Why won't my Lumia 1020 connect to my PC?

the pashmeister

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 1020 won't connect to PC

I have a Lumia 1020 running Windows 10 preview 10536 and I'm trying to upgrade to 10572.
I believe I have to recover my software to 8.1 before I can install the new OS. I try to connect my phone to my laptop (Windows 10), but my pc will not detect my phone. The phone charges through the USB lead, but my PC will still not detect my phone.
I've tried all 3 USB sockets and 3 different leads to no avail.
I have also tried a hard reset, but still my laptop will not detect my phone.
My main concern is that I will need to revert to 8.1 in order to install the official version of Windows 10 when it becomes available for download.
I hope I've given enough information.

Please help

Thank you

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1020 won't connect to PC

I believe it's a problem with the 1020's sh*tty usb port cause the ports are garbage on 1020. I've been dealing with the same issue ever since with my 1020 and I got the problem from the first three months of owning it.

the pashmeister

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

I've just tried another lead with my work's computer and it seems to connect ok, but unfortunately the computer is running Windows XP (woohoo!), so I can't try the recovery tool until I plug into my Windows 10 laptop. Why is life so complicated with Microsoft?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I've just tried another lead with my work's computer and it seems to connect ok, but unfortunately the computer is running Windows XP (woohoo!), so I can't try the recovery tool until I plug into my Windows 10 laptop. Why is life so complicated with Microsoft?

Life is not complicated with Microsoft. Simply life goes on. I well know Xp is still on 20% on pc of the planet after decades from beginning, but something MUST be left back for creating something news. On the contrary, Win10 'ld be a total mess if it should be retroactive with 16/32 bit xp !!! :shocked:

the pashmeister

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

I can't run the recovery tool on an XP computer. It only works on Windows 7 onwards. I tried another lead last night using my Windows 10 laptop and, after wiggling the phone's USB socket a bit, it worked. I think it must be a dodgy port as suggested earlier.
I managed to get it back to 8.1 and then install the new Windows 10 preview, so all good - apart from the usual Windows Preview issues. Does anybody else have problems with app updates?
My Twitter app refuses to install. I've tried a few soft resets, but it still fails. All the joys of Windows Preview builds I suppose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss