10581 with nokia 1020 - battery life still pretty poor?

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
IV been getting horrible battery life on my 1020 with the new build. And I've tried EVERYTHING!! Disabled everything possible, hard reset this updated that. I've come the conclusion that its somthing with the device... Idk though...

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 is usually down to about 40-45% battery after 14 to 16 hours. I don't really use it much for calls most of the time, but am always looking at emails or news or glancing through start screen tiles. It's been pretty consistent with 10581, though it took a day or two after the initial install to get there. And it was absolutely necessary to apply the "Insider Fast Configuration Update" which comes up under Phone Update after installing 10581. I had reverted to 8.1 via the recovery tool, run through the updates from there, the installed the Insider app and upgraded to 10581 from there.

There's flakiness with email. To the point it does get somewhat aggravating, between it crashing or having to kill and restart it because it stops letting me open certain threads.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
SMH... anyway 10:1 ratio of bad battery life to good. Thats the last im posting about this topic. I know what my phone is running, I know what apps are disabled, I know my battery life is garbage, I KNOW im not alone. So if a 10:1 will make windows phone succeed.... Its a phone, it shouldnt be that complicated to get decent battery life. Saying its users causing the bad battery, when its an EASY 10:1 good life to bad, thats like crApple telling people they are holding their phone wrong. Im not a doom and gloomer, i LOVE my windows phone. But, the track we are headed down isnt good at the moment. The battery life IS horrible, regardless of a few exceptions. I have EVERY SINGLE app that CAN be disabled in the background disabled... and we shouldnt have to settle for that. Someone please explain why my phone wont last an entire day? As for use, Im talking little to no use since its a secondary phone. Its ridiculous that some here are accepting of 40% battery after 14hrs of NON USE. That is insane. And AGAIN, 2 month old brand new Nokia battery that was properly conditioned. Better yet, heres an assignment: If you are running the current build on a 1020; list every app you have and its background status. Perhaps its a rogue app many of us have thats causing the issue.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
After a few days, I have to say that battery life isn't as I expected. After 15 minutes of browsing using 2G network, battery drops 15%. I used UC browser and whatsapp and email. Only these 3 apps and battery went down 1% per minute on 2G network.

When I was 8.1 or 10512, this wouldn't happen that fast. Back then it was more like 1% every 5 minutes. I would be able to check whatsapp, use UC browser, check email, take a few photos, check instagram and by the end of the day still have 55-75%. But not now.

So I'm waiting for the next build to improve things

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Better yet, heres an assignment: If you are running the current build on a 1020; list every app you have and its background status. Perhaps its a rogue app many of us have thats causing the issue.

Better yet, you list your apps battery usage. You have the problem, tell us what app is causing it.

Does noone care enough to actually look at their app battery usage breakdown? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

With the exception of the OP who seems to have encountered a bug with outlook mail/calendar using 70% of his battery the rest is all anecdotal. Please help us help you. If people provide actionable information that an app is using excessive battery we might get actual fixes. Complaints like 'battery draining' doesn't really get us anywhere.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
UC Navigation (which I guess is UC Browser) 46.7%
Whatsapp 23.7%
Microsoft photos 5.9%
Start 4.3%
Settings 4%
Mail and calendar 2.4%

At the top, it's written
System 39%
Display 52.5%
Wifi 0%
Mobile data 8.5%

So I guess if I don't use internet I can get 2-3 days. But I used to use the same apps on 8.1 and I was able to get 1-2 days usage. So what changed?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
UC Navigation (which I guess is UC Browser) 46.7%
Whatsapp 23.7%
Microsoft photos 5.9%
Start 4.3%
Settings 4%
Mail and calendar 2.4%

At the top, it's written
System 39%
Display 52.5%
Wifi 0%
Mobile data 8.5%

So I guess if I don't use internet I can get 2-3 days. But I used to use the same apps on 8.1 and I was able to get 1-2 days usage. So what changed?

the OS is not finished yet. that is what changed

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've always felt that the way the os works with cellular has been a problem. My phone would get very hot when I was on 3G network and I would downgrade to 2G for whatsapp and email. cellular data receiving and sending needs to be made more efficient.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I can't really judge Windows 10's battery live because my phone is over two years old and the battery live was bad also on Windows 8.1 as soon as mobile data is activated.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I noticed in forums all 1020 suffer battery draining, so I checked the tecs and I read 4.5" AMOLED display and a 2000 mah battery!!!! Same battery of my little 520 with a common 4" IPS display. It's too much little for such a device! It's obvious it could be more stressed in Win10

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
So in my case.. the biggest offender of background usage was my mail app.. 63%.. everything else is 5% or less..
(i use gmail/exchange and have about 10 folders synced on each with default settings)..

Just for kicks (and yes you should never have to disable features to make phones more acceptable on battery life, especially core ones)..

I turned off mail as a background app..

Did my standard test i've done before (before about 7.33% per hour drain with phone not touched at all, which is a bit insane)..

This time it came out to 8.57%, a little worse than previously.

And again, just for fun, i'm now doing another test with airplane mode on to see how it goes.

If with airplane mode i get the same drain, then i'll just chalk it up to hardware being 2 years old (i guess?).

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Airplane mode was a drain of 3.75% an hour.. and in summary.. turning off mail was 8.57% per hour.. and leaving mail on (with 63% usage in battery saver) was 7.33% per hour.. this with not touching the phone.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The battery problem with the 1020 is the physical size limitations of the battery, period.

Nokia could have fixed this problem and got rid of the big hump on the back, by putting a bigger battery in there in the first place.

An important tip regarding battery life measurements: Wait a few days until all the updating, app-reinstalling, background resyncing and other post-install stuff has settled down. If you're complaining about worse battery life than before upgrading, and it's only been a few hours or so since you did it, your complaint is invalid.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Your phone is 2 years old. Maybe it's just the battery showing it's age are all those recharges. Replace the battery

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The battery problem with the 1020 is the physical size limitations of the battery, period.

Nokia could have fixed this problem and got rid of the big hump on the back, by putting a bigger battery in there in the first place.

An important tip regarding battery life measurements: Wait a few days until all the updating, app-reinstalling, background resyncing and other post-install stuff has settled down. If you're complaining about worse battery life than before upgrading, and it's only been a few hours or so since you did it, your complaint is invalid.

I did wait a few days before checking and measuring battery life. It's definitely the internet that uses a lot of my battery

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Glad to see some real life results. Turning mail off INCREASED battery use, ya... My phone can't sit an entire day(not 24hr, 16-18hr), unused, without dying.

Last 24:
messaging + skype 37%(received 2 texts to that line all day),
Windows defaul...(?) 13.6%,
store 10.6(not set to auto update and never opened it),
Amex mobile 7.7(never opened it), mail and calendar 7,
settings 5,
words with friends 4.9,
start 4.4,
Facebook beta 1.6
The weather channel 1.5(my phone was blown up by severe weather alerts, at least 20, through the day. Live in central TX.

So there's my homework... Anyone got an answer? Better yet, I'll post again tomorrow when it's a whole different set of apps causing the drain. But of corse "it's not finished". LOL 10586 will be rolled out for public consumption though. Yippie here comes some great press. And again BRAND NEW BATTERY FROM NOKIA. The hardware isn't that sub par either you guys. 10:1

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
even more confusing then.. what is it using the GPU for?

Grapich Processing Unit, same as CPU. Every Lumia as a processor (Qualcomm Snapdragon) in different version according to model. Every Processor has more units inside: the CPU , the memory control, the communication control and the gpu Adreno (the same of a video card in a pc / laptop)

So, System says the CPU battery usage for main system core, and GPU says the video subsystem battery usage (video rendering, graphics drawing, visual effects, transition, AntiAliasing ecc.ecc., as- the very first smartphone even produced - But you can see the 2 usages separatelly now)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss