Windows 10 Mobile build 10581 bricked phone (bootloop), how can I unbrick it?

ARMmaster17

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile build 10581 bricked phone (bootloop)p

I own a Nokia Lumia 920. I was on the last build that didn't require flashing back to 8.1 to upgrade. I got build 10581 to download. It tried to do the pre-install stuff ("Preparing to install" in settings app). It failed the first time but worked after redownload. Once I hit restart, it rebooted into the screen with the rotating gears. At this point, the progressbar filled up a little, then a giant ":-(" filled my screen. Then the phone rebooted (it was plugged in). It would repeat this cycle until I unplugged it.

What I have tried:
- LDR/WPRT won't recognize the device
- Flash mode (vol+ on boot) won't do anything
- I can't get the "!" to show up by holding down Vol- on boot
- Vol- + Power while gears are spinning restarts the phone, no change

Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: I did get WDRT to recognize the device and download firmware. But when it tries to install it, the NOKIA logo on my phones screen gets really big. Then WDRT reports that the install failed and the phone restarts.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile build 10581 bricked phone (bootloop)p

Search for "dead flashing" using Nokia Product Support Tool. Safest way to flash a firmware :p

i am couth

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site

I am having the exact same issue, and am not having any luck getting my phone out of the loop, or recognized by WDRT.

I should mention that I can get it out of the loop onto the lightning bolt and settings icon, but still can't get WDRT to recognize it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

redtrinstar

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

im using a lumia 1320 and the exact same thing happened and its not recognizing anywhere im so pissed because this is the second time these updates have done this to me

redtrinstar

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

and lastly WDRT refuses to recognize the phone, once i plug it in to the pc it goes nokia then boot loop sadface and again until i plug it in.

redtrinstar

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

update let your battery die, and when you start the WDRT plug in your phone and it will be on the nokia screen long enough to be read then your can restore to win 8.1 and yes my microsoft account is working again

JohnnyGatt

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

Plug in your phone pressing the volume UP button you will get a lightning logo or just a Nokia logo the use the Windows Device Recovery Tool and select my device was not detected and it will then find it and start from scratch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos