Roll back from windows 10 technical preview to wp8.1 on lumia 520.

anon(8997573)

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I installed the windows 10 technical preview build 10149 on my lumia 520 yesterday. Although it is going good, but i am unable to get any further updates (i.e., the next builds). My phone says it is up to date. Now i want to roll back to wp8.1. How can i do that ? Has anyone of you done it?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you gone into the Windows Insider app and swapped to the Fast Ring?

Have you also read the information on the Windows Insider website? This contains information about how to revert back to Windows Phone 8.1.

anon(8997573)

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
i was on the slow ring earlier. now i swapped to fast ring and found a new update (build 10166). can you tell me how does build 10166 perform on the lumia 520 ??

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As a Windows Insider, this is what you're invited to do. Download the builds, experiment with them and then use the feedback app to tell Microsoft what you think - what you like, what you don't like, what isn't working for you.

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
i was on the slow ring earlier. now i swapped to fast ring and found a new update (build 10166). can you tell me how does build 10166 perform on the lumia 520 ??
Yes, it's running ok on my 520. I updated from 8.1 to 10166, did a hard reset and did not restore from backup. Calls, texting, calendar, email, Here Drive+ and camera all work, I have not tested nor do I use everything. It's my daily driver now.
Some people have had success not doing a hard reset, up to you.

anon(8997573)

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
that's correct, but i want to be at least a little sure that my phone won't get damaged to an extent that it cannot be rolled back. can you give me an idea of how this build works on 520 ?

Nam Long

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't know that extent either but WPRT always works for me . ( lumia 520 )
About Build 10166 performance on 520 , it is really great ( smooth and stable ) . But some issues i found is that some apps may appear unavailable in the Store ( Lumia collection , Touch settings , ... ) , Photos app still laggy , no notifications from Store when it updating apps , Battery is better but not as good as W8.1 .
Other than that everything works perfectly ( if it doesn't then reinstalling should help )

anon(8997573)

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
thanks! that's a bit assuring. Can you also tell me what's the amount of data required to roll back to wp8.1 ? I read somewhere that it is a 1.5gb file that i'll have to download.. is it so?

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
that's correct, but i want to be at least a little sure that my phone won't get damaged to an extent that it cannot be rolled back. can you give me an idea of how this build works on 520 ?
I works good. I don't use xbox or cortana or skype. I don't use a lot of apps. Some people were having problems with home screen updating, but mine works. I had a problem removing a tile and adding a tile. Then it started working. If you do the install, the phone will seem slow for awhile. While you are connected to wifi, the phone will try to do a bunch a updates in the background, just give it time to install everything. Then do a couple of soft resets and it will settle down and be more stable. That's my experience anyway. As for impresses of the OS, I don't like outlook calendar and I had to do a lot of screen picks to change the ringtone and custom ringtone is not working. Someone had problems putting photos on OneDrive, but I don't use that. As for build 10149 was unstable on my 520 and I used the WRT to go back to 8.1. It was easy and did not take to long.

anon(8997573)

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
how much data did it take to go back to 8.1 ? and how did you do a soft reset ? i tried pressing the lock button and volume-decrease button together but it opened the windows feedback app!!

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
how much data did it take to go back to 8.1 ? and how did you do a soft reset ? i tried pressing the lock button and volume-decrease button together but it opened the windows feedback app!!
Sorry I don't know how much data it takes to go back to 8.1, but it works. Yes you can hold the buttons to do a soft reset, but pulling the battery for 5 seconds is the easiest. One time when I held the buttons I got the lightning bolt and gear image, I read somewhere that that is not good. Pulling the battery is easy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077