Windows build 10166 safe to be installed on primary phone?

Praxius1

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
After 10 hours I still did not remove it which cannot be said about previous builds. If you perform hard reset and do not restore a backup you get a pretty good experience. I got one crash related to Pictures app so far and that's it. Just to add, I have L1520.

What's interesting is I did the whole hard reset / recovery wipe process for my 930 for the last build and had to do everything all over from scratch three times before the last build finally installed and started to function properly. It was frustrating beyond belief

With this build, I just did the normal update, let it restart and do it's thing with no hard reset / wipe or recovery. It's functioning just fine and fixed all the apps I had that were stuck with errors and / or updated all the apps that I purchased but installed as demos.

This was the smoothest update by far.

Then again, I could have simply been one of the lucky ones.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I didn't read the entire thread in on my phone. I installed the latest win 10 on my test 735 and not impressed. Its losing its windows phone design that update 2 for 8.1 gives. WP 8.1 update 2 is amazing I love it, but is the latest win10 preview suitable for my 930 which is my main major phone after my htc one m8 (android)

Praxius1

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I think now the question is:

Is a hard reset necessary??

Based on my experiences with my 930, No.

Please note that this is based on my Unlocked 930 running the previous Fast Ring Build. I can't say what will happen if you are on slow ring or using an older build on a different phone... But I did not hard reset this time and everything works just fine. Oh and all my stuff is still here on my phone.

As for Battery Life, it's not bad. It's better than it was in older builds and might even be better than the last build, but that's because you now have the ability in this build to access your background tasks/apps and switch a bunch of crap off..... This build even gave me a pop up on my Start Screen telling me I should switch off a few things to save battery.

All the previous builds I would have described as Alpha Builds..... This is the first build I could describe as a Mid-Late Stage Beta.

It's not complete or perfect, but it is pleasant to use daily on my primary phone and hardly any issues to speak of. If someone wanted to be introduced to W10M for the first time, this build would be it.

Oh, a side note: Why do people say "Daily Driver" when referencing their Primary Mobile Phone? I don't drive my phone and it's more than a simple driver for a printer or video card. Just say Primary Phone....

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't - plus when you use the photo browser - for example when you want to upload a picture via an app you get this asinine view of all the files - and they need to load again - and you can't just navigate to a folder - really Microsoft? really?

plus the start screen bug makes this build pretty much a non-starter - how it ever made it out with that kind of BLOCKER bug is beyond me - i mean I get that it's a preview - but c'mon - this renders the phone useless

Praxius1

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Well my wife put this on her 925 and with my 930, neither of us have this so called start screen bug. Lori I would say that bug isn't something everybody experiences, but a few do. I'm sure a hot fix will come soon

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is fine. In standby the phone is a room temperature, when you start doing something, yes I am talking about you, Candy Crush Saga, it warms up, but that's normal. It wasn't like that with the previous ones. It's still not on the same quality level as the 8.1 preview builds, but you can really use it daily and not be hindered by it.

jval88

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I am using it as my daily driver (L625), quite surprised that it works just fine (given the fact that my phone is old) except for the battery life and the looooong time before the apps on the SD Card loads properly after reboot.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Ivan, I did exactly what you have done and I find the OS is so much fluid and snappy. Thanks!So highly recommended to do a hard reset on a clean slate. Cheers !!!

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I think that settings migration is tuned for some models, but not for the others and the results can differ. The reset certainly helped my L1520.

cannon#WP

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I'd say no. As mentioned, this build works better on certain phones. I have no problems using it on my 920 but my experience on my One (main) is awful with the start screen bug. I'd switch to my ATIV if I could.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Question of 'Define stable enough for primary phone'. My answer, after looking through the bugs in just this thread, I would say 10166 NOT.

I will not want to scratch my head over everything I have to do over a small bugs here and there to get things fixed, let alone hard resetting my phone now and then.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
After the trying the previous build and running into all sorts of problems,I said I would wait till the official release.Curiosity got the better of me though and last night I I installed build 10166 on my 640.Took ages to install,but I was very pleased with it when it did.glance setting was back in extras and everything was smooth.I did a hard reset this morning anyway to make Sure I had a clean install.I have definitely noticed a couple of bugs,some crashes,but overall now I'm very happy,build is fast,responsive,and most problems I've run into were fixed with soft reset.glance setting was gone again after hard reset.(there are workarounds mentioned on this from though).I now expect to keep with w10 right trough now.I would recommend jumping on if your willing to do a little work to get around some of the bugs.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, it bricked my phone. Don't think my texts were backed up, but not a major loss. Used the recovery to get it back to 8.1 and trying to get to 10 again. Maybe it won't suck this time.

glovenc

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Just got the Lumia 735 on Verizon and I'm really tempted to try this build. The last build I had on the Lumia 822, which was two builds ago at least, bricked it and was practically unusable. I'm really reluctant after that experience. What I'm reading thus far seems to indicate I may be safe. Still a bit reluctant though.

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm impressed to the point of installing my apps and SIM card. Used and tested all day. Fast and even works with Band. Why does it dump Denim and revert to Cyan?
Turning off and on a few times cleared up delay/stalls of app updating.
822 Verizon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb