Back on 8.1...

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
No actually we don't, because they are in fact still pre release software, "close to release" is not "released" and until it is "released" it is in fact "pre release software" I seriously don't understand how its so hard for people to grasp what "pre release" software means, its pretty damn self explanatory =/

ADJECTIVE

of, relating to, or denoting a record, movie, or other product that has not yet been generally released:

"a prerelease version of the software"

NOUN

a movie, record, or other product given restricted availability before being generally released.

Yeah....I think we understand what pre-released actually means. That being said, there is an important distinction between alpha, beta, release candidate (sometimes with multiple versions), and RTM.

We are out of the alpha stage and we are in the beta stage. We are nearing release candidate status. The only "restriction" on using this software is your voluntarily entry into the Windows Insider program, otherwise this is a publicly available alpha/beta/release candidate.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I think I am going to rollback to 8.1 today. The os is mostly stable with little bugs and little crashing. Which is good. But the mail app I tragic and annoying me greatly. Groove music sucks so bad. So I am going back fo windows phone 8.1 soon

I have no qualms with an OS that does what I want it / need it to do without crashing or restarting. I hope once the RTM build is ready to go that the text size returns to normal. I know when I use some apps or play some games that the font becomes 2-3 times smaller than the standard font size I use and this behavior is not present in 8.1. It's probably because the builds are not device specific and cater to multiple resolutions.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
ADJECTIVE

of, relating to, or denoting a record, movie, or other product that has not yet been generally released:

"a prerelease version of the software"

NOUN

a movie, record, or other product given restricted availability before being generally released.

Yeah....I think we understand what pre-released actually means. That being said, there is an important distinction between alpha, beta, release candidate (sometimes with multiple versions), and RTM.

We are out of the alpha stage and we are in the beta stage. We are nearing release candidate status. The only "restriction" on using this software is your voluntarily entry into the Windows Insider program, otherwise this is a publicly available alpha/beta/release candidate.

Once again.. near release =/= release

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I understand that these are pre release builds and will have bugs, but I went on the fast ring thinking that these bugs would be ironed out quicker. Buy to have to wait 3-4 weeks between builds is no good if you're running it on your only phone.

I'm now back on 8.1 and can't believe how much better it is and start to realise how many bugs 10 currently has.

Well. They did say not to use your main phone for this as its hardly useful as a daily driver. Just sayin. ;)

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
You're absolutely right. I shouldn't be using this on my phone I rely on. But I bet most people do.

It's true. And I'm not going to lie, I've had a case of beta testers itch before. I'd rather be using my ativ s with windows 8.1 and upgrade this 1020 to windows 10. But I'm waiting on a battery to be shipped for my ativ s so I'm stuck with this for now. :(

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I expect egg on a lot of faces once many of these problems still exist on the "finished" release software. It is an excuse that rings a tiny bit more hollow each and every day.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Justin Engel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I installed Windows 10 preview on my PC and I remember that there were problems with the pre-release software that annoyed me, Bluetooth was basically useless and the browsers were locking up randomly, then July 29th came and the release has not been a disappointment for me.

I have gone back to 10 as there is a lot I like:

I like the transparent tiles.
I like the Outlook email app.
I like the messaging app.

Yes I have battery issues, and a bit of lag. I have an HTC One M8 and I admit except for the camera and color of the display it smokes my Lumia 1020.

I am not experiencing the problems of the original poster. I am looking forward to the final release and maybe a 950 :)

I agree Windows 10 preview vs the release was vastly different. The release was stable and worked like a charm. I still have had app crashing problems though.

I tried my HTC One M8 with the windows 10 mobile preview with no success. Apps crashed and the phone restarted on its own several times. There are many things I like about Window 10 mobile, but I couldn't use the preview for my everyday device.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If people don't actually use the preview on the primary device how would we get accurate testing and input feedback?

Install the preview on a second device, then don't use it for messaging, calls, navigation, etc? That would be a waist of time. Real issues aren't found until you try to use a system in real life.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
If people don't actually use the preview on the primary device how would we get accurate testing and input feedback?

Install the preview on a second device, then don't use it for messaging, calls, navigation, etc? That would be a waist of time. Real issues aren't found until you try to use a system in real life.

Yea, my advice is to have a phone that you can use as an emergency back up, a phone that can work with your main phone's sim so that if a build gets to bad you can go back to the stable phone for a bit, I've done that a few times.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It would be the best way. I have a 1520 and a spare 640. Unfortunately, different SIM size. It requires a visit to AT&T and a new SIM each time. Arrrg :(

vw65bus

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
It would be the best way. I have a 1520 and a spare 640. Unfortunately, different SIM size. It requires a visit to AT&T and a new SIM each time. Arrrg :(

I have the same issue but I use a nano sim with an adapter to switch back and forth. Amazon for around $4

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Totally true! And this preview is not in a stage to have it on your primary phone. Also there have been ongoing bug reports of serious issues like the "loading..." screen that have not been fixed at all. So it is really just a preview version for developers atm. But people are so desperate and install it in their primary phone. Anyways its disappointing right now compared to 8.1. Yeah many changes under the hood but it lacks even more functionality than 8.1 did. For the user the disadvantages overweigh the advantages.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Totally true! And this preview is not in a stage to have it on your primary phone. Also there have been ongoing bug reports of serious issues like the "loading..." screen that have not been fixed at all. So it is really just a preview version for developers atm. But people are so desperate and install it in their primary phone. Anyways its disappointing right now compared to 8.1. Yeah many changes under the hood but it lacks even more functionality than 8.1 did. For the user the disadvantages overweigh the advantages.

What functionality is missing?

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
What functionality is missing?
I guess you follow the forums here and check back often enough to know. No certificate for VPN (IKEv2) connections, no official glance screen settings anymore and no glance background app at all, lack of store history for recently updated apps, inability to open plain .txt files and hundreds of other things that lack in W10M plus those officially mentioned as broken and features that available but totally bug-ridden. Just take a look round the forums and you'll see what I mean. Not recommended as daily driver.
Those who say they are fine with W10M ,as it is right now, simply have a very limited usage scenario. A feature phone would serve the job as well I guess.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
* Loading apps
Tend to disagree...

* The homescreen
tend to disagree, the home screen is greatly improved with numerous customization options, maybe it still isn't as smooth as on 8.1 but you can't say that it is better on 8.1

* The lockscreen shows the right stuff without lagging or going blank
There is no lagging, it was the previous build issue and is fixed now..

* Editing photos
What about?

Attaching photos to email / messaging etc
This is greatly improved, one of the best parts of the new OS, you can attach nearly everything and you can even choose what is preferred app for attaching, it is up to you to choose while you for example attach photo through photo app, file manager or something else...

Usability and speed in general
can't really complain about speed, but I'm using 930 and it could be hardware related...

The keyboard doesn't suck
What's wrong with keyboard? It is also improved and not having single problem with...

The battery doesn't die inside 12 hours
Yeah, you are right but it will be improved for sure, don't forget this is not the full backed product, just a technical preview with lot of bugs here and there and plenty of room for improvements and further optimizations...

The mail and calendar apps don't crash 30% of the time
Not having a single problem with any of mentioned apps, as a matter of fact I really like them both, the new Outlook especially, after the recent update that brought dark theme support it is awesome app that is pleasure to touch and to look at...

The app store works
It works, need some speed improvements, proper history but it works fine more or less

The music player works
After the recent updates it started to work properly and now I have no any complain about...

Backup works
Without problem

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess you follow the forums here and check back often enough to know. No certificate for VPN (IKEv2) connections, no official glance screen settings anymore and no glance background app at all, lack of store history for recently updated apps, inability to open plain .txt files and hundreds of other things that lack in W10M plus those officially mentioned as broken and features that available but totally bug-ridden. Just take a look round the forums and you'll see what I mean. Not recommended as daily driver.
Those who say they are fine with W10M ,as it is right now, simply have a very limited usage scenario. A feature phone would serve the job as well I guess.

Also the people app was completely stripped of all functions like history, fast access to new messages, notifications and social feeds. Bi-directional Bluetooth playback (track info, pause, skip, etc.) seems to be gone. According to reports many of the Nokia apps are no longer available if you do a reset. The navigation app lacks 3D driving mode unless in and active route.

Ease of use seems to be missing. UI elements are smaller, harder to read and finicky to click. Menu items seem randomly split between top and bottom menus. What used to be a swipe now takes several clicks.

Too much is missing and the go-live is right around the corner.

kegnatz

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
can't stand those "loading..." any more... rollback in progress... ok to install out of curiosity, but no way it could stand as OS for your main phone

Chazz

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you guys tested Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 pre release before? Microsoft isn't in sync with it's "insiders", we are sometimes 3 or 4 builds behind them. They've said this many times and these are still the same complaints you see from "testers". A lot of their more cutting edge builds aren't quite stable(and if they gave it to us anyways that would be the new thing to ***** about) and they seem to only release what they want. Even in RTM Windows 7 and 8 had tiny issues that just seemed to magically disappear on release.

This is test software, period. We are not in sync with Microsoft, period.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss