #3 above, as the system won't let me post a link) each time after the download (during installing).

Gonna flash back to 8.1 tonight and try and get the update from there.

Dr Mayank Pandey

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
mine L1020 is having the same problem but i left the phone on my table, now most of the apps are opening and i can see the wifi network still consuming data means something is going on behind the scene :winktongue:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This is confusing. I can see the tiles and apps. It must have skipped over the migration bar and doing it in the background. Whatsapp is opening now.

The tiles will show before the app has actually been downloaded. It's been one of the biggest causes of confusion for the mobile preview builds. They should just keep the "gear screen" up until all the apps have downloaded. You're actually opening and using the os before it's finished reinstalling everything.

If you're still having these issues after 30 minutes or so then do a hard reset.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Apps are updating in the background. . . . so hands off. When the homescreen reemerges . . . . there seems to be "new mail" counts for each of the my Outlook folders! And the correction to the Outlook color scheme has made it much more legible. There is still some confusion between different outlook.com folders but progress, not perfection!

wizbit

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Excellent! The scaling issue on the 930 seems to have been completely fixed!
The update was a much better experience as well on this build. Still no Hey Cortana, but I'm staying with it.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So far - looks really nice, like the new text size.

Updated all apps that would update in the Store, everything seems okay, but -

Can't add a background to the Start page, either as a full image or as a tile image. Since first trying to do a custom wallpaper, the phone has been displaying my old pre-installation desktop image (but only a portion of it, blown up to fill the screen).

EDIT -- Fixed on a full reset. I thought since I'd been using 8.1 that I wouldn't need a reset to do the jump to the new version of 10, but apparently I did! Thankfully, a reset from 10166 just put itself back again without any trouble, and I got some features that weren't there in my 8.1-to-10166 update before.

Only bug I can see so far (which might not even be a bug - maybe they've disabled it to encourage greater data collection for the build) is that you can't turn your phone off, only restart.

Last edited:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The first serious improvement I immediately noticed is that my pinned exchange folders are now working correctly and showing an unread item count. In the last build the pinned folder would just re-open outlook mail from the state it was in when last closed. Very big plus for me. I missed quite a few emails because of this with 10149.

It also installed the my verizon mobile, verizon backup assistant and nfl mobile apps, all three of which it hadn't been able to do in either of the previous two builds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb