Install From Store Website

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Back in the Windows Phone days, we could go to windowsphone.com and initiate an app install.
Since the move to Windows 10 Mobile, and the unified Store, that seems to have gone by the wayside.
Does anyone know if that functionality will return?
I thought it was very convenient.
JJ

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so it's not just me. I sent a tweet to one of the MS twitter accounts, and never got a satisfactory response. I would love to see it go a bit further, and perhaps this is where they have to do some re-work. You click to Install an app, and it asks which device do you want it installed on.

This may be why we don't see it. On a unified store, just clicking install doesn't tell MS where to install it, do you really want it on your phone, tablet, and desktop? (I have Win10 on all three. :) )

So, as much as I'd like to complain, I guess there is a reason.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
You can still install apps from play.google.com on your Android phone, correct? Just as if you wanted to you could shop for apps, movies, and music for your iPhone from within iTunes.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just realized that I can install Xbox One and 360 games, from the website.
So, it can't purely be a "well I have Windows 10 on multiple devices" issue.
It will install the game to my "home" Xbox One.
The interesting twist is the 360 games.
Those won't install, but will populate the far right side (showing that I own it).

I think that might be a really good way to handle this (and, I think, how it was handled in the Windows 8 days).
I recall having multiple computers and they would each have similar Start Menu listings, but they weren't installed.
It just showed that I had it.
If I tapped on it, it would install.
I could remove it, if I wanted.
If you purchase something, from Windows Store, it just adds the entry on all devices that can run it.
If you don't want it, on a particular device, just remove it.
JJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos