Windows build 10166 safe to be installed on primary phone?

danielgr

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't do it in my main device.
I say that because I just installed it this weekend on my 930 and had to go back to 8.1 after a day. Obviously some nice new stuff, but Killer problems for me:
? No linked mailbox
? Store crashes on every app, so I couldn't install new stuff not update existing ones.
? Many first party apps broken (guess that's because I couldn't update them).
? No pivots makes navigation a horrible experience (even the OneDrive app, you need to constantly go and hit the hamburger for everything unlike in W8.1 where you have both pivots and the hamburger).
? People app is so horrible it hurts to look at any of your contacts, social apps integration is broken for anything but twitter, which happens to be the only one I didn't need in the people hub (Facebook and Linkedin are dead), and groups support is dismal.
? Language switcher in keyboard is broken.
? Silent hours not working for calendar appointments.
? Device hub is broken so cannot properly interact with my wireless charger.
? Motion data is broken so can't track my daily activity

So, that's for my deal breakers, but otherwise the OS is usable and relatively bug free.

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Pepperdotnet: Thanks for that information about the firmware notice error. It didn't bother me in the least bit because 10166 is really good but I just wondered why it alerted the change and the 'about' doesn't even say what the firmware is. I did a search on Microsoft site and did not see the issue mentioned.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I would say battery life on my 1520 is much better but 10166 feels much buggier than the last build.

Biggest new feature is the battery settings app.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
For the most part it I but expect problems reading the SD card
PJ799tv.jpg

hakan439

May 31, 2013
Visit site
My L920 keep freezing on start screen. I had to do a soft reset everytime. Also when I restart the phone startscreen takes too much time to load.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
My L920 keep freezing on start screen. I had to do a soft reset everytime. Also when I restart the phone startscreen takes too much time to load.
It is well known issue and there is no need to soft reset it each time, there are some workarounds, just make a search, it is discussed numerous times already and there is no need to repeat everything once again...

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I'd say yes I use it on my one and only WP an old Lumia 920 (don't have the need for anything better yet, hell of a phone) and it's been working great.

If you don't mind some minor hiccups like apps crashing sometimes and store not downloading some apps then do it, I would just advice that after you upgrade do a Hard Reset that seems to make it work better, just be sure to have a backup of your stuff.

Ton Kroon

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Initially I was very happy with this build on my L920 (After hard reset!) . No I am more or less stuck (even after soft reset) at a 'loading' start screen. Without it all is useless, but not willing yet do do another roll back to 8.1. Anybody having same issue (and having a solution) or should I just wait and see what happens (if so, how long)?

Waited for half an hour: problem solved! (?)

Last edited:

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm using it on my 735 and it is decent but will not be installing it on my 930, for now anyway. Would just be happy with update 2. Don't see the issue of them allowing those who want to get the update 2.

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Install 10166 on my 520, works good (3 days). Not seeing start screen problem. Did have problem removing and adding tiles. After removing the tile came back.
Calling, texting, calendar, email, camera and battery life all work fine for me. Music player is working now, but took a long time to read from the SD card.
I got an update of the Store App the other night. Seems to work better.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Install 10166 on my 520, works good (3 days). Not seeing start screen problem. Did have problem removing and adding tiles. After removing the tile came back.
Calling, texting, calendar, email, camera and battery life all work fine for me. Music player is working now, but took a long time to read from the SD card.
I got an update of the Store App the other night. Seems to work better.

Did you hard reset at all?

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I installed it on my 720 and so far its good. There are a few hiccups here and there which is expected from a preview build but overall the performance is quite good n so can be installed on ur daily driver:)

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes, installed from 8.1, hard reset and I did not restore from backup.
I've been using Here Drive+ and it works. It my daily driver.
What I don't use skype or cortana or xbox.

Do you think that a hard reset is necessary at all??

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Do you think that a hard reset is necessary at all??

I had build 149 on my 520 and it was horrible even after a hard reset, so I had read that others said to hard reset and do not restore from backup. I went that route when I installed 166 because I wanted a stable phone. You can try it without a had reset, see if its stable.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa