Why is my Outlook Mail account giving me the error - 0x801901f4?

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Outlook Mail accounts - 0x801901f4

I found THE solution!!! No resetting or messing around required.

Open outlook settings on phone (the little gear symbol bottom left)
click Accounts
click Add Advanced set-up
click Exchange ActiveSync

follow this:
Server address: s.outlook.com
Domain: <leave empty>
Username: Your email address
Password: Your password
TLS/SSL encryption required: Yes

You secondary outlook account will now sync and your contacts and emails will appear! This is basically the same as the automatic setup you have been trying, but there is a bug with it! Don't forget to Thank me for it :)

Well adding a live.com email the way it looks like you should didn't work, but adding it as an exchange/O365 accout worked for me! Thanks!!

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

When I opened the app, I was prompted to sign in. I can't speak for why you're not getting that sign-in.
When you installed Win10M did you hard reset? If so, did you sign in with your main Microsoft account? Or did you roll the dice and just move forward with the in place upgrade from WP8.1 without a hard reset?

theshivanator

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

When you installed Win10M did you hard reset? If so, did you sign in with your main Microsoft account? Or did you roll the dice and just move forward with the in place upgrade from WP8.1 without a hard reset?

I tried an in-place upgrade, but it basically broke everything but calling. No texting, no internet, so I hard reset. Signed in with my main account once I reset. Should also mention, I started on 10149, and came up to 10166 a few days ago.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

That may be a differentiating factor! I upgraded to 10166 from WP8.1 - I wonder if others who've reported the Windows Feedback "fix" followed a similar upgrade path as yourself?

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

That may be a differentiating factor! I upgraded to 10166 from WP8.1 - I wonder if others who've reported the Windows Feedback "fix" followed a similar upgrade path as yourself?

I did 8.1 to 10166 and it worked for me.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

I did 8.1 to 10166 and it worked for me.
Did you perform a hard reset after the upgrade? Did the app open and give you a button to "sign in" or something? I found that the app just opened and did nothing to fix the bug for me. That's why I am digging in with you folks to see if there's some reason that it works for some, but not all, phones.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Did you perform a hard reset after the upgrade? Did the app open and give you a button to "sign in" or something? I found that the app just opened and did nothing to fix the bug for me. That's why I am digging in with you folks to see if there's some reason that it works for some, but not all, phones.

No

theshivanator

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

Not after updating to 10166. I just opened the app and was greeted with a sign-in prompt.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Well.. I won't pretend to know what happened.. I took my 920 out to demo Win10M for some colleagues of mine. I went to show the 0x801901f4 to one of them and, instead, I was able to add my second (of 3) Microsoft Accounts to the phone. Maybe something on the backend got fixed? Good news, regardless.

theLonelyGuy

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I just hard reset my 920, got the 0x801901f4 error in Outlook Mail again. Opened the Windows Feedback app, closed it, went back to try to add an account in Outlook Mail and... No change/improvement.

Login to your primary account from PC, goto "Account Settings-->Security & Privacy-->More Security Settings--> Enable Two Step Verification".

After enabling two step verification, now you can login via Mail app from phone. It worked for me.. :)

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Login to your primary account from PC, goto "Account Settings-->Security & Privacy-->More Security Settings--> Enable Two Step Verification".

After enabling two step verification, now you can login via Mail app from phone. It worked for me.. :)
That's actually what I have set on 2 of my 3 Microsoft accounts. The main phone account and the secondary one that I'd been having issues with adding. It's a great feature to have enabled. :)

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Side story: I thought about what happened when things seemed to "magically start working" for me. I clicked on the People tile and caused it to start working. Once that happened, I was able to add an account. So I'll need to experiment some more to see if that's really the "fix" for me or if MS resolved a backend issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb