Slow Motion video function finally arrives!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Been waiting for this for a long time. Finally we have it!

If you set the speed to slowest, then you can't change the duration of the slow-mo effect.
If you set it to slow or slower (the first two steps) then you will get 2 handles that allow you to change the duration.
While on the slowest, it will make an extreme slowdown for around 0.5 seconds before the mark, and from there continue at normal speed.
My suggestion is that you leave the video unedited, and edit it on your PC. That is, if you want to make some good videos.
Thanks. this is good to point out as the editing screen has the speed set at the slowest (the turtle) by default.

Care to share what you use to edit these slow motion vids on your PC with?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
What is missing still after today's update? There is now nothing in Lumia Camera that I can't do in Microsoft Camera as of today's update. Am I missing something?
So far, the only thing that Microsoft Camera doesn't have that I can see, is in the video recording settings. Lumia Camera has options for the audio recording (surround sound recording) where Microsoft Camera doesn't have these settings (yet)

Dan said:
Mine started doing this yesterday, even before the new camera update. Less than 24 hours ago, really. Even after restarting the phone, it won't load any longer. Must have been a "timer" kill switch in the last update to Lumia Camera or something. I can't see that really being done, but it won't load on my phone at all now. Glad it still works on yours, Ed.
Yup, still working fine here on my 1520.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
So far, the only thing that Microsoft Camera doesn't have that I can see, is in the video recording settings. Lumia Camera has options for the audio recording (surround sound recording) where Microsoft Camera doesn't have these settings (yet)

So, I can't shoot my own 4K Movie in surround sound? What, I have to settle for stereo or mono? That's a deal breaker right there. I'm going back to my Sony FDR-AX1 camera then. (No, I don't have one of those, but if one of you people want to buy me one, I'll give you my address.)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sample videos anyone, pretty please? :) I am now more tempted to change my Lumia 830 for Lumia 1520 or 930. For me there is no reason to get Lumia 950 now. All I wanted is slow motion.

Here's a quick one I did of our dog Cody running down our hallway.

*edited on phone, uploaded to YT via PC*

So let's be honest here... Yes, it's great that we finally have slow motion capability on our phones, but if you've seen the 240fps slow motion on the newer iPhones, these 120fps slo mos leave much to be desired. Like I mentioned above, hopefully, this will evolve with the newer hardware, and we'll eventually be able to produce/record 240fps or more with outstanding results.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Care to share what you use to edit these slow motion vids on your PC with?
Haha, well, I actually don't, but I just said that for someone that wants to edit them. The thing I wanted the most is normal 120 fps video, which I can then play at different speed (you can do this on many media-player apps, I use VLC).
One thing I used it for is slowing down a video of me doing a front flip, and then looking at the posture mistakes I make, trying to understand and fix them.

I've been using both apps on my 1520, and honestly can't tell the difference. I get stellar results with either one.
IDK for you, but there's a noticeable difference in quality of the pictures for me. The functionc that the app itself provides are the same, even better with slow-mo now, however the quality is lower I think. Most of my pictures are really noisy/grainy.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
What is missing still after today's update? There is now nothing in Lumia Camera that I can't do in Microsoft Camera as of today's update. Am I missing something?

Microsoft camera still takes poor pictures on my lumia 1020.

Image taken with lumia camera -10-15MB in size
Image taken with MS camera - 3-4MB

MS camera pictures are still low quality. There's no action shot feature
Refocus and cinemagraph stopped working as was advertised but no replacement has come

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft camera still takes poor pictures on my lumia 1020.

Image taken with lumia camera -10-15MB in size
Image taken with MS camera - 3-4MB

MS camera pictures are still low quality. There's no action shot feature
Refocus and cinemagraph stopped working as was advertised but no replacement has come

Check your image settings and make sure you have the correct MP resolution set. Microsoft had already stated they were working on an update for Microsoft Camera to support the full 41MP. I'm not sure if it has been released yet or not, so check your settings and see. If you can't get full 41MP yet, it will be coming.

No action shot feature? Ah... You're looking for a set of "preconfigured" settings that allow for "Portrait Mode", "Action Shot", "Night Shot", etc. These are configurable manually for each shot, but that is a pain. Have you submitted this as a suggestion to Microsoft yet? That's what the Insider program is all about, you know.

As far as Refocus and Cinemagraph go, Microsoft stated they were being discontinued, not "remade." Don't expect a replacement except from a 3rd party, if a 3rd party developer decides to do it.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I hope slow mo will also arrive for 1320 pls.

It needs the hardware to do it. If it was coming to any lower end device, it'd be the PureView Lumia 830 (I'd definitely enjoy that) but Microsoft is being smart and not bringing a really low quality slow motion feature to a device that can barely handle it. Better to have it be higher quality and be exclusive to more powerful hardware.
Hopefully the Lumia 950 and 950 XL will be able to do it a full HD and the 950 XL should be able to do it at 240fps.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Check your image settings and make sure you have the correct MP resolution set. Microsoft had already stated they were working on an update for Microsoft Camera to support the full 41MP. I'm not sure if it has been released yet or not, so check your settings and see. If you can't get full 41MP yet, it will be coming.

No action shot feature? Ah... You're looking for a set of "preconfigured" settings that allow for "Portrait Mode", "Action Shot", "Night Shot", etc. These are configurable manually for each shot, but that is a pain. Have you submitted this as a suggestion to Microsoft yet? That's what the Insider program is all about, you know.

As far as Refocus and Cinemagraph go, Microsoft stated they were being discontinued, not "remade." Don't expect a replacement except from a 3rd party, if a 3rd party developer decides to do it.

I've checked, there's no setting for changing image resolution settings. The pixel is correct but the image is poor in quality. So you're right in saying that the update hasn't come for lumia 1020 yet

By action shot I meant smart sequence, the feature where a burst of photos are taken and after which you can get certain effects out of it such as motion blur, change faces, etc

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I've checked, there's no setting for changing image resolution settings. The pixel is correct but the image is poor in quality. So you're right in saying that the update hasn't come for lumia 1020 yet

By action shot I meant smart sequence, the feature where a burst of photos are taken and after which you can get certain effects out of it such as motion blur, change faces, etc

You're right. Resolution settings aren't there yet. Definitely needs implementing.

If you want the "action shot", then go into "settings", and use the drop down for "Press and hold camera button" and select "Photo burst." That's the closest thing you're going to get at this point.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
IDK for you, but there's a noticeable difference in quality of the pictures for me. The functionc that the app itself provides are the same, even better with slow-mo now, however the quality is lower I think. Most of my pictures are really noisy/grainy.

And you've gone into the respective app's settings, and made sure the settings for the captured image size match?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This thread may have strayed off the Slow Motion topic, but that's alright with me, as we're still talking about the Microsoft Camera app in general...

I was just playing around with both app's settings on my 1520 and taking pics to compare when I noticed DNG (RAW) mode seems to be broken in Microsoft Camera at the moment. Evidently, the latest update, (or one of the latest updates) not only added the "Slow Motion feature", but seems to have broken other elements of the photo/imaging capability of Microsoft Camera. It seems that (on my 1520 anyway) all pics taken with Microsoft Camera at the moment are stuck at only being 1440x1080 resolution (@ 4:3), on the 19MP setting, but saves a 2592x1936 image while set at the 5MP setting... Like they've got it backwards! Weird!

So I take back what I said about the two apps earlier. Apparently, Microsoft Camera does have a lot of catching up to do!

I'm just happy that Lumia Camera 5 still works great on my 1520 in the meantime!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Meanwhile a poor dual core iphone is capable of 240fps...and WP would need octa core phone?

That dual core processor you're talking about is actually very powerful and is extremely optimized with Apple's software. Something Microsoft wouldn't be able to do unless they made their own processors. You talk about the number of cores like it's actually important. The point of eight cores is not for power, it's for efficiency. Only four of the 810's cores are used at a time and with Apple's software optimizations and a processor built exactly to Apple's specifications they have no problem keeping up with Qualcomm and Samsung. The quad-core Snapdragon 400 is nowhere near as powerful as Apple's A9 dual-core, and there's no denying that.

Besides, as far as I know, the Snapdragon 808 is only capable of 120 FPS. The Snapdragon 810 is the only Qualcomm that can do slow motion at 240 FPS. This being why the Nexus 6P has 240 FPS slow motion and the Nexus 5X only has 120 FPS.

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
This thread may have strayed off the Slow Motion topic, but that's alright with me, as we're still talking about the Microsoft Camera app in general...

I was just playing around with both app's settings on my 1520 and taking pics to compare when I noticed DNG (RAW) mode seems to be broken in Microsoft Camera at the moment. Evidently, the latest update, (or one of the latest updates) not only added the "Slow Motion feature", but seems to have broken other elements of the photo/imaging capability of Microsoft Camera. It seems that (on my 1520 anyway) all pics taken with Microsoft Camera at the moment are stuck at only being 1440x1080 resolution (@ 4:3), on the 19MP setting, but saves a 2592x1936 image while set at the 5MP setting... Like they've got it backwards! Weird!

So I take back what I said about the two apps earlier. Apparently, Microsoft Camera does have a lot of catching up to do!

I'm just happy that Lumia Camera 5 still works great on my 1520 in the meantime!

Yeah I hope Microsoft figures out their camera and fast because they've really been selling the cameras on the Lumia 950's (with good reason too). I want these phones to succeed and they're not going to if one of their most talked about features doesn't work as advertised.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Meanwhile a poor dual core iphone is capable of 240fps...and WP would need octa core phone?

That comparison is almost completely meaningless.

The Lumia 630 had a processor that is quad-core, my laptop is dual-core. Gee, the phone must be more powerful!

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. I hope with the new 950/950XL (and later) phones, we'll be able to record 240fps or more to compete with the iPhones. 120fps is a start.

You need a mobile chip that is as powerful as the A9 to do 240fps@720p. Also the iPhone 6S can do 1080p@120fps. Simply a beastly processor.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone chip destroys the top end Qualcomm in single-core performance.

Do iPhone's destroy Qualcomm equipped phones in x?

Where x is a given activity, whether calculating pi, launching facebook, etc. There's a lot of factors going into end-use performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05