outlook email: brain-dead? adding contacts to the "to" field

karhill

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I'm using Windows 10 mobile, build 10581. I'm using Outlook mail to compose email (I assume this is the default email client on Windows 10 mobile).

I'm trying to add addresses to the "to" field (pretty basic, huh?). But there appears to be no way to search my contacts or to directly add email addresses from my contacts. The only thing I can do is to directly type-in email address. No picking from a contacts list, no searching for a contact with the name "fred" in it. Nothing.

Is this just me, or is the software completely brain-dead?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on build 10572. (Unable to update yet to 10581 due to a few errors and lack of Wi-Fi.)

My only work-around so far has been to start with my People app, and select a contacts email from there to open the email app. Unfortunately, it leaves me to being able to send only to one recipient at a time.

I'm not sure what the solution is at this point. Would love a good work-around on this myself. I recommend you report the issue to Microsoft.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Confirmed. The feature you're looking for is called autopopulate or autocomplete. It's usually a learning algorithm that learns as you use email addresses. Some email clients are smart and will autopopulate out the gate.

However, even after using an sample email address in Outlook Mail Mobile, it does not memorize the email used. Sad. Time to send feedback.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Apparently, this issue is STILL NOT FIXED in build 10586.63!!! This is ridiculous! Time to find another email client until MSFT figures out how to enable this critical feature. I have posted Feedback for this and urge others to do the same as soon as possible. Lacking such a basic email feature as this is a true embarrassment. By the way, this problem is also in the Calendar application as well.

-Lumia 950 build 10586.63

kvslab

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem on my Verizon Lumia 735. I was using backup assistant plus for my contacts along with Outlook.com. The email could find the outlook contacts,but not the backup assistant ones. I had to convert all the contacts over to Outlook.com. Now it finds all my contacts in the To field. I am on .63 build.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
I too am on .63 and have no problems with auto populate in outlook. I type a letter and get a list of contacts that start with that letter. It then adds a semi colon and will populate another contact list with the typing of another letter.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Strange. This works fine for me on my 950XL running .63.

In the "to" box, I can start typing, pause, delete, type again without Outlook interfering. It's only when I tap on a contact that it gets added and the name turns blue.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Worked on my 1020. And works on this Android device I'm using as well.
All my email contacts are saved to my outlook account (people).
Have you tried syncing your contacts? Or looking into "my account" settings? Both in app settings and general settings.
Maybe try to remove the account/mail app and reinstall?
Worst case scenario a hard reset with a clean install (no using backups). Truthfully I've never had this issue even from emailing from windows phone 7 and up.

Robbie Hall - Thanks button when I help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720