Why I'm Rolling Back to 8.1 - for now

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Win 10 on my Lumia 925 for about three months now since it became stable enough to use as my daily driver. But now the phone is starting to show its age; it lags, restarts randomly, resumes constantly and live tiles fail to open and mail goes missing. Sure, partly it's the OS but the phone is 2.5 years old.

So I've rolled back to 8.1 and it's like a breath of fresh air. The phone zips, it's smooth, responsive and alive again. There's nothing I really miss to be honest and the cleanness of 8.1 is refreshing again.

I rolled back because I was starting to hate Windows 10. And I don't want to. I want to love it and for it to be successful. But using it as it was made me start considering Android. Which is not a good sign.

There's a reason Microsoft has a small list of phones that will auto-update to Win 10 and there is a reason the L925 isn't on it. It doesn't cut it. I've decided to wait it out til the flagships come and use Windows 10 on phones for which it is designed and can cope.

If you're starting to feel like me, give it a try. Abandon it until it's ready. Then love it all over again.

p karthik

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Even I have done the same...i have roll back to windows 8.1, my photos app never worked properly n crashed always.it's better to wait for fully finished windows 10...hope all could be well when the same is finished n out...

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It's not the phone's fault (atleast not as much as you said). Your 925 can most probably handle Win10. Just maybe not this build. Don't give up on it.
I mean, I'm not sure if I understood you completely. Are you saying you're just waiting on 8.1 for Win10 to be better, or you won't get Win10 at all?

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Oh no, I'm not giving up on W10. I'm having a break so I don't get jaded by its performance! My phone definitely has a part to play in the speed otherwise it would be on MS's route map for upgrade. Those using Insider will get a poorer experience of they are not on the list, surely?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well..yes, the preview is undeniably worse than both 8.1 and how the final Win10 will be in terms of performance. But it's not THAT bad, so if you wanna enjoy the new features early, you can trade it off. I'm pretty sure Win10 (final) will work just great on your 925, and dj1891's 640.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
So why is the 925 not in the list of supported phones? It must be performance related. And believe me, it had become THAT bad after three months. I was fed up of waiting 15 seconds for something to happen after pressing it. So.. I'm enjoying 8.1 again for now and will return with a 940XL :)

xxfuzzyxx

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
From what I understand so far is that most of the phones that aren't on the list to update is due to there age and carriers have no plans to send out the update to old phones. But if ur phone is eligible for preview then u will be able to get the rtm via the insider program and most likely before it is released through carriers.

ramtwins25

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. I have had a rather good experience on my 1520. I'd take WP10 Preview over 8.1 in a heart beat. The mere fact that I can attach a file to an email now makes all the difference for me and makes me never want to look back to 8.1. Sorry to hear many are having problems on the preview but it has been great foe me. Kudos to Microsoft and all the other Insiders.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
IDK why people are having so many problems. My apps open at alright speeds, and I rarely have to wait more than 3-4 seconds for them. Even store (which was terrible, like 10 sec wait) opens nearly instantly now. Are you on the newest build?

sully9088

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
You just saved me from updating to W10 Mobile. I really want to try it out, but I want it to be everything its supposed to be. Thanks friend. Guess I'll have to be patient and wait another few months too. I was thinking about updating for the wrong reasons I guess. Its purpose right now is for testing and reporting issues. I want the final product. Thanks

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol I went back to 8.1 briefly as well, mostly because I had to in order to get the previous build :p but those few hours were so sweet! Beautiful keyboard, good response times, stable etc....

However I missed w10 so much that I just had to return :p it's like a drug :/

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You are going to miss it for sure Chris. So far, I have not been able to enjoy Windows 10 on my 1520 but on my HTC One M8, you can almost forget its a preview, that's how stable its been. I rolled my 1520 back to 8.1 and it'll sit there for a while but I can daily drive my HTC until maybe the next build.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't hurt to give W10M a try, unless it kills your phone. I'll probably "update" one of my Lumias when a more stable version comes out but probably won't stay with it. Almost rather go back to Android than stomach a wannabe version of it.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
IDK why people are having so many problems. My apps open at alright speeds, and I rarely have to wait more than 3-4 seconds for them. Even store (which was terrible, like 10 sec wait) opens nearly instantly now. Are you on the newest build?
Yep, newest build, clean install (which caused more problems than a "dirty" install but that's by the by). Like I say, my phone's two years old now.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
You are going to miss it for sure Chris. So far, I have not been able to enjoy Windows 10 on my 1520 but on my HTC One M8, you can almost forget its a preview, that's how stable its been. I rolled my 1520 back to 8.1 and it'll sit there for a while but I can daily drive my HTC until maybe the next build.
Yeah, different strokes for different phones. Your mileage may vary. Etc. I'm sure other 925 owners are having a blast with it, but there's so many variables I suppose that can affect your experience. I enjoyed what I saw but will wait. If I had a second phone I'd use that but it's not good for me for daily use and I'm starting to resent it!

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
You just saved me from updating to W10 Mobile. I really want to try it out, but I want it to be everything its supposed to be. Thanks friend. Guess I'll have to be patient and wait another few months too. I was thinking about updating for the wrong reasons I guess. Its purpose right now is for testing and reporting issues. I want the final product. Thanks
Don't let me sway you. At least give it a try first.

fekish

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issues when i initially installed W10 during the first couple of months of its release.

I rolled back and never thought of going back, until i will read somewhere that it is stable.

I want to check it once more on my 830, but i am bored and have no time on going back and forth! :)

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I think I am going to have to do this as well. I have W10M on my Lumia 521, but it is really not ready to be on my daily driver. Half the time when I try to do something on the phone, I can barely unlock the phone, and even then it often hangs before loading the start screen. If it wasn't for a Moto E that I use as a wifi-only device to play with Android, I would have given up on W10M a while ago, or maybe not even tested it at all.
Perhaps I wouldn't have these problems if I had done a hard reset, but regardless, it just isn't stable enough for me to rely on. I will wait a few more days to see if MS pushes out a newer build to the Insiders program, but if it doesn't come this week, I will probably revert back to 8.1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers