10549 and Cortana has lost her voice on 1020

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
In 10549 Cortana has lost her voice. Twice already.

I have upgraded four times to 10549. First time I hard reset after upgrading and lost Lumia Camera.

Second time I had full apps set up in Denim from which the upgrade was made. This is most likely the scenario which a normal user would have. The start screen never loaded, but the core apps and Cortana worked fine through the hardware button.

As the phone was unusable in practice though, given the problem with start screen, I then went back to 8.1 and didn't recover any apps. Upgraded to the new 10549 build, ran Insider preview and downloaded language pack for US English. Narrator worked fine, speech using apps worked fine. Cortana worked fine, but had no voice.

I decided to try a fourth time. This time no apps recoverd either. I ensured that Cortana worked well in 8.1 Denim with all language packs that I use downloaded and ready. The moment I got to 10549, Cortana worked, but she still doesn't speak. The sound of her image turning plays, the apps with speech work, but she still doesn't say a word. Irrespective of how many times I soft reset.

Anyone else has this and found a solution?

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Happened to me also on one of earlier builds... but then MSFT said Cortana won't work in that build. Use recovery tool to go back to 8.1 install insider and go for 10549 build once again. Setup your phone from beginning, set everything to USA, speech, language, region, connect it to Wi-Fi to update. I installed 10549 gave feedback enjoyed new features such as scaling, Groove, Cortana, tap to lock, etc. and went back to 8.1, so should you. It doesn't seem very intelligent to stick with PREVIEW builds and expecting them to run flawless and fine, bug free and asking for help for something what isn't even finished, polished and officially released. With so many soft and hard resets and rollbacks you can only do harm to your phone, I mean things can go terribly wrong, especially when people don't know what are doing. :)

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you read my post, I did tried exactly what you suggested - set everything as US and then went up. Things would be easier to explain, if people not only knew what they are doing but also understood written text. ;-)

I enjoy W10 too much to roll back. Unless Cortana dies completely on this build, I might stick to it for a week or so to try and feedback. It's a way more complete user experience than 8.1 despite its apparent shortcomings.

rramirez65

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my lumia 920 and the spanish voice, I have tried four times to upgrade to the 10549 build (with and without hard reset, restoring and not restoring back up) but cortana always lost her voice, In the previus build Cortana worked fine speaking spanish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6