Look at this>10166 video of pocketnow (update: finally removed)

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Take a look at this crap! 10166 video of pocketnow

What's funny is that he was comparing windows phone 7.5 animations with windows 10 animations.

And Unlike good reviewers, he was extremely subjective

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
re: Look at this>10166 video of pocketnow (update: finally removed)

The problem is that the blogger is reviewing an alpha-grade preview as if it were finished software. That is completely pointless. It's like reviewing a car that only made its way three fourths along the assembly line.

What the blogger should be reviewing is not where W10M stands right now (what does or doesn't work), but where it seems to be headed in terms of concepts, design, style, usability, goals, etc. (yes, that's more work and requires technical expertise and imagination to fill in the missing parts).

There is actually plenty to criticize without resorting to: "hey, no steering wheel", when the build just hasn't yet gone through that part of the assembly process.

Haha, true.

They still have a post up that is similar:

Is Windows 10 Mobile starting to shape up yet? | Pocketnow

I'd say the blogger is right about most everything...

Not sure about that as I haven't seen the video... doesn't look like it's cached either. {Any one manage to grab it before it was pulled down?}

Unless your talking about the linked article?

If, so the author is right on the money in in my opinion (check out his windows phone 7 reviews, which are almost spot on too), the only thing or things rather is keeping me optimistic is the functionality we may get with WP 10. I say "may" as things can change last minute.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

The (verb for what you do to your finger with a needle)s must have had pellets of air freshener in their pants in order to have removed the video. I wonder what?

LOL Jazmac your description are PG rated for this forum. just visualizing the needle and finger scenario every time I think of certain characters in this world

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

So what's the problem again? Windows 10 Mobile is mostly an incomplete trainwreck at this point (compared to 8.1) so it's not surprising how critical the video is. As for those screaming it's a video reviewing a preview build. Well duh. It's feedback. Save the hissy fits and troll pointing.

It's also refreshing to hear someone call out MS on their asinine UI decisions and poorly thought out new design language. Much better than the "get used to it" garbage that comes from some people. As if no one should complain when their favorite OS turns into a joke.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So what's the problem again?
...snipped...
As for those screaming it's a video reviewing a preview build. Well duh. It's feedback. Save the hissy fits and troll pointing.

I'm with you for the most part, but not on this. It may be feedback, but it's completely irrelevant feedback, as it serves neither MS nor WP users, nor anyone else (unless you see value in misleading people).

There is literally no valuable/useful information in what amounts to a rant over the fact that alpha software has bugs and isn't perfect. Duh! That's why it's yet months from release! In that sense this really is nothing but a hack job.

This could have been a chance to legitimately critique UI design choices, as it is now slowly becoming apparent what the end result will be like, but with such potentially legitimate criticisms buried under a mountain of irrelevant ranting they've made it impossible to take any of it seriously.

Those of us who dislike the direction the UI has taken, would be much better served with a contribution that separates the ranting over temporarily non-functional stuff (that is still under construction), from those issues which are likely to persist. That is what any serious journalist would have attempted and that would have been valuable. Instead they got a contribution which is impossible to take seriously and which had to be taken down...

That's detrimental to our cause and the opposite of what we should want.

Last edited:

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
So what's the problem again? it's not surprising how critical the video is. As for those screaming it's a video reviewing a preview build. Well duh. It's feedback. Save the hissy fits and troll pointing.

The problem is he's questioning if Windows 10 mobile is trying to shape up yet, and it turns out like he's doubting if it will ever be ready for primetime, and of course it's still not ready, but he's citing all the bad things that he finds and what to fix, he doesn't have to do that because MS knows that they can't just leave that bug issues in their final version.
One more thing is, we insiders DON'T whine our findings on a form of a Youtube video with an unfinished o.s, we do it in the Windows Feedback app. That's why it's there for. He's truly not a real Insider by the looks of it.

Good day.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm with you for the most part, but not on this. It may be feedback, but it's completely irrelevant feedback, as it serves neither MS nor WP users, nor anyone else (unless you see value in misleading people).

I didn't get the impression he was ranting or misleading. It was just a video with his comments and observations which are pretty valid (bad design, awkward controls). I do agree that's it's not really fair to complain about missing features at this stage but I appreciated that he pointed them out. Much better than the usual fluffy tours you see.

BTW the person narrating the video didn't write the content. Longtime WP-fan Adam Lein wrote the "review" and what's his face merely provided the voice. I guess it doesn't matter now.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

I laid down some smack in that comment section.

At least some Windows users chimed in and not only corrected that ****** but they also gave some good tips to other Windows users there with questions.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yup, exactly. The one I linked to. Wish I didn't agree, but I do. 😐

Same here.... which is why I have been saying we need to be overly critical (other posts). As at the end of the day it is us, the users that will be using the phones day in, day out and in some cases for a number of years - not everyone upgrades annually.

MS has approximately 41 days until IFA... so I imagine all hands are on deck in regards to phones.

Therefore hopefully, the next build for phones will be much more cohesive and not disjointed. Don't get me wrong there are glimmers of what could be the makings of an amazing o/s however this the "transition phase" and where generally things go horribly sideways.

Anyway enough of this depressing talk :grincry: (I blame the weather!); I'm going out to enjoy the sun :cool:...as it's been raining heavily for the past few days.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes people mistake their opinions or beliefs as being the truth, well, I'm here to tell you that just because you say it's your opinion doesn't mean you are factually correct. So, if you think windows phone 10 is ready for everyday use, you're free to believe that, but you'd still be factually incorrect.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes people mistake their opinions or beliefs as being the truth, well, I'm here to tell you that just because you say it's your opinion doesn't mean you are factually correct. So, if you think windows phone 10 is ready for everyday use, you're free to believe that, but you'd still be factually incorrect.

Well said
excellent.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6