Does flashing OS back to 8.1 and then getting Insider builds affect Phones?

Pradeep John

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I have been an Insider for the past 6 months and have used the Device Recovery Tool at least 6-8 times to get new builds. Even today, I am planning to do it to get the Mobile Build 10572.

Will this cause any hardware issues?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have been an Insider for the past 6 months and have used the Device Recovery Tool at least 6-8 times to get new builds. Even today, I am planning to do it to get the Mobile Build 10572.

Will this cause any hardware issues?

No, current NAND technologies have come a long way. Maybe your phone will only last 10 years instead of 20, but who cares?

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
In reality, phones only last three to six months after you bought them. Immediately upon notification that a new phone is coming out, your device will start to lag and drain the battery almost instantly. Wireless networking and GPS will fail, and all of your apps will crash. Photos will be lost, and phone calls and text messages will be made without your knowledge and cost twice as much through your carrier.

Every time you install the Insider previews on your device, a baby kitten dies. When you use the Windows Device Recovery tool, a puppy dies. I imagine your phone doesn't have much time left. I am truly sorry for your loss. Here, have a Lumia 950. Just hand over $600 plus tax. When the Lumia 1050 is released 8 months from now we will gladly take your $800 plus tax.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
In reality, phones only last three to six months after you bought them. Immediately upon notification that a new phone is coming out, your device will start to lag and drain the battery almost instantly. Wireless networking and GPS will fail, and all of your apps will crash. Photos will be lost, and phone calls and text messages will be made without your knowledge and cost twice as much through your carrier.

Every time you install the Insider previews on your device, a baby kitten dies. When you use the Windows Device Recovery tool, a puppy dies. I imagine your phone doesn't have much time left. I am truly sorry for your loss. Here, have a Lumia 950. Just hand over $600 plus tax. When the Lumia 1050 is released 8 months from now we will gladly take your $800 plus tax.

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

sulistyarso

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I think every storage has write/read lifetime. Maybe it will affect storage or Flash IC, but not sure. I just trying to not think about it XD

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad that someone picked up on the sarcasm of my post and didn't think I was trying to belittle anyone.

I'm willing to wager that any potential impact to these smartphones is minimal, however a corrupted OS or over-the-air update could very easily render a phone inoperable. Just ask anyone who has ever owned an Android based smartphone and flashed multiple ROMs to their device. I've bricked a number of my phones in the past, but nothing to the extent that I couldn't recover. In terms of how that may or may not have affected the lifespan of the phone, I try not to think about it. I'm sure the phones can be read from and written to quite a bit prior to conking out.

I would be more concerned if people were updating their phones and modifying processor speed and voltage. That has the potential to be substantially more harmful than installing and reinstalling the OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte