Why still ARM based W10 high end phones?

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
We all know MS is looking for integration and One platform, store, etc. Recent rumors tell that next year an intel flagship could be released. Also, we know that there aren't too much Universal Apps and there weren't too much in WP8.1 store.
Furthermore, we know that WinRT Surface failed and now all are Intel based.
So, why still release an ARM based flagship and go against a deeper unification? Low cost ARM based are more comprehensible due to costs and less complexity/uses. But given the actual WP weak position, the problem of few apps and that an Intel based devices give more oiptions to run apps. Add that this one is one of the last opporunities for Mobile. Why still launch an ARM based flagship?
Also, would peple buy this ARM flagship (name it lumia 940/940XL or whatever) knowing that waiting a few months they can get an Intel based one?
Also, it would contribute with Phones differentiation.

sam17ub

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
That's because there are ZERO touch friendly mobile apps for x86, and nobody will ever develop them. WinRT/Metro is the future and only way forward. There is ZERO reason for anyone to ever buy an Intel based smartphone because there are zero mobile apps.

sam17ub

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Those Intel based phone thing is still very much a rumor isn't it? Personally I can't see how switching to Intel will help Windows Phone in any way.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can think of is Continuum. If the goal is to have a mobile "PC" in your pocket - then it would run WinRT apps while in Phone mode, but run WinRT + Desktop in Continuum mode. So I dock my phone at the office and can run full Win32 software (perhaps some legacy software my company requires), as well as the WinRT apps I've installed - all from my phone.

However, if desktop Win32 software is never intended to run through Continuum, then I agree, ARM based phones are fine.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720