Lumia Camera officially dead - Latest Lumia Camera update decomissions itself

Anamnesis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
OK, I can confirm that Lumia Camera still works on the Lumia 1020 using Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586 - at least it does if it was already installed. I am just now resetting the phone to a clean install of the same build and will report back once that has completed....

Anamnesis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Now I can confirm that a clean install of Build 10586 on the Lumia 1020 removes Lumia Camera and it cannot be installed from the store. ("This app has been blocked due to Company Policy")

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Now I can confirm that a clean install of Build 10586 on the Lumia 1020 removes Lumia Camera and it cannot be installed from the store. ("This app has been blocked due to Company Policy")

Well.. looks like they are using all their power to block the Lumia Camera.... Now it's getting really hard to do a comparison between Lumia Camera and Windows Camera......

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why they didn't just rename Lumia camera & call it a day. Just like they screwed up the perfectly fine music app by re- writing it, that app still has issues. I swear they can't get out of their own way sometimes....

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for the info, this should help. I guess my upgrade path will be direct with no hard resets

Anamnesis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
OK, I restored Windows 8.1 to my 1020 using the Windows Phone Recovery app (oddly support for the Nokia Lumia 1020 is not the Nokia Phone Recovery app), then reinstalled Build 10586 to it (Upgrade path). Lumia Camera definitely stays on the phone doing this, but in the store you will see that it says that it is not compatible with your device. I also noticed that Lumia Creative Studio does not carry across and cannot be installed (again, not compatible) which is annoying me a bit!

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I wish Lumia Camera would come back to save me from the nightmare that is Windows Camera.

Staring at "adding the finishing touches" all the time is driving me insane.

Anamnesis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Contrary to my last post.... there is in fact a new Lumia Creative Studio for Windows 10, but it is currently in Beta (6.6)

It seems Microsoft have two versions of things going on with the camera software on Windows 10 Mobile presently. Microsoft Camera and its 'Lumia' branded counterparts seem to conflict on newer phones if installed together (Lumia Moments prevents Microsoft Camera from performing Rich Capture for example). I have also noticed that Lumia Camera seems to have issues loading the preview of shots taken and forces you to exit and view the photos in the photo app on the 1020 (although it seems there may be an update to the Photos app today that fixes this). I am really not sure what they are planning on doing with all of these variations. My list of apps that are installed on my phone, but claimed by the store to be unsupported on my device grows everytime I reboot the thing!!

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I did a quick comparison between Lumia Camera and Windows Camera on the 1020 (WP8.1 vs W10M). Basically Windows Camera compress a lot the images, resolution is ok but files are about 5-6 MB instead of 10-11 MB in the 16:9 mode.

I haven't had a chance to do it in a 920.

That's what's super wrong for me.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I did a quick comparison between Lumia Camera and Windows Camera on the 1020 (WP8.1 vs W10M). Basically Windows Camera compress a lot the images, resolution is ok but files are about 5-6 MB instead of 10-11 MB in the 16:9 mode.

I haven't had a chance to do it in a 920.

That's what's super wrong for me.

The image processing algorithms are completely different in the new Windows Camera app, compared to the old Lumia Camera app. Similar changes were also introduced in the Lumia Camera 5 update that went out to the 830, 930, 640 and 640xl.

Basically the processing now concentrates on creating a highly contrasted image, with more sharpening, more noise reduction, and higher compression. Which unfortunately almost always results in an image that looks significantly worse than one taken in the old Lumia Camera app.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
On my 520, first two Windows Camera updates gave me video stabilization.... then they removed it. I'm disappointend, it worked as a charm. Upvote feedback

fjordstrom

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
The videos I record on my Lumia 920 / 10586 have NO AUDIO
Anyone else has that issue with the Camera app? :-/

SAME PROBLEM on Lumia 930! But it seems not everyone with our devices have this problem :/
I already tried resetting, even going to slow ring after going back to 8.1 and yeah: Lumia Camera DID record sound, while Microsoft Camera doesn't. Now Lumia Camera is disabled, I can't film with sound.
I really hope this gets resolved, it's the only problem I have with the app.
I already sent feedback (and posted a topic about this) a month ago, two builds ago.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh... I just read the review for the 950 at PC world. The reviewer praises the camera, but complains about Rich Capture "finishing touches" failing occasionally.

I would have thought that Windows Camera would have been developed with the 950 and 950 XL in mind, but clearly the new handsets are suffering with the same issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720