Windows 10 nearly here (but still not on slow ring for 930??)

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
So the 930 is on the list for the first batch of devices to get Windows 10 in December. December is only 2 weeks away though, so we're talking 5 or maybe 6 weeks till launch at the most.

How can it be that close to being ready for the public when it's still not ready for even the slow ring on the 930? Or are they going to go straight from fast ring to public? Wouldn't make sense to me?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
December is two weeks from now, not ago.

It's most likely that those in Slow Ring will get Windows 10 Mobile when it gets announced... since Windows 10 Mobile build 10581 (supposedly just one version away from RTM (build 10586)) has been available for those in Fast Ring for some time now. It still sounds logical to me - build 10581 has issues in phones that use an SD Card, so this is most likely the reason why it's not released in the Slow Ring. Slow ring users generally get more stable builds, and the RTM (or build 10586 supposedly) should be more stable than build 10581 (although 10581 is already stable for non-SD card phones). However, if you want to get build 10581 now, then move up to Fast Ring.

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Noticed the typo and edited just before you replied :p

Ahh, I see. So you're saying when RTM is released, the slow ring will likely go from 8.1 to 10 too, but get a newer build than the public gets.

Seems odd that the slow ring wouldn't be currently testing the build that will go live in December though?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Ahh, I see. So you're saying when RTM is released, the slow ring will likely go from 8.1 to 10 too, but get a newer build than the public gets.

Seems odd that the slow ring wouldn't be currently testing the build that will go live in December though?

On my opinion, slow ring is totally forgotten and useless since 10166 (unsable); every news will sent only on fast, RC or RTM included

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, yes I'm saying that those in Slow Ring will get W10M when it is released, but I'm not saying they will be ahead of the rest of the public (using eligible devices listed elsewhere). In effect, Slow Ring may not be different at all from the "regular user" in terms of access to new builds; at the very least, those in Slow Ring are one step ahead of the "regular user" in being able to simply move up to "Fast Ring" from the app (where the regular user would have to download the app, register, etc...).

It's a bit odd, but I think it's just right, especially considering the problems with phones with SD Cards in build 10581. This major bug could be preventing them to release it to Slow Ring, since Slow Ring users generally receive more stable builds even if 10581 is already "stable".

But these are just my opinions. Actual facts and decisions made by Microsoft may vary. :wink:

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
So one more question.. If I change to fast ring and download 10581 now, then change back to slow ring, will my phone remain on 10581? And do you think I will get a slow ring Windows 10 build update in December as well?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Again, in theory, yes - I believe the following article may be useful for you: How to stop getting Insider Builds in Windows 10 Mobile

For your second question, as found in one of the references in this thread, OTA updates for the Lumia 930 (along with other "newer" devices) has been speculated to start by the end of December 2015. But here's three things: that's just a speculation, the timing depends on your region and that's with the presumption that those in Slow Ring will get the "Official" build together with the "regular non-Insider".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss