There's no cortana in build 10512. how to get it?

Amit Mishra3

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
After reset i'v selected region USA and language USA English...still i cant see cortana in my phone..how could i get that? I have not used cortana since i left win 8.1...Im pretty sure selecting USA in region n USA English in language does the trick! but cant do it!

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem (capacitive search button launches yandex.com on Edge)

Edit: This is after a hard reset. Might try another one

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else facing the same problem? I'd rather not go through another hardreset cycle if it's not likely to fix the issue.

Edit: Apparently there are a couple of other people with this Yandex issue as well. One person repored in the Feedback app that a hard reset doesn't fix it. This build will be without Cortana for me I guess..

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried searching for cortana in the app list and enabling her that way? Or just have it pinned to start. Keep in mind "location" has to be on for Cortana to work. Otherwise you will not get Cortana.

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried searching for cortana in the app list and enabling her that way? Or just have it pinned to start. Keep in mind "location" has to be on for Cortana to work. Otherwise you will not get Cortana.

The entry that is on the app list is "Search" - which shouldn't be a problem because in the past couple of builds it was sometimes 'Cortana', sometimes 'Search' for me on the app list and it didn't matter - I got Cortana either way. In this build, I get some yandex.com URL in the Edge browser. Location was always on.

You also need to enable US English Keyboard :) just setting the region and language won't work lol.

Region: US, Lang: US-English, Keyboard (primary): US-English. This has been my setup since 8.1 and for all the previews; and this is the first time I don't have Cortana - so must be something different.

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
English (US) is the only language in the Speech settings and it is the default.

This is either a bug for some particular regions, or maybe Microsoft is taking some steps to block the workarounds for getting Cortana to work in unsupported regions. I believe it's the former though, Microsoft was initially enthusiastic to have testers who are eager enough to go through all these hoops to play with Cortana - why would they change their mind now?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Could also look at time zone. Mine is eastern. I set mine right after a factory reset. In region you must have it set to "match phone language"

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
After reset i'v selected region USA and language USA English...still i cant see cortana in my phone..how could i get that? I have not used cortana since i left win 8.1...Im pretty sure selecting USA in region n USA English in language does the trick! but cant do it!

You will also need to set Speech to US speech language for Cortana to work.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Region: US, Lang: US-English, Keyboard (primary): US-English. This has been my setup since 8.1 and for all the previews; and this is the first time I don't have Cortana - so must be something different.

Strange, it does indeed sound like a bug as that very "trick" works on the desktop.

However it does have one major drawback, you constantly need to change the language to your default language or the one you created the password with otherwise you will have trouble logging in.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Guys, after you set-up everything with cortana (language, region, etc ) and after you download your preferred language in cortana settings, you must go back to your phone general updates and check if it doesn't require restart. Everytime you change or add another language in cortana you must perform a phone update, otherwise it won't reconize any changes that has been made.

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Strange, it does indeed sound like a bug as that very "trick" works on the desktop.

However it does have one major drawback, you constantly need to change the language to your default language or the one you created the password with otherwise you will have trouble logging in.

Exactly :) Win+space is a godsend for that

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb