Cannot set custom ringtones, where are they?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Quite late, but you need to set the mp3 / wma file's genre to Ringtone. Then you have to move that file to Phone > Ringtones. And limits on length of ringtone doesn't mean that it'll not be shown in the list.

:smile:

Last edited:

dougrichardsKC

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Couldn't tell if this is resolved yet but here's what I've learned. If the source file is a w4a and you drop to the Ringtones folder (via USB) you will get a prompt to convert the file and the sound will become available instantly on your sounds list. I tried the same thing with other audio file formats and so far only w4a is working for me. I will post more if I have any more success.

FYI - three weeks in and so far I hate my 950.

george404

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
I had the same problem but I searched on the internet and found a solution.
Convert the file you want to set as ringtone to .wma, and put it in Phone>Ringtones.
After this operation you'll see the file into ringtones options.

Best of luck,
George :cool:

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I had the same problem but I searched on the internet and found a solution.
Convert the file you want to set as ringtone to .wma, and put it in Phone>Ringtones.
After this operation you'll see the file into ringtones options.

Best of luck,
George :cool:

No need to convert. MP3 will also do. All of my custom ringtones are MP3s.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Depends on what preview build you use, etc...
.mp3, .wma...what's important is to have the result you want
Peace! :cool:

The point is I have been using MP3 ringtones since WP8.1 and then on every single W10M preview build. It's just my experience. Yeah, that's important. 👍

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't tell if this is resolved yet but here's what I've learned. If the source file is a w4a and you drop to the Ringtones folder (via USB) you will get a prompt to convert the file and the sound will become available instantly on your sounds list. I tried the same thing with other audio file formats and so far only w4a is working for me. I will post more if I have any more success.

FYI - three weeks in and so far I hate my 950.

So I don't know about or if there is even a w4a, but I know what works now, I had mp3, m4r, and wma files in my ringtones folder on the phone file system, not sd card. Over the last few months the usable file types have changed that is why I have all three types, so now with 10586.71 I use wma files and they did not show up until I changed the genre to ringtone, thanks Deepak_HK

Simon Hudson

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Apparently I can't link to my external content, so here is my insight:

After extensive investigation and testing using two different Lumia 950s running the latest version of Windows phone 10 (OS build 10.0.10586.218) I can provide the following insight:
? Ring tones must reside in the Ringtones folder (and it seems that this folder must remain on the phone not on the SD card though I haven?t tested this extensively)
? MP3 and WMA files are supported. WAV do not seem to be usable. I haven?t tested anything else.
? The one CRITICAL requirement is that you MUST copy to the Ringtones folder from your PC over USB. Every other approach I?ve tried, including Bluetooth, download from OneDrive, copy from SD card using the Files app, etc. has failed.
? The following make NO difference whatsoever to whether the file will or won?t appear in the ring tone selection drop-down (personalisation, sounds, ringtone)
○ Genre (ignore any advice about this needing to be set to a genre of ?ringtone?)
○ Sample length (ignore any advice about this needing to be set to 40 seconds or less)
○ Bit rate (I had this running with bit rates from hundred and 128 to 320 kbps)
○ Metadata (it seems to largely ignore all the metadata in the file header, though there is something slightly odd going on and it seems to extract the track name correctly even if it has a leading track number in either the file name all the track name)
? You cannot create folders within the Ringtones folder and use these to organise ring tones and alerts; anything within a folder is ignored.
Once you have added ringtones in this way in then select the ring tone from Personalisation, Sounds and the Ringtone drop-down; your custom sounds will be at the bottom of the list and there is no way to remove the undesirable built-in tones.

Custom notifications for texts etc.
Exactly the same rules apply for notifications, except that they are added by going into Manage App Sounds at the bottom of the Personalisation, Sounds screen. You then click on each app that provides notifications and select your notification sound. Since there is no way to tell the length of the sound you?re selecting, you may wish to change the notification sound names to something like ?alert-soundname?

The Alarms App bug
My final observation is that the Alarms App ignores the sound you select through the application. However my big discovery is that you can set the alarm sound exactly the same way that you set notification sounds (see the previous paragraph). Clearly this is a bug, but it?s good to have a workaround.

mikhibb

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I have found that dropping a .M4R file into the ringtone directory by usb lead gets the convert file message and it then appears as a usable ringtone. :) I have Lumia 550

AK H

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
It is easy, download microsoft ringtone maker from the store, copy your mp3 file in your phone or sd card. Open up ringtone maker and press the + sign in it find your music and cut it to ringtone size, save it and it will show up among ringtones.

terra

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
i cannot see the ringtone folder on the phone
where is it buried?????

very fustrating this W10M

I transferred the ringtones from the Pc, to the sd card. Once on the sdcard, i then used a file/folders app to transfer them to the ringtone folder on the device. The app sees the folder, explorer doesn't
Guess what!?, it doesn't recognize a thing. What is wrong with a simple file transfer the way it worked on WP8.1

Everytime you try to do something with this frustrating handicapped os, you run into roadblocks.

It's completely unlocked INterop/Capa/Dev....What's going on?

Does anyone have clear cut way of doing this, and it works 100%

Last edited:

terra

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 M is broken

i converted the files to .m4a.
then copied over to the phone(sdcard). the phone asked if they should be converted first. "YES", that's a good sign.
i then transferred the files to the Ringtones folder, and guess what, nothing was being registered, rebooted, no difference.

you cannot use custom ringtones, till they fix this problem.

This shouldn't be an issue in any modern mobile os.

Were in the 21ST century, but yet sometimes i feel i'm in the 50's, and i wasn't born yet

ALSO I CAN'T see the ringtone folder in explorer, when the phone is attached. If i could, i would transfer directly to that folder.
WHERE IS IT? Can someone point out the path

thx! in advance

mbisht344

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I am trying this. But after selecting Ringtone , under Sound I can't see the ringtone that I recently added. Only the pre-installed tunes are shown.

terra

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
The only way i was able to resolve this, was by hard resetting. Once i did that, the ringtones appear. Although i still can't see the ringtone folder thru explorer, only thru the phone...bizarre

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre