BUILD 10166: Changes, Improvements, Bugs

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
anyone tell me this build (10166) call and sms work correctly? because i want to install this biuld in my primary phone (lumia 930).

It should but you never know before you try. Some people "lost" the data connection. So it's up to you and you should know it is not advices by MS to use it on your primary device.

But first download and check the WPRT because that's your only way back. And during the download and update be sure your battery is fully loaded and keep your phone on the charger. Furthermore get your phone out a case to prevent "overheating".

Good luck and "Don't do the crime if you can not di the time".

jcboliveira

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
1 - No problem with two step authentication, added the Office365 account and it asked me for the code, in fact my problem was that at first I was using a password from the azure active directory, as soon I used the Office365 main password it worked.

2 - There is a bug. Just put unlimited data plan and pin the data menu to the start screen to make it easy to check.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Be careful texting pics! Something weird just happened. I texted a pic to someone just now. The other person received two separate pics, the one I sent and some other random one on my phone. This could be a very bad thing

wizbit

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
1 - No problem with two step authentication, added the Office365 account and it asked me for the code, in fact my problem was that at first I was using a password from the azure active directory, as soon I used the Office365 main password it worked.

2 - There is a bug. Just put unlimited data plan and pin the data menu to the start screen to make it easy to check.

I put in the code, click next and nothing happens. I've even tried the multi auth app. The notification comes through and I click on verify but again, nothing happens. It could have something to do with MDM in Office365. The original OneDrive app for 8.1 doesn't support MDM either, although the Android and iOS versions do. I think the new Outlook and Calendar apps are now the same. I will never upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile if their own apps don't support Intune.

I also tries to change the data limit to unlimited, but it doesn't accept any setting. You hit save and go back into the setting and it still shows as unspecified.

prem2530

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Does the new store app on build 10166 have an option to install apps manually? Which is already available on old store app (install local apps)

Tonytoronto2015

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
well, back to 8.1 for me.
After so many bugs on 10166 was forced to go back. 10149 was slow but worked fine for the most part. Not 10166.
Phone started doing some funny stuff with Cortana, using hands free the phone would receive command to open app, but would get stuck on the background page. Than the same started happening with the camera button, the phone would wake up bot gets stuck on the background page. And a few more show stopping bugs, Decided to hard reset phone, the phone got stuck at at page where it ask to press Next so a few more setting can be set, after a few reboots finally went passed that page.But, the Cortana bugs and camera button bugs were still there. The Live titles for a few apps would go blank all the time, doing unpinning works but annoying. a few other bugs here and there but not to grave.
Decided to hard reset it one more time, big mistake. Could not pass the screen where i have to press next to complete more settings, didnt matter how many times i tried or how long i waited. No way to bypass that screen, did a hard reset with buttons, phone would no longer boot, ended up with sad face. Thank goodness for recovery software.
Great to try and such, but still long way away from everyday usable. Maybe next one...........

Aaron Witter1

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Had been working fine, a few bugs but nothing major, since Thursday (Friday?). Today my Gmail account via Outlook stopped syncing. I screwed up when I deleted it from my people app and put it back, now it has Gmail 2 (no 1) and both calendar and mail now crash a few seconds after opening.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The new build has been pretty fast for the most part but Cortana was so hit and miss and mostly miss when I would try to set a reminder or ask where a business was.

Both my main 1520 and my spare Icon had the Windows 10 updates but not a fresh install and no reset.
So I just did a reset on my test ICON and Cortana seemed to be working so much better right away so now I am about to reset my 1520 and see how that goes.

Thamarai manalan88

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
In store the apps are all in different different languages. The updates for some apps also not showing for example Line app is updated to Version 4.2 but in my store it still shows V4.1 and also in Chinese language.. Anyone have this issue?

uros2404

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Solution for unavailable apps from SD card: Change transparency of the tiles, has to do something with it, I've done it accidentally and brought the apps and tiles to life.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Had been working fine, a few bugs but nothing major, since Thursday (Friday?). Today my Gmail account via Outlook stopped syncing. I screwed up when I deleted it from my people app and put it back, now it has Gmail 2 (no 1) and both calendar and mail now crash a few seconds after opening.
MS updated Outlook yesterday and even the PC version is acting a bit funky. My Outlook on phone was working fine but now none of the accounts will sync and the app crashes.

Sam_93

May 23, 2015
Visit site
some apps not updating on Lumia 640XL . Showing error 0X803F8001. Just few apps like kindle touch audio display etc . resetting is not helping

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
MS updated Outlook yesterday and even the PC version is acting a bit funky. My Outlook on phone was working fine but now none of the accounts will sync and the app crashes.

I had the same issues and I believe it's linked to the "my account" part of the settings. Going there (settings, account, my account), settings crashes immediately. I think this is what causes the subsequent crashes in Outlook : the main MS account. I've HR my 535 and restored, everything is OK right now, and I'm not adding a second account in any Office app (onenote/onedrive/word/etc.), as they require that "work and school account" feature.

So far so good.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
HERE IS A BIG BUG I found...

I set Cortana to ALWAYS announce text messages, so if the phone is in my pocket, I can answer a text with out touching my phone. It does not work right now anyway on this build but it is enabled.

So I got a phone call a little while ago and I was talking on the phone, then a text came in, Cortana's voice overtook the phone call interrupting the call.

Major bug that needs to be addressed...

Added feedback for this issue...

rebel_yell

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
New 830, up to date Denim. Updated to 10166 without a hitch. When the phone reset it took about 30 minutes to load. The screen would show "Loading..." then go blank, and then repeat the "Loading..." screen. After a day I decided to do a factory reset. The new build loaded without a problem. Everything worked well until the screen froze. So, I reset the phone and once again I received the "Loading ..." screen again. What is odd is that I can pull down the notification screen as it loads and the screen will be present for a few seconds and it disappears. I also can press and hold the back arrow and I can see a window (the "Load" window). When I pull down the notification screen and press the "All settings" button I can see the settings menu. Nothing works until the software loads (see the home screen) I just thought it was peculiar. I like build 10166. Some apps take longer to load and Win 10 might be more than the 830 can handle which is why I will be upgrading to one of the upcoming Win 10 Microsoft phones. The only real problems I've encountered are the random freezes and the lengthy load times. I'm going to continue using it until the freezes become intolerable because the time it has been taking just to boot up is a real bummer.Does anyone have a clue about the slow load time? I've seen comments from other phones (different from the 830) complaining of slow boot times).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99