Anyone else not hearing notification sounds?

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

After going through the net trying to find a way to get my SMS/Messaging notification to work and not finding any workable solution, I've decided to go through my all of windows 10 mobile setting once again to see whether there is a way to solve this issue. And yes problem solved (for me anyway). No factory reset and no installing additional app

I've detailed out all the action i've taken for your reference. This is not a sure fire way to solve the problem and its only work for me and my phone on the 17/1/2016 GMT+8.

My phone spec was:
Phone : Nokia Lumia 1020 (Lumia Cyan)
Os build: 10.0.10586.63

So here is the detail steps i've taken chronologically in solving my SMS/Messaging notification issue

Previous Settings related to the issue of "Messaging"

1. "Notification and actions" under "System"
I'm guessing my case is similar to everyone, the "Messaging" option is not to be found in the "Show notifications from these apps"

2. "Lock screen" under "Personalization"
2.1 My "Choose app to show detailed status" was set to "Whatsapp"
2.2 As always I've also chosen "Messaging" in the "Choose apps to show quick status"

3. "Messaging" under "Privacy"
Chosen option ON for "Let apps read or send messages (text or MMS)".

4. "Background apps" under "Privacy"
4.1 "Messaging + Skype" was disabled

Solving the issue
1. "Background apps" under "Privacy"
Turn ON the option

2. "Lock screen" under "Personalization"
Change "Choose app to show detailed status" from "Whatsapp" to "Messaging"

3. "Messaging" under "System"
Turn ON all option (Yes, I really meant ALL OPTION)

Then I've restart my phone and asked my wife to send me one short message through the SMS/Messaging app and I've heard the sweet sound of SMS/Messaging and what a beautiful site seeing the message on my phone lock screen. And finally the "Messaging" is shown in the "Notification and actions" (after restarting).

Then I reverting back a few setting after solving the issue and the SMS/Messaging notification still works

1. "Lock screen" under "Personalization"
I've changed it back to "Whatsapp"

2. "Messaging" under "System"
Disable all the options under the "SMS/MMS"

Hope this solution will work for you phone as well.

Thank you.

Didier3001

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
For me what did fixed the issue was to change one simple settings back to default:
Under System, go to Notification & Actions then enable "Show notifications on the lock screen"

RobC_UK

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Just stumbled across this post while searching for a solution, unfortunately none of these tips worked for me but I have sussed it so thought I'd update the thread so anyone else that comes across this in the future has a fighting chance of getting it working.

There appears to be a bug in the banner notifications on the lock screen. To get the sounds for email working try the following.

In Outlook -> Settings -> Notifications and make sure the following options are ON.

• "Show notifications in the action centre"
  • "Show a notification banner"
  • "Play a sound"

Now go to "All settings" -> System -> Notifications and actions. Locate the email application (there will be one for each email account you have setup on the phone) and switch off the "Show notification banners"

Now the phone will make a sound when you receive an email.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

wvigotty

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, RobC_UK. Your fix worked for me on my new Lumia 950 single SIM unlocked phone. The other fixes posted here didn't work.

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Sadly your solution did not work in my case. Lumia 640 10.0.14393.189. Have now tried just about every combination of settings in all the many, far far too many, settings places on this OS to no avail - just cannot get notification sounds for emails to work. About the only sounds that do work are the incoming calls ringtone - hoorah at least MSFT managed to make a phone that rings! So loads of 'custom' settings for app sounds, lock screen, private and so on but sadly none of them really work. Do hope MSFT take note and fix this soon as can't revert back to my old Nokia Lumia 620, WP8.1.1U2 as it is now dead but when it was alive at least it played sounds properly.

RobC_UK

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Just a follow up on this, the issue is now fixed in the anniversary update (10.0.14393.189).

To get the pesky things working again do the following:

- Open*Outlook client on the phone
- Open ?Settings?
- Select ?Notifications? and check the following are set to ON
- Select "Show notifications in the action centre
- Tick "Show notification banner"
- Tick "Play a sound"
- Exit Outlook

- Go to ?All Settings? on the phone
- Select ?System?
- Select ?Notifications and actions?
- Locate the email application (there will be one for each email account you have setup on the phone)
- Switch ON "Notifications"
- Switch ON ?Show notification banners?
- Switch ON "Show notifications in Action Centre"

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Followed those settings exactly and it still did not work. Gave up and went to bed. Next morning, miracles, email sound notifications working again!. No idea why this took so long to 'engage' but just glad it is working properly now on my Lumia 640 LTE. Sadly my partner's L640 LTE still only manages to play a new email sound for one of her linked email accounts at the moment. Been through all the settings again, made sure the 'apply to all' setting is checked but no joy so far. Did notice that until both her linked accounts had received an email the 'Linked Email' application did not show up in settings, after receiving mail it did show up. Will check again in a day or two when maybe the fairies will have magically fixed the issue.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Followed those settings exactly and it still did not work. Gave up and went to bed. Next morning, miracles, email sound notifications working again!. No idea why this took so long to 'engage' but just glad it is working properly now on my Lumia 640 LTE. Sadly my partner's L640 LTE still only manages to play a new email sound for one of her linked email accounts at the moment. Been through all the settings again, made sure the 'apply to all' setting is checked but no joy so far. Did notice that until both her linked accounts had received an email the 'Linked Email' application did not show up in settings, after receiving mail it did show up. Will check again in a day or two when maybe the fairies will have magically fixed the issue.

I often have to reboot my phone as notifications, WhatsApp often enough, stop working randomly. So I feel your pain on that one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb