Save me from going iPhone? Future of Windows phone, etc.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
There's lag on Android depending on the phone brand. The heavier the Android skin, the higher the chances of lag. On Android 5.0.2 Vista (aka Lollipop) it's particularly bad because Google messed up the RAM management.
I refused the Lollipop update on my Z3C (and will likely refuse future ones until that bloody Material Design gets a Dark Theme) and the only time I had lag was after I spent an afternoon messing around with things.

But on the likes of Samsung (specially on Samsung) the lag shows up after a while much thanks to the overload of the skin. But the "Android lags" is as much true as Windows Phone lags. And God knows my 930 resumes a lot...

(Also..."sent from my iPhone" Micah? But...your precious Lumias...;P)

The fact that I have to be careful which brand i choose for android is why it is a no go for me. I rarely got lag on my 1520. I do sometimes in the 640 xl but that's to me is okay. Lag however when doing simple tasks is not good for me. And I got that a lot using his android

And yeah I am in iPhone territory now and desperately wanting back in windows phone land. I'm doing a write up for phone wars shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
In comparison to the other two platforms, these figures are irrelevant.
In EU, WP is 9%, iOS is 18%. That's not bad result if you ask me.
Yes, I agree shares in some other countries are pretty low. I won't pretend it's not true.

Developers and the public don't care AT ALL about this platform. You don't feel the lack of apps because you've probably never been part of an ecosystem where so many services are available to you to choose from. You've climatised to the extremely limited selection you have available to you. I used to do the same.
You are making bigger drama than it actually is. There are apps, there are developers delivering to the platform, Microsoft doesn't ditch the platform and will continue on it as one of the standpoint of ecosystem.
Personally, I don't care if there is 5 or 10 milion apps in store as far as I am covered for all my needs, which at this moment is true. I don't feel any dramatical lack of apps. If I don't need a service why should I need an app for that service? I dont care if some Australian private bus company has iPhone app. It's not a criteria for me to choose the mobile platform I will use on daily basis.

Yes, I'm frustrated. I'm angry that MS stuffed this up. I wanted to believe in them, I hung on for a long time. For gods sake even Paul Thurrott has distanced himself from WP (but is yet to abandon it), don't you think THAT is saying something? He's been the most patriotic and vocal person in the whole community!
Main criteria for judging something is mainly my own opinion and experience, even if last so called patriotic community person will quit the platform, I don't care as far as I am happy with it.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Used an htc one m9 recently. Nice hardware. Immediately noticed lag in transitions. Even android enthusiasts will report and acknowledge that lag can be and is present from time To time and it is also largely dependent on what android you buy and the overall UI.

Let me get some things straight here. First, I am not talking about the lag that exists due to either underpowered hardware or a bloated UI/skin. That one is obvious, not specific to Android but inherent to all computer systems back from when computers were first invented (good luck running Windows 95 on an 80386/33 with 4MB of RAM that was running Windows 3.11 like a champ!), and will show on Windows 10 on low-spec'd devices such as the 520 or 635 as well. However, this lag does not show up automatically and magically after a couple of months usage without any sort of user interaction, instead it exists from day one and may get either better or worse with subsequent OS updates. What I was referring to is the urban myth that a lag, inherent to all Android devices, somehow magically appears out of nowhere after a couple of weeks or months of usage. I may have had to elaborate further on my initial post about this, and I hope it's more clear now. Second, I'm as far from an Android ****** as physically, mentally, and practically can be. Trust me on this one, my first smartphone was an HTC Hero with Android 2.1 and I've tried several flavors of Android (Vanilla, Samsung, HTC, Sony) in the past years, switching back and forth between the iPhone and an Android smartphone (lucky for me it's part of my job to evaluate mobile devices for our company so I didn't have to pay for them), and just like you've said my biggest gripe is that user experience depends so much on what manufacturer you chose (followed closely by the fact that OS updates are a nightmare to begin with) that I've abandoned the platform for good after a while. I'm just sick of reading fanboyish claims about an alleged lag that appears out of nowhere, that's all I'm saying.

That said: yes, under certain circumstances Android tends to lag. These are underpowered devices and a bloated UI/skin installed by the OEM. Which is why I've been saying for years now that if you want to go Android go Nexus or Motorola. The lag that comes with OS updates is not specific to Android but also rears its ugly and distorted head on any operating system, be that iOS (think iOS 7 on iPhone 4 or iOS 8 on iPhone 4S), Windows Phone (think Windows 10 Mobile on Lumia 520/630), Windows x86/x64, Linux, Solaris, etc.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Let me get some things straight here. First, I am not talking about the lag that exists due to either underpowered hardware or a bloated UI/skin. That one is obvious, not specific to Android but inherent to all computer systems back from when computers were first invented (good luck running Windows 95 on an 80386/33 with 4MB of RAM that was running Windows 3.11 like a champ!), and will show on Windows 10 on low-spec'd devices such as the 520 or 635 as well. However, this lag does not show up automatically and magically after a couple of months usage without any sort of user interaction, instead it exists from day one and may get either better or worse with subsequent OS updates. What I was referring to is the urban myth that a lag, inherent to all Android devices, somehow magically appears out of nowhere after a couple of weeks or months of usage. I may have had to elaborate further on my initial post about this, and I hope it's more clear now. Second, I'm as far from an Android ****** as physically, mentally, and practically can be. Trust me on this one, my first smartphone was an HTC Hero with Android 2.1 and I've tried several flavors of Android (Vanilla, Samsung, HTC, Sony) in the past years, switching back and forth between the iPhone and an Android smartphone (lucky for me it's part of my job to evaluate mobile devices for our company so I didn't have to pay for them), and just like you've said my biggest gripe is that user experience depends so much on what manufacturer you chose (followed closely by the fact that OS updates are a nightmare to begin with) that I've abandoned the platform for good after a while. I'm just sick of reading fanboyish claims about an alleged lag that appears out of nowhere, that's all I'm saying.

That said: yes, under certain circumstances Android tends to lag. These are underpowered devices and a bloated UI/skin installed by the OEM. Which is why I've been saying for years now that if you want to go Android go Nexus or Motorola. The lag that comes with OS updates is not specific to Android but also rears its ugly and distorted head on any operating system, be that iOS (think iOS 7 on iPhone 4 or iOS 8 on iPhone 4S), Windows Phone (think Windows 10 Mobile on Lumia 520/630), Windows x86/x64, Linux, Solaris, etc.

Guess your experience differs from mine. I have a consistently poor experience with all things android. Lag is possible on any OS this is true but it is quite a bit more prevalent in android than it is on windows phone and now that I am using iOS, I can say the same there.

I had the choice to get a free iPhone or a free galaxy note 4, s6 or s6 edge or lg4 ....even free I refuse to utilize an Android device considering out the box the best Android devices already feel Laggy.

Just because someone has a different experience than you doesn't make them a ****** either

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Guess your experience differs from mine. I have a consistently poor experience with all things android. Lag is possible on any OS this is true but it is quite a bit more prevalent in android than it is on windows phone and now that I am using iOS, I can say the same there.

I had the choice to get a free iPhone or a free galaxy note 4, s6 or s6 edge or lg4 ....even free I refuse to utilize an Android device considering out the box the best Android devices already feel Laggy.

Just because someone has a different experience than you doesn't make them a ****** either

I wouldn't want a Samsung Android device either, due to TouchWiz and the Samsung bloatware.

I haven't had issues with lag on my Moto X or Nexus 7 tablet, but those run stock Android, without any OEM skins/launchers.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't want a Samsung Android device either, due to TouchWiz and the Samsung bloatware.

I haven't had issues with lag on my Moto X or Nexus 7 tablet, but those run stock Android, without any OEM skins/launchers.

I am not a fan of stock android. I will give the oems credit. As crappy as their UI can be, they make the OS far more visually appealing

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Still not a myth..

Ever thought that those "fanboys" we're once Android users who switched to either iOS or WP and notices the diffrence.

If you knew me I don't just defend Android, but actually encourage users to switch to Android (those asking where to go after WP) a lot on Windows Central because it's clearly not Lagdroid, crapdroid, nor Scrooglodroid, etc.., anymore or ever was and I really Like Lolipop.

The thing is, I experienced that "myth" with my devices to the point where I was pissed off asking why the heck is it lagging for no damn reason willing to smash my device (not really).

Had to factory reset and install only the most important apps just to enjoy a day of lag free experience. While the time I first got it I could enjoy hundred of apps, widgets and launchers with no problems.

It's not the point in the reason why this happens, but in the fact that it happens.

And it's not just me, but every person I talk to about phones and why they switched. That explains why people over the internet are reporting the same issues.

And then I'm laughing on WP with ~150 apps installed with almost non existent difference. I say good job.

And to be honest yes I can also notice random lag/stutter on WP in some transitions and resuming is freaking frustrating sometimes. However latest W10 build is going well so far.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am not a fan of stock android. I will give the oems credit. As crappy as their UI can be, they make the OS far more visually appealing

That's understandable. :smile:

I use Nova Launcher Prime to customize my stock Android experience.

I'm still waiting for Xposed to get out of alpha for Lollipop. Then that's the ROM I'll flash.

Conrado Paganotti

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
That you are wrong. For myself, I will move fully to Android if Windows 10 does not work out well. iPhone will be the last option ONLY if Android fails as well. Why? I really really cannot stand the rigidness of rows of icons after icons on the home screen of iOS. The OS is so stubborn that one cannot even move icons freely between home screens! This is also why I REALLY HATE the MIUI as well for Xiaomi phones.

Another thing I cannot stand about iOS: is so freaking hard to even watch different formats of videos on the iPhone! With my Note 4, I can simply drag and drop onto the phone, fire up MX Player, and voila! I can start enjoying different videos - MKV, RMVB, AVI, DivX, etc etc.... Cannot play an audio codec? No problem! Just get the codec from the XDA forum and things just work! On iPhone? Sorry... Cannot mean cannot.... Too bad you are using the "revolutionary" phones and OS.

That being said, I'm looking at Microsoft as well..... Stop being such a cry baby and limit the OS capabilities. Throw in more video & sound codecs. Improve the damn Music player - I cannot even play mp3 by folders?! Make share contracts to be available for all installed apps, without the intervention of the developers - I cannot even share youtube links to Facebook Messenger without the need to copy the URL links! Transform Windows Phone to be as versatile as Android and you may have the chance to be 2nd in place in the mobile phone market! And please, make sure no more Resuming and Reloading craps....

*End of Rant*

Completely agree. I have a Lumia 920. But, I gave up for now to come back to Android. Now I have a Moto Maxx (Droid Turbo in US) and my Lumia has W10 preview on it. I do not understand as well why most of people giving up WP wants to go to iOS. Android is the system which has more similarities and "freedom" with WP. In Android you can handles file in folders if you want, you can use the email app of your choice (if you want to use Gmail app, or Outlook app, ...). As you said, you can handle all videos types.

And also, you can customize your home screen as you want. And if you don't want, no problem, you can have just the app drawer.

And if someone is worried about camera, the new Samsung Galaxy S6, Note, and LG (and even Sony) have very good cameras, betters than iPhone. And more important, all of them is cheaper than iPhone.

For all that I say, if you want to give up on WP, go to Android, not to iOS.

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
What highlights just how far behind the IPhone WP is now is the media frenzy in the UK with the launch of Apple Pay, in a news paper today were 3 large adverts from banks and a building society promoting Apple Pay complete with huge pictures of iPhones.

This is massive mainstream interest in an apple product and service, that even google/android with its huge market share couldn't begin to match coverage and interest like that from non techie media.
Sadly the excellent WP platform seems years behind Apple and Android in being able to lead the market in inovative and exciting ways, I can't imagine ever being able to tap and pay natively with my WP on a card reader or at an oyster reader despite the NFC hardware built in.
I dont believe WM10 can begin to recapture the lost market share but it will help to keep windows mobile alive until the next big shake up such as the decline of Nokia and blackberry from their dominant positions.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I am so far loving Windows 10 preview on my Lumia 1520.

Honestly the only gripe I have right now is the Music player. Groove is still a mess. As a music lover this is a big let down for me. But 10 works flawlessly right now and it's just amazing how complimented my phone is whenever they see the start screen but it really is gorgeous.

Switching apps have never been smoother and the animations just pops out really nicely.

If Microsoft gets the Music player right I'm on board. Definitely on board. 10 is leaps and bounds much better than 8.1 and it's just a preview. Of course this is MY OPINION so take this one lightly. But if Microsoft doesn't play its cards right when it comes to music experience I might go back to IOS. But overall fantastic experience so far. I didn't expect this it is really really good.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

JoeyIsACoolKid

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm personally waiting for Verizon to launch a flagship Lumia phone. It's the network my family's stuck on, and I still enjoy Windows Phone. My dad recently converted from Windows Phone to Android, but I'm still on the Windows Phone game. I've learned to live without the other apps. I'm loving the Windows 10 Preview right now, but I just want Verizon to launch a flagship Windows Phone, or something in the 6 inch screen size range.

downup

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
You will regret that you ever bought a iPhone, it's e extremely boring phone. You will hate that you just got one physical button. I will get the Lumia 940xl that is a rumor right now, but it sounds possible.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't see how this recent "fear" on WP future is justified anymore than it was 6 months ago. All these knee jerk reactions to recent MS news seems painfully shortsighted. Especially after they've came out and reaffirmed the platform is NOT going anywhere. MS wants OEM's to get onto the platform again. If 90% of all WP are Lumia's, why would any OEM want to even attempt to enter the game. Microsoft announcing they want to slowly back out of hardware is simply telling OEM they want them to carry the platform. If people actually read what they say, its all there. You just have to read it...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

invictax

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I was waiting for the Windows flagship but my Lumia 920 died about a month ago. I bought an iPhone 6 and am not looking back. I am going to give this one to my wife in a few months (she has the Lumia 635) when the 6s comes out. It is so nice to have all the apps and everything just works. I preferred the Windows Phone OS but I am used to iOS now and am missing absolutely nothing.

This is the only Apple product I own (and my first) and I am about to build a new Windows 10 PC and have Android tables. You won't regret having an iPhone. You can always switch back in a few years if MS actually gets some market share with their universal apps. I really hope they do. Right now they just aren't there. :straight:

ivanflo

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
With all the news this week, I'm beginning to have less faith in MSFT and its willingness to support Windows 10 Mobile in the long run. Right now, I'm totally embedded in the Windows ecosystem - Surface RT, laptop, and Windows phone, but now that I have my doubts, I'm wondering if my loyalty will waver. What do you think the 5 year future for Windows 10 Mobile and Windows phone is? What can make me regret a move to iOS?

I would pick OSX over Windows every time. I have been issued an iPad for work and their continuity features are really attractive. My phone has been a WP since 7, and I like you am starting to loose hope, they watered down zune when it became Xbox music, they outright got rid of the hubs on the way to 8.1, they stripped out most of metro on the way to WP 10, so wtf are left with?

I got a 920 as soon as I could, come time to upgrade ere was nothing for me, I'm going to say I was forced to get a 820 out of desperation. Despite how much I do not like where the OS is going, I will wait to see the next 'flagship', if it is not a surface pro 3 style device in terms of design, if it can't go toe to toe with the iPhone, I'm jumping ship. Just give me a flagship that is a real flagship, they have had a couple years to figure it out ( I don't count the 930 as a flagship).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ivanfoster.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte