Lost synced text messages

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has run into this issue...

I just installed the 10572 build on my Lumia 1020, and after recovering to 8.1 and upgrading to Windows 10 build 10572 , my entire text message history was gone. I reset the device and restored from backup, and the only messages I got back were prior to November 13, 2014.

I just did a reset again and I'm not going to restore from backup but I'm worried I just lost a lot of text message history. Anyone ever experience this and have any suggestions?

Edit: Just to add, this isn't the first preview build I've installed - had 10549 installed and almost all of the builds before... seems odd that the past 11 months of messages are gone...

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Either give it time (takes a while to restore) or turn on backup from within the app, which also turns on restore. It's kind of confusing. Installing 10572 right now so I can't check the exact settings.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. It's been several hours since I updated to build 10572 and have yet to see my backed up text messages. Even after opening a new text with someone, previous text history is not there.

Obviously a problem with this build. Texts were restored when I was briefly on 8.1.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes... Same thing with me! Lost text message sync since November 2014 and that kind of sucks because I had important text messages the last few days.

hopefully they are just slow to sync and will be available after a few hours.

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I've got March 2014 to June 2014 text messages and text messages received after the update. Skype messages from 10/14 forward. Last night I set it to just restore last months worth hoping it would at least get those, but it didn't get anything when I checked this morning. This morning I tried setting the screen time out to be never, setting it for last year, restarting, opening up messenger. None of the contacts it's showing has had any additional messages filled in during the last 3 hours it's been like this. The phone(920) is insanely hot though. I'm assuming that the new Messenger is just borked again. It was fine the first two days when they updated it, then last Tuesday morning it started draining battery like crazy, which fixed itself Sunday, which has now been put back into worse condition as of last night(fast battery drain, but now spotty message history). Hope it gets resolved quickly.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's the messaging app because I downloaded the older skype messaging beta app and that is not syncing either. It must be something with the phone's internal messaging "database" that is not syncing with Microsoft or not allowing the apps to read the messages.

Edit: New messages come in fine but older ones are not syncing. Must be a sync issue. I think PC texting broke something.

Last edited:

ben_uk

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Same here.

Lost all my text history, never happen in any other preview builds.

I've gone into settings and set to download messages to Any time.

I'll see what happens over the next few hours but I don't hold much hope.

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Another thing I noticed. In some cases, my skype message history and text message history are listed under separate contacts in the list, even if the contacts are linked.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Okay, yeah definitely something wrong with the build then which is what I was hoping... Seemed like an odd behavior.

Anyone submit a feedback item yet?

jobinthomas

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Have the same issue here. Seeing that a lot of people were affected by it I'm hopeful that they maybe able to fix it? I really hope so, I have years worth of messaging history that I don't want to lose :(

Karpito

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It took me about 2 days to recover all my txt on 10549. I'm confident they'll come back on 10572. I have the impression that they sync while you're talking on the phone...???

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Having this problem too. I did notice a small, short spurt of syncing when I texted a friend. But, it didn't sync many messages and stopped shortly thereafter. Hasn't synced any more since then.

I tried changing every option, setting, feature I could possibly thing of between messaging, cortana, skype, outlook, etc. Tried restarting, closing/opening apps, updating apps, restarting, etc. I've tried letting it idle and "catch up". Nothing has produced any effect so far. I guess I'll just wait.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Update: I'm seeing my messaging history SLOWLY creeping back. As in, a day's worth of messaging (from over a year ago) is taking an hour to show up. Hmmm... this could take a while. But, at least I'm seeing something. I'd feel a lot better knowing that they haven't all been "deleted".

pandhersaab27

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Same here, nothing showing up. Even though i have selected download from last month some messages from 2013 (from beginning of my backup) showed up and then again nothing after that.
You don't to worry because all your old messages are saved in cloud just not syncing to phone in this build. And I'm not sure if texts of this build is backing up or not.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Tried using contacts+message backup from microsoft? It creates a file and can be restored locally, data must be present on the phone in order to do the backup, so you should go back to 8.1 let them sync and use the app (it's a settings app)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb