We need your number - group chat?

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
After upgrading to latest insiders build I always get asked to sign in my number:

To get group chat, read notifications and other Chat features, you'll need to tell us your phone number.

What is this all about, I cant find any more info about this features and what it does?

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Its in the SMS app, thou I believe they were merged? If I open Conversations its there. then if I go under messaging and settings there are new input options for Chat (and old ones are SMS/MMS), it also says "we need your phone number so we can set up chat."

I guess this is skype related then? but why would it need my phone number?

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Okay. May be your number is not registered with Skype and it is asking number to register with the skype services as wm10 uses skype for group messaging.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I am going to disable it then.

But how does it work, I wonder, as skype uses servers to communicate why would it need my phone number? I mean...my past experience from skype (when it replaced MSN messanger) was always without phone number, what changed in this version?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I am going to disable it then.

But how does it work, I wonder, as skype uses servers to communicate why would it need my phone number? I mean...my past experience from skype (when it replaced MSN messanger) was always without phone number, what changed in this version?

I din't put any number, I disabled everything, inlcluding sync. Works like a charm as before that unuseful merge. They ask for number I guess as same as Skype app for desktop,to redirect via sms when unconnected, only if you want it.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
According to me this has NOTHING to do with Skype :

a) on my 640 single SIM LTE : I have the conversation/chat 3 option sliders, but not that field "we need your phone number"
b) on my 535 DS : I have the option only for my "main" SIM, the one used for data connection. Again : no field for phone number
c) According to reports on this forum, the chat mode enables a new kind of receipt, tagging messages as "delivered". And this, for NON skype messages. Look here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-finally-have-decent-sms-delivery-report.html

Then, I don't understand why the phone number field appears on some device and not others, or even, why conversation/chat mode is on some devices and not others. Maybe we'll know more with the next build.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo