Windows build 10166 safe to be installed on primary phone?

Ganesh Venkat

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
It is safe to use this build as a daily driver if not for the endless start screen loading bug.
Solution: Just go to the startscreen settings and switch off the show more tiles toggle. That's it and this build is safe for everyday use.

sweeperdk

May 20, 2014
Visit site
It is safe to use this build as a daily driver if not for the endless start screen loading bug.
Solution: Just go to the startscreen settings and switch off the show more tiles toggle. That's it and this build is safe for everyday use.

Define "Safe for everyday use".

People are experiencing some apps not working. Does this still mean "safe for everyday use"? For some, yes. For others, no.

Praxius1

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Odd I have no loading screen issues, in fact I haven't seen a loading screen anywhere. Results vary of course but I also use an unlocked 930 and dev features for sideloading turned on, if that makes any difference.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
So far it's been great for me on my icon. I updated from 149 yesterday evening and just let the phone sit overnight while I slept. Woke up and soft reset. Battery drain that was in 149 is way better. Have had no problem with apps so far as a matter a fact in 149 I was having problems updating some apps including here maps and drive. All updated in 166 with no problems. It's a keeper for me at this point. I am pleasantly surprised.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

NO, it's always off on my phone and I still having problems with loading, even after hard reset and setting image to none, currently I'm testing it with radically reduced number of tiles on full screen wallpaper and 11% tile transparency, so far, so good....

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I would say if your phone has the horses for it, this build has my endorsement. On my HTC M8, its tight as you want it to be to be and comfortable with on the road.

Of course, its been with me on the road since the last build (10136) and it did 90 percent of what I use daily well. With this latest build however, this bad boy absolutely screams. And its very fast. If app developers want to make an impression of their work, they would do it here. It simply performs well and looks fantastic.

But keep in mind, when I did the 10136 update, I rolled it back to 8.1. I did a hard reset to "Hello" and avoiding 8.1 settings and apps re-populating my phone. Installed 10136. Then, I installed my apps a few at a time until I had my basics on.

I still maintain, 8.1 settings and WinXM don't work well together and it will take your phone a longer time to settle down with WinXM. And if after you update your phone is warm to the touch, its not ready to be used yet. The processor is working overtime to put things in place so its best to let it sit. When its cool, then its cool to use it but not before. Again, this is my experience for success and believe me, I've bumped around in the dark for weeks trying to make sense of this. So to answer the question, yes, its road ready and will only improve from here.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Build 10166 is working fine on both my 635 and 930, definitely good enough for a daily driver. I couldn't say that for the two prior builds but this one is fine, except as said above, I do miss "Hey Cortana" on my 930.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
After 10 hours I still did not remove it which cannot be said about previous builds. If you perform hard reset and do not restore a backup you get a pretty good experience. I got one crash related to Pictures app so far and that's it. Just to add, I have L1520.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't do it - I'm rolling my 1520 back to 8.1 - pictures App is an excerise in how to take a perfectly good app and totally make it useless - whoever thought it was a good idea to get rid of folders and glob every single picture on the phone into one massive list is an *****

also be aware that all the lumia photography apps are no longer in the store - and apps like zinio and proshot are not either - errr... why?

so disappointing in the way WP is going ..

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't do it - I'm rolling my 1520 back to 8.1 - pictures App is an excerise in how to take a perfectly good app and totally make it useless - whoever thought it was a good idea to get rid of folders and glob every single picture on the phone into one massive list is an *****

also be aware that all the lumia photography apps are no longer in the store - and apps like zinio and proshot are not either - errr... why?

so disappointing in the way WP is going ..

I see those apps in the store.

Anyways.. The pictures app, it was the best app in 8.1 I agree

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb