How to edit Windows Maps

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been wondering on this for sometime

Last year I was involved a regional Here maps competition and I made over 18500 edits to Here maps In Kenya in less than 2 months.

I've been wanting to edit maps for some time now and I wondered if the new maps for Windows 10 has the same database as Here maps or is there a different one. Therefore, do I resume editing in Here maps using Here maps creator or is there a new site?

Thank you

elwin lobo

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
The new Bing maps preview that you can access from the browser has a feature where you report incorrect data... Not sure about the apps though

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
For anyone wondering on this, if you used to edit Here maps, you can still do so. MS maps uses Here data so any changes we make will be reflected in both Here maps and MS maps

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure how to even edit a Map...

Color me clueless.

It's not that complicated. There are two editors I've used so far, Google maps and Here maps.

The google maps is more complicated because it has a lot more fields and options to fill in. For example, adding a new business onto the map means you need to know the name, the type of business, opening hours, location, payment options, which floor if applicable, contact details like phone, email and website and other details besides. You don't have to add all of them but the more details you add, the better. There are tutorials online for editing google maps - anyone can edit but there are moderators who approve edits so that a random person doesn't mess up the system

With Here maps you have to be given an invite to edit their maps (that's how I got in) and you're given access to here maps creator. It's more simplified with fewer fields and options but that makes it easier and faster to use. Whereas I could possibly add 200 places in a day in Google maps I could do more than 500 on Here maps. The editing of roads is also easier and faster on Here maps as opposed to google maps.

If you're interested, I can add more info

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If you're interested, I can add more info

I think it's interesting to know more, but not sure if I would be willing to do a lot of time fix it.

What I have been doing is suggesting fixes to placemarks of things I know are in the wrong spot. Like the address details are ok but placemark is wrong... well even if any information they have happen to be wrong.

On desktop web browser for bing maps, there's a tiny suggest an edit at the bottom left corner and I actually get emails back when they acknowledge it and fix it.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I think it's interesting to know more, but not sure if I would be willing to do a lot of time fix it.

What I have been doing is suggesting fixes to placemarks of things I know are in the wrong spot. Like the address details are ok but placemark is wrong... well even if any information they have happen to be wrong.

On desktop web browser for bing maps, there's a tiny suggest an edit at the bottom left corner and I actually get emails back when they acknowledge it and fix it.

that's a quick solution and quite good, I wasn't aware of it. I guess here maps editing or Google maps editing is for those who have a lot of edits to make, like hundreds or thousands - quite useful in developing nations where businesses spring up ever day

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just wish it was faster way to do it right in windows maps on phone cause that's usually when I notice the issue. Like I'm right here at the place now! Not where ever maps thinks it is :)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I just wish it was faster way to do it right in windows maps on phone cause that's usually when I notice the issue. Like I'm right here at the place now! Not where ever maps thinks it is :)

I've been meaning to develop an app that can help in editing maps :smile: but the problem is I don't know how to program :grincry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos