Anyone pin people to start?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My #1 favorite feature in WP 8/8.1 was the ability to pin a contact from the people hub as a live tile. The phone feels dead without it. From there all notifications (calls, texts, emails, skype, etc.) would show on the person's live tile. If the person last messaged you clicking on the tile takes you direct to the message.

Also, all call, text and email history is there. It's a nice way to see email filtered to just the person. As far as my gmail was concerned I never went there as the only messages I cared about could be gotten from the person's tile.

So far pinning a person offers zero functionality in Windows 10 other than getting to see the photo as square instead of a circle. With my luck all they'll do in a future update is make that a circle too, lol.

The tread about feature locked has me worried this is a permanent feature removal.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree, hope it comes back. In other news, my people tile suddenly started showing the funky new animation today though, and I actually like it very much, unlike some.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I sure hope so. I haven't seen as much insider's feedback submitted as I would like on these missing features. It's there but they sometimes don't seem to take action untill there are thousands of upvotes, like we saw on the micro battery icon.

As far as the email goes I'm not sure if the new outlook would integrate as well as the old mail app did to the people hub. It's kind of disjointed from the rest of the OS.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
A little off topic but every build I've found the pinned contacts to stop functioning after each upgrade. So make sure to unpin/re-pin if they act up.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The tread about feature locked has me worried this is a permanent feature removal.

The "feature lock" is because we are so close to the release that it is too late to continue to add features and get all the bugs worked out. It's time to get the bugs out so it can be released, and new features will be added over time.

Once Windows 10 is out on a phone, it will start getting updates directly from Microsoft instead of the carrier, which means carriers will no longer be able to prevent the phone from being updated the way they do now.

That means if the feature isn't there now, don't worry about the carrier not allowing you to have it in 6 months.

Yeah, the tile is a feature I absolutely love. I hate to hear it doesn't work in 10. Hopefully that will be added, but only if enough users will get on uservoice and make it known.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The "feature lock" is because we are so close to the release that it is too late to continue to add features and get all the bugs worked out. It's time to get the bugs out so it can be released, and new features will be added over time.

Once Windows 10 is out on a phone, it will start getting updates directly from Microsoft instead of the carrier, which means carriers will no longer be able to prevent the phone from being updated the way they do now.

That means if the feature isn't there now, don't worry about the carrier not allowing you to have it in 6 months.

Yeah, the tile is a feature I absolutely love. I hate to hear it doesn't work in 10. Hopefully that will be added, but only if enough users will get on uservoice and make it known.

It would be a serious mistake to leave out core features on a new release. I architect some complex software for a multi billion dollar company and my #1 rule when releasing a new version is to make sure existing functionality still works or has it's equivalent and easily discoverable replacement. As it stands now Windows 10 on the phone lacks too much existing functionality to be released as such.

The people app is nothing but a cruder stripped down version of the old with round photos that roll around. As an unsuspecting end user I'd be rather ticked off if this was the upgrade. :( It's not even a step forward. All steps back.

I've got to believe they'll still add notifications and history. We treat missing features as bugs in our product upgrades where I work.

Cage Ata

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I can't imagine microsoft removing a lot of 8.1 features without them returning. It's almost as if they started from the ground up, hence this is in alpha stage. I'm sure it will return :)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
But that's all you can do is pin it. It lacks all the functionality existing in the wp 8.1 version.

This is one of many reasons.....I mean I like Win10 mobile new look and MS Edge, etc., but I love Win8.1 for phone. Win8.1 for phones is unique, however Win10 mobile is looking more and more like iOS and business like look. I am hoping I will be able to flash back from Win10 to 8.1 on the upcoming flagship phones. Or, if MS would be kind enough to let us dual boot these two on the upcoming flagships.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hope so, I like to be optimistic. :)

I do the insider's feedback and posts here in constructive hopes someone may hear. I was getting concerned when I didn't see much mention of this lacking functionality in the builds.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
But that's all you can do is pin it. It lacks all the functionality existing in the wp 8.1 version.

I was just checking, since I had recently upgraded to 8.1 Update 2. It seems all you get with Update 2 is the pinning to the start, which is a shortcut to the listing in the people app.

You can still go into "history" from there (in Update 2, not 10), and get a filtered list of emails, calls, texts, etc. This can also be done from the people app by selecting any contact as well.

Are you saying this history is not in Windows 10 people app?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
No, only thing it has is the contact card.

Okay, so no Connect, What's New, or History. Yeah, those are all glaring omissions. Needs fixing/adding pretty badly. That What's New is pretty handy for me, when I just want to see a single person's feed.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I pin people to the start too, very useful feature.
Slight frustration that I can't assign tones to specific contacts, just sends me to look for app!

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
My #1 favorite feature in WP 8/8.1 was the ability to pin a contact from the people hub as a live tile. The phone feels dead without it. From there all notifications (calls, texts, emails, skype, etc.) would show on the person's live tile. If the person last messaged you clicking on the tile takes you direct to the message.

Also, all call, text and email history is there. It's a nice way to see email filtered to just the person. As far as my gmail was concerned I never went there as the only messages I cared about could be gotten from the person's tile.

So far pinning a person offers zero functionality in Windows 10 other than getting to see the photo as square instead of a circle. With my luck all they'll do in a future update is make that a circle too, lol.

Make sure you give feedback on the feedback app. I put a request for these a while back, needs many voices so they know folks are using it.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've probably upvoted your feedback already, lol. I didn't see too much feedback on these concerns. I think everyone is getting so upset by the round profiles they haven't noticed the other stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos