Windows 10 Mobile build 10549! How do you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariachris

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I haven't read all the thread but I want to give a hint to those with a 1020 and want to perform a hard reset and keep lumia camera:
It's possible to have it, I've lost lumia camera after a hard reset because I wanted to restore my previous backup. Yesterday I could install lumia camera and have it working! You all know that lumia camera is not available for new installs on store, but there is a workaround.
You have to go to store > hamburger menu > My library > Find lumia camera and press the download button! :D

Apart from this, the build feels more solid than previous one, but sometimes apps are very slow, playing recorded videos with photos app is a pain.

Cheers!

Yes! That is what I did yesterday. :D Yet the lumia camera performance now is different from the first time I got (at least that's what I thought). Anyway the build still looks great.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I went back to 8.1 on Friday. And while I miss the look of TP 10, I think I am going to stay on 8.1 for a while now. I was running 10 for months now but it feels good to be back on a smooth and stable OS. And there is not a whole lot that I miss from the Tech Preview right now. And the battery life is like night and day.

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
For me 10549 is working stable in daily use, only several minutes of 'loading' after startup and somewhat more battery use. Changed the text size of my Lumia 640 from 200% to 175%, that allows to have 4 medium tiles or 2 wide tiles in a row, looks very good and readability is still fine.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm doing the upgrade today. Been using TP from initial build on my only windows device (L1020) and as a daily driver. Only .512 for me was a major pain. But, hey, I knew I was testing beta versions. So why whine? My question to 1020 owners; after a hard reset, does Lumia camera disappear? Can you then reinstall it from "my apps?" As I've heard once youve hard reset, you loose the ability to reinstall Lumia camera.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm doing the upgrade today. Been using TP from initial build on my only windows device (L1020) and as a daily driver. Only .512 for me was a major pain. But, hey, I knew I was testing beta versions. So why whine? My question to 1020 owners; after a hard reset, does Lumia camera disappear? Can you then reinstall it from "my apps?" As I've heard once youve hard reset, you loose the ability to reinstall Lumia camera.

Yesterday I opened Lumia Camera for the first time after upgrade, and I had a notice: "Microsoft is going to abandon this app for a more powerful one. Try it now" and the buttons Ok / No, thanks
The build new Camera app as a digital stabilizer for Lumia's don't have it since origin

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Scroll through the previous posts in this thread. A couple of guys have said that you can get it back after yhard reset after going to store>my downloads>history or something of that sort. But I have my doubts as this could be for certain regions only

Manel Fera

May 23, 2013
Visit site

Yes Robbie, as some others have said you can install it again, but only going to your purchases history. I have the phone in spanish and the section is called 'Mi biblioteca' I don't know how it's in english, it's the option above Downloads and updates. Look for it there and press the download button, not the name of the app, as it would redirect to it's store page where it says it's unavailable.

BebMelvin

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
The new build works for my 930. The Windows Central Wesbite via Edge is much better. Last build, the site lags tremendously. Now it is a huge leap. (pls don't dislike me for this comment)

The messages (not the Skype messaging) is also better. The replying via notifications doesn't have any issues with the keyboard anymore.

Calls are better too. I have not had a dropped call like the last build.

The not so good part of this build are the apps like Facebook Beta, Asphalt 8, Skype and VLC Player (to name a few). They heat up my 930 and I end up uninstalling Asphalt and VLC. I need Skype even if it's a battery drainer.

The next thing I don't like about this build is how the tiles blink. It's like the entire screen blinks after it heats up.

So far this is my experience with the new build. I kinda like it since it works for me. I just need to avoid apps that causes the phone to heat up and I'll survive.

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
After one weekend on 10549.4 on my Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Battery life is decent, comperable to what it was on 8.1.

Keyboards and Keypads are terrible. 2/3 of the time you can't see the keys, or can only see some of the keys. Have to clear the keyboard and bring it back some times 2 times.

Some apps crash.

Messaging icon on start screen does not show when I have new messages. I have to keep going in to check if any have been received.

You can use it, I like the new features of Windows Mobile 10, but I'm a little worried if it will be ready for November's release.

xsikal

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The upgrade process was a bit of a pain (downgrading to windows 8.1, then installing the patch then hard resetting (twice) before it started working as expected), but the phone has been stable and my battery life doesn't seem to be suffering as much as other people are saying.

My biggest issue is that my messenger app habitually stops checking spelling / offering suggestions / allowing me to swipe instead of type. The first time I fixed it by restarting the phone. Once it happened again though, I haven't been able to get it back. (The messenger app settings say autocorrect, etc. is on, and toggling it off and back on has no effect). The attachment button also is way too trigger-happy; I've had it go off all the time when trying to type normal messages.

Other than that, it's been stable.

Edit: Just now figured out the messenger issue. Somehow, it got set into EN-GB mode, rather than EN-US. Changing it restored autocorrect, predictive typing, etc.

Edit 2: It seems to like changing to En-GB of its own volition (I'm US-based). Now that I know the issue, it's easy enough to change it back and restore autocorrect, but it's annoying.

Last edited:

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree! I also returned to Win 8.1 on my Lumia Icon because although the OS seems a lot more stable, there are still some significant issues.

1) Background programs have 3 and 4 instances of the same app listed as running in the background. I think this is causing battery issues because my battery went from 100% fully-charged to 27% in only 2 hours and 45 minutes while I was out with friends and I wasn't even using the phone. It was just in my pocket. I even turned off EVERYTHING in background apps, and it still drained. With nowhere to recharge my phone, I actually had to shut it off rendering myself without a phone in case of an emergency. This is NOT good!

2) We are getting closer and closer to a final release and we can't even test "Hey Cortana" because it STILL isnt included in this build!

3) App crashes seem to be a bit more significant in this build as opposed to the previous build. I have had several apps just close on me for no reason.

4) Keyboard seems to be less responsive as well. I didn't really notice until I returned to W8.1, but the swipe keyboard on W10 build is a lot less responsibe than on W 8.1. I had several instances of incorrect spellings and words with W10 Mobile than on W8.1

5) Wireless "hotspot" connectivity intermittently loses signal. I have the Surface Pro 3 and frequently use my Lumia Icon mobile hotspot. I never have an issue with connectivity with W8.1, but W10 Mobile keeps dropping connectivity and I lose internet access on my SP3.

Microsoft needs to stop using JUST the new model phones for internal testing and use a couple of 830s, 930s, Icons, 1020s, etc because not everyone will be buying a $700 new phone. Win 10 needs to work just as well on our Lumia Icons as it will on the Lumia 950/950XL.

Eye D 10 T

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Put win10 on my 1520 on Friday. I did a hard reset and didn't reload any backups. Phone said no sim card once. Some apps randomly act up, mostly stuff like lag before acknowledging that I have selected a photo to upload. Nothing major. Messaging app tile had a message stuck on it for a while. Any issues I've had are fixed with a reboot. When taking a video the timer has a lag before showing that it is running.
Biggest issue I have is cortana live tile not working, it's just a frozen circle. The calendar is showing birthdays on the tile with no option to remove. Also, the battery doesn't seem to be giving an accurate %. It seems to stick and show as a higher number if I reboot. Battery life seems to be ok, does drain a bit faster. Win10 mobile still won't let me install chinese keyboard.

I'm keeping this build on my phone. The issues are mostly minor, it looks great and runs pretty smooth being only a beta.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I put the build on last night after putting the phone back to 8.1. So far it's excellent on my Icon. Fast and responsive for the most part. Near 8.1 speed for most things. I restored from back up and have not done a hard reset, which is good, as it means this is getting closer to where it needs to be. I did allow the phone to do it's background stuff while I slept, and that might be a big key as many tend to play with it a lot before everything is restored.

So far so good. Battery life seems to be very good right now, about on par with 8.1. Good sign for this not suffering from whatever causes the big drain. Hopefully the next build will sort those cases out as well.

Now if only this horrendous predictive text would return to the level it was at with 8.1. Getting tired of constantly fixing the word that it's choosing. Many aren't even close.

Just had to edit this post and fix 4 words that were totally wrong. Ugh!!!

murtaza_p

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site

Hey, i dont think u would need to even perform a reset after upgrading from 8.1. this is my third day and besides the battery drain when the phone is in stand by or kept overnight ive had no issues.
the apps load and open as it was on 8.1 likewise for the camera , as snappy as it was on 8.1 . i recommend you upgrade from 8.1 and dont perform the hard reset just yet. give it some time

Aeosgames

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Great build on my Lumia 640 but recently Lumia Camera will not record videos anymore so Im forced to use Camera to record video. Camera work fine and still has living images but when turning Digital Video Stablization on you cant film. Otherwise it looks like im going to be using Camera instead of Lumia Camera from now on.

Aamod Potdar

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Okay so I am using Lumia 820. 10536 was driving me nuts. I was about to go back to 8.1 till I got to know about 10549 build. 10536 worked well initially but started facing issues like hangs which used to last for almost 2-3 mins or more. Terrible battery performance , app crashing.

I had almost made my mind of sticking to 8.1 still RTM was released but since 10549 anyway asked to go back to 8.1 , I thought why not give it a final try.

Almost 5 days since i am on 10549 on my Lumia 820 , I am pretty pleased with it (touchwood) . Glance screen works well and no more installing to sys app pusher. No more lockscreen issues. Apps work well especially whatsapp which used crash a lot on previous build.
Similarly phone doesnt hang / freeze at all like it used on 10536. Since day 1 on 10549 it hasnt froze even once.

Initially , battery performance was terrible. It wouldnt even last for 5-6 hrs (lumia battery is 2.5 yrs old) . I had decided to go back to 8.1 only due to battery issues as I couldnt use it as my daily driver. But I stumbled about Cortana issue on this forum and I disabled Cortana last night. After that I have almost got 20 hrs of battery backup. And I am amazed. I had charged my phone to 100% at around 10 PM last night and switched of mobile data and wifi. Next morning 8 AM , there not even 1% drop in battery. I switched on mobile data and Wifi , till 8 PM tonight I had 15% battery left. Simply amazing.

Only issue I found that gallery couldnt update pictures from SD card. took hours and lot of times it used display exalamation sign saying unable to read file.

I just hope the performance does not degrade over the time like it did with 10536 build. Till then I am going to stick to 10549 and use my 820 as daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05