Double tap to sleep?

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
How do you all fancy an idea of having "on screen double tap or similar" functionality to be able to turn off/sleep the phone just like we have double tape to wake the phone?

I find missing this function big time as the on/off button on L930 is kinda flat and also using a silicone case makes clicking the button kinda odd. Even if the button would work fine, still pressing the side button on big phones like 950XL+ might be an uncomfortable move and having some on-screen option would be better?

I know double tap on screen is reserved for zooming in photos (thou rare people use this as most use the two finger pinch?), but maybe m$ can add another feature, like "double tap on windows logo button to turn off the phone", or "double tap on screen when on start screen", etc.

Or am I missing something obvious here that makes this idea a bad one? Your thoughts?

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like nice idea, but needs to be implemented very carefully. Tap to wake is very nice feature, can't live without it, and in Windows 10 latest builds we got double tap onscreen navigation bar to lock device - which is awesome. I can't remember when I touched power button to lock/unlock my phone. I keep my phone almost always on and it lasts 2days on single charge with moderate use. In Windows 10 mobile long tap to start button in onscreen navigation bar activates "one hand mode" which drags display to lower half of the screen. To new Lumia users your suggestion for double tap to turn off would be disaster. I remember the shock when my onscreen navigation bar disappeared from screen, only to find later that it's a feature which activates when you swipe on navigation bar.
Better implementation for turn off the phone would be adding button in action center, also volume controls in action center would be nice too, preserving physical buttons.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Seems like its a no go on the L930, bollocks :(

http://forums.windowscentral.com/as...930-has-function-double-tap-nav-bar-lock.html

As this was actually solution to my problem, I want something to lock the phone, not turn it off as written in OP, so this would be perfect! Don't understand how come it does not work on L930 as the "long press search button to turn ON Cortana even when the phone in locked" works...so why not double tap to lock...maybe they add it in future?

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
It's new feature for Win10M introduced in previous build, it's located in Settings/Personalization/Lock Screen. It's available to devices with onscreen navigation bar.wp_ss_20151031_0001.png.

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't work with 3 navigation buttons on Lumia 930, because you need to tap black area between the back, start or search buttons. One handed mode works when holding start button though.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Yea, I see now, but since "hold the windows logo button for one hand mode" works on L930, then double tap search button should work also, its just a matter of implementing them to the code, but it seems Microsoft only did this for "capacity" button, so newer models.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
This feature is already in windows phone 8.1 gdr2 . Devices like 540/640 alrdy have it.

You are talking about "double tap on navigation bar to lock phone", right? That only works on new models that don't have capacity navigation buttons. It would be nice if m$ adds something similar to older phones as well.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't have the double tap to sleep option. I have an AT&T Lumia 820 w/ Cyan firmware, Win 10 Insider 420. Does this feature require the Denim Firmware?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett