Windows 10 Texts On PC Messaging App

cyberfighter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this is any indication that the Messaging app on the PC will function for texts in the future or just a bug but all of my texts from one particular contact show up as Skype messages through the PC Messaging app. However, they are SMS texts and not Skype messages. This is my only contact that I have both skype and a phone number for. And it only shows texts from when I got my first WP in April 2014 to May 2014 (which is a lot of texts for this contact). The photo below is of the texts on my phone and the same exact texts with timestamps on the Messaging app for PC. I only overlaid the red bars to protect the name.

I am running Windows 10 Build 10565 on PC and Build 10572 on Mobile (However, I did see it while using the previous mobile build as well).

Is anyone else seeing something similar?

20151020_184011.jpg

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I think this is how the feature should work, instead the that everything is displayed as Skype, thats a Bug in my opinion. Wait and see if the other messages also appear maybe its still syncing.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
If you go into the "Messaging" section in under the Settings app in W10M Build 10572, there is an option to sync your messages on all devices, it's enabled by default...so no, not a bug...it's feature. A nice one.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Still, I have the newest mobile build (10572) and the newest PC build (10565) and I don't have this feature. I can use Cortana to send texts (very cool) and see missed calls (also, very cool) and even respond to missed calls with a text (hella, freakin' awesome cool) . But, nothing shows up under the PC messaging, video, or phone apps. They just show Skype contacts and messages. I'm guessing microsoft has to turn something on on the back end for that all to work, and they haven't rolled that out yet. I can't wait until they do!!!

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Isn't everything supposed to come through Skype now? Or am I mis understanding about what they meant when they said they integrated messaging through Skype.

cyberfighter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure it will end being seamless where the messaging app on the PC works the same as on mobile. However, I have no idea what happened where I got a chunk of old texts to come up in the app on my PC. I still cannot text out or get new texts through the app though, just a random month of old texts labeled skype messages.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Yes, but you'll need the Windows 10 November Update (that hasn't been released yet) to get these features. And the official Windows 10 release for phones (which also hasn't been released yet).
You can try out some of these features right now with the Insider Preview program, but the features are not complete yet and you also risk instability on your devices by running the incomplete versions of the operating systems.

As to what "integration" means for the integrated messaging apps, it will be a little bit of everything. The simplest interpretation is that both services are integrated into one app. You can send skype messages from the messaging app to your skype contacts or you can send text messages to your text messaging contacts from the messaging app. It's exactly the same as having two separate apps, only you don't have to bother switching back and forth between different apps.

The other interpretation is that they are integrating the services, themselves.Which is not strictly a function of the app, but depends upon some cloud-based backend microsoft magic.Obviously, you cannot Skype people who do not have skype. Or send text messages to people who do not have SMS phones. But, you can send and receive text messages from a computer that otherwise not be able to send text messages because it doesn't have a cellular connection. Also, whether or not you send text messages or skype messages, all of you message history will be synced across all of the devices you use.

Microsoft hasn't explicitly confirmed or denied any of those features. But, all indications are that the new integrated app and services will do all of these things.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that Windows 10 can text from PC w/ build 10565 to a non-Windows 10 Mobile device. My Windows 10 Mobile device is powered off & has no SIM card. I was able to send a text from my Windows 10 PC to a Windows Phone 8.1 device (Lumia 635). I have Cortana (BETA) on my Android HTC One M7, so I'm not sure if Cortana is not a requirement or not.

As you already know, the message has to be initiated from Cortana on Windows 10 (Build 10565) from the time being.

UPDATE I just texted a person on an iPhone & they received the text! On top of that, the text message I sent actually sync'ed into my Android messaging app!

UPDATE 2: Also sent to an Android device and it synced the conversation on my Android phone as well.

Last edited:

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Why should it matter which OS the device receiving the message is running on? The interesting question is how does Windows 10 send the message.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have Cortana (BETA) on my Android HTC One M7, so I'm not sure if Cortana is not a requirement or not.

Microsoft did state in their Blog post that Cortana was required on the phone and on PC, and that Cortana would handle the syncing between the devices. Yes, this is how it is supposed to work. Pretty cool that Cortana is handling it from the other devices. A welcome addition, as it will help people look more to the Microsoft ecosystem as a solution.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Why should it matter which OS the device receiving the message is running on? The interesting question is how does Windows 10 send the message.

This confirms that they are truly passing it along via SMS and not simply syncing through a Skype back-end. Which is how I believe Apple is accomplishing this feature, through iMessage --- as I believe its limited to sending to other iOS customers with iMessage (correct me if I'm mistaken). I was afraid Microsoft would make this feature dependent upon Skype messaging.

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a WP device anymore, but Cortana for Android is so good now that it feels like I do as far as integration with Windows 10 is concerned. Basically, instructing Cortana on my PC to send a text to someone pushes the command to my Xperia Z3 and the phone takes care of the rest. The message does not appear in the new Windows 10 messaging app, so I can only assume that Skype is not involved at any point and it is simply Cortana communicating across devices.

After the last couple of updates, particularly with the addition of "Hey Cortana", I've now truly been able to leave Google Now behind.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, they did state Cortana would be required for the messaging, and that it is Cortana that facilitates it, not Skype or messaging. Cortana must be using the same MS Account on both devices in order for it to work.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone installed the newest build that dropped today? I'd be interested to hear if the messaging feature has been "turned on" in full, such that you can text message from the messaging app.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Not working here. I remember a couple builds ago, I could see all my current phone sms displayed in the app and I could send a text with it.

Not working since last build. I was hoping it would be working fully with this one as it's rumored to be TH2, but maybe MS needs to turn something on or this isn't final yet.

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Works again with 10586 - after fixing it like Microsoft described... :)
confirmed on Surface Pro 3 and Asus ROG Laptop...
ahhhhh... like it! :)

HScottLeviant

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I just noticed today, before updating my Surface Pro 3 to the 586 build, that when I missed a call on my phone, the missed call appeared on the Surface with an option to text a reply! When I had time this evening, I updated to the 586 build and then tested texting back to a phone that called. Worked perfectly. Feels like all the pieces are coming together in a smoother way now. And I, too, LIKE IT!

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
You're seeing your SMS carrier texts and contacts on the pc app and not skype texts and contacts?
no, the pc app is just meant to handle skype texts - not SMS.
but skype texts and contacts where broken (for me and many others) in the last build (even after "fixing" it like MS described).
now it works again (for me) :)

contacts are synced over all devices - should be the same anywhere...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)