Project phone screen onto an external display

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
How do i project my phone screen onto my PC's monitor? On 8.1 you just had the "Project my screen" option in the settings. But on W10 it's been replaced by just the wireless option. I want to project my phone display on my PC's monitor via USB connection. Anybody here who's done it or knows how to?

Phone: Lumia 525
PC OS: Win 7 ultimate SP1 (x64)

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
How do i project my phone screen onto my PC's monitor? On 8.1 you just had the "Project my screen" option in the settings. But on W10 it's been replaced by just the wireless option. I want to project my phone display on my PC's monitor via USB connection. Anybody here who's done it or knows how to?

Phone: Lumia 525
PC OS: Win 7 ultimate SP1 (x64)

A quick Google search found these:
Nokia Beamer allows you to share your Lumia display with another device. And it?s the craziest thing we?ve ever seen | Windows Central

Updated: Windows Phone 8.1 Tip: How to Project phone?s screen on a PC | Nokiapoweruser

Use a USB cable to project your Windows Phone 8.1 screen to your PC | Windows Central

EDIT: Personally, I use the Microsoft Wireless Display adapter ($60) for my 640XL and 2 in 1 Ultrabook.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ss-display-adapter%2Fcg4-00001&token=YQWwsKbI

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the help. But my problem is I know how to do it on 8.1, I don't know how to do it on W10. I'm currently running W10 preview build 10572.

And Nokia beamer only projects a still image of the phone display. But thank you for doing the research!

I actually found a way (i think). I'm gonna give it a try, through "Device hub" in the settings, and see if it works.

Update: Doesn't work. Says, "restart required" everytime.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings, system, display and choose "connect to wireless display" at the bottom. It will pull up a list of available displays.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Second, easier method is to swipe down on start for notifications area. Hit Expand on bottom left of notifications window. Hit "Connect" (should be top left). This is the same as Windows 10.

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings, system, display and choose "connect to wireless display" at the bottom. It will pull up a list of available displays.

See, all these are "wireless" methods, which my phone doesn't support. I want to do it via a USB cable, on my PC. That's the problem.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Here ya go. Tested it working out on my 640 XL Win10 mobile Build 10572 - to - Windows 10 build 10565 desktop unit.

Download Project My Screen App for Windows Phone from Official Microsoft Download Center

If you want to project your phone screen to an external display but are unable to connect to a wireless device, you can use a USB cable to connect to a Windows device. Note: To project your phone screen with a USB connection, you?ll need to install the Project My Screen app on your Windows device (a Windows PC, laptop, or select tablet). Once you?ve installed the Project My Screen app, do the following: 1. Use a USB cable to connect your phone to your Windows device. 2. Start the Project My Screen app on your Windows device. 3. On your phone, tap Yes when prompted to allow screen projection. Notes: ? You can?t use a USB connection to project content that?s protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM) ? for example, Xbox Video. ? Projecting your phone screen with a USB connection is video only. You can still manage audio through your phone.

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Here ya go. Tested it working out on my 640 XL Win10 mobile Build 10572 - to - Windows 10 build 10565 desktop unit.

Download Project My Screen App for Windows Phone from Official Microsoft Download Center

If you want to project your phone screen to an external display but are unable to connect to a wireless device, you can use a USB cable to connect to a Windows device. Note: To project your phone screen with a USB connection, you’ll need to install the Project My Screen app on your Windows device (a Windows PC, laptop, or select tablet). Once you’ve installed the Project My Screen app, do the following: 1. Use a USB cable to connect your phone to your Windows device. 2. Start the Project My Screen app on your Windows device. 3. On your phone, tap Yes when prompted to allow screen projection. Notes: • You can’t use a USB connection to project content that’s protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM) – for example, Xbox Video. • Projecting your phone screen with a USB connection is video only. You can still manage audio through your phone.

When i try this, i don't get any prompts. Nothing happens when i open the project my screen app on my desktop. Anything i'm missing?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
When i try this, i don't get any prompts. Nothing happens when i open the project my screen app on my desktop. Anything i'm missing?
1) make sure you installed your devices drivers by just plugging it in with a usb with no other programs that are trying to access the device. Then try again

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
1) make sure you installed your devices drivers by just plugging it in with a usb with no other programs that are trying to access the device. Then try again

Can you explain a little more please? Are you talking about "The windows phone app for pc" ?

I can hear the 'USB connected' alert on both PC and phone when i plug in my device.
And here's a screenshot of my 'devices' section in control panel.
driver.png

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Can you explain a little more please? Are you talking about "The windows phone app for pc" ?

I can hear the 'USB connected' alert on both PC and phone when i plug in my device.
And here's a screenshot of my 'devices' section in control panel.
View attachment 115222

With lumia plugged in usb, in pc go to Control Panel ->System -> All devices and uninstall all Lumia hardware listed in HW list
then unplug, wait 5 secs and replug
follow the hardware list being populated again with lumia devices (more than one: usb, dirver, etc.) and double check if there's something with a ! or a ? mark

Post here

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
My pc recognized my 640XL when I connected it. Maybe the above poster is correct, you might need to have your phone drivers installed. Then, try out the display app again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05