Unable to add speech language on Lumia 1520, therefore Cortana doesn't work

Juan Ochoa1

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I am running WM10, 10512 in a Lumia 1520 bought in Hong Kong. I am in the USA and I have set up my keyboard language to English and my region to US.

I can't enable Cortana because it tells me "Cortana isn't supported in the region and language you've selected" (again: US, English)

I suspect that the issue is that I have not been able to install a speech language. Every time I hit [+] Add a language, I end up in a screen with the title "ADD A LANGUAGE" and nothing else. No languages listed, no elipsis, nothing. Just the screen title and a black screen.

Any ideas on what to try? I am out of ideas.

Thanks,

Juan

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I am running WM10, 10512 in a Lumia 1520 bought in Hong Kong. I am in the USA and I have set up my keyboard language to English and my region to US.

I can't enable Cortana because it tells me "Cortana isn't supported in the region and language you've selected" (again: US, English)

I suspect that the issue is that I have not been able to install a speech language. Every time I hit [+] Add a language, I end up in a screen with the title "ADD A LANGUAGE" and nothing else. No languages listed, no elipsis, nothing. Just the screen title and a black screen.

Any ideas on what to try? I am out of ideas.

Thanks,

Juan

1- You got the 512
2- check if you still have the "Windows insider app" on your phone....if yes delete it>download again>re-register>slow or fast ring>then check again for downloading the language....if you do not have it re-installed it and check

That's what it was for me....took hours to realize it but finally got it

And Welcome to the forum

renuzaki

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
1- You got the 512
2- check if you still have the "Windows insider app" on your phone....if yes delete it>download again>re-register>slow or fast ring>then check again for downloading the language....if you do not have it re-installed it and check

That's what it was for me....took hours to realize it but finally got it

didnt work :/ T_T

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
[B[/B]
didnt work :/ T_T

the insider never came back on mine then I re-added it, I went to re-register with the insider and went to add a language. It did download instead of telling me "attention required" then I went to phone update then I saw the phone telling me I had to restart the phone to make it happen.

Later I saw a post from a guy telling people to delete the insider if theirs came back and re-installed it

Juan Ochoa1

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. What you describe is exactly how I solved the issue of the keyboard not downloading a new language. My issue is with Speech language. I don't get any option to add one. When I select [+] to add a speech language, I get to this screen:

wp_ss_20150824_0001.jpg

There are no options for me to add any languages. Not even English.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Juan

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. What you describe is exactly how I solved the issue of the keyboard not downloading a new language. My issue is with Speech language. I don't get any option to add one. When I select [+] to add a speech language, I get to this screen
View attachment 110964

There are no options for me to add any languages. Not even English.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Juan

Reload the sofware then via reset the phone

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
There is only one option; restore 8.1, install necessary language here, setup Cortana and upgrade to 10546 without doing hard reset.
Went the same route and now everything works fine. As additional bonus you will get Motion, Glance etc in Extras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb