Skype/messaging high usage on latest mobile build?

Skulls138

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I finally have a good clean hard reset running, but I noticed my battery life is draining slightly due to the messaging app. 56% in use, and 44% in background. I thought the background was a little high, and it seems to be rising. Is this a common issue? Any workaround? Thanks!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The data in the Battery Saver needs to be interpreted carefully. Notice that 56% and 44% add up to 100% - certainly your Messaging app wasn't the only one that is running for it to consume 100% of the battery power. Rather, those two values must be interpreted in conjunction with the summary of app usages under the main Battery Use page.

For example, in my phone, the summary of app usages (the long list with different apps) tells me that my Messaging + Skype has used 11.1%. Tapping on "details" brings me to a page where it says "In use: 41.9%" and "Background:58.1%". This means that this particular app used 41.9% of the 11.1% while it was active, and the remaining 58.1% of the 11.1% in the background. Notice how these two values also add up to 100%.

Skulls138

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the response! Currently, the messaging app is using 62% of my battery. That's high, compared to the next option which is the store at 10%.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
You mentioned you did a hard reset... how soon ago was it? I would guess that messaging would have high usage first day or so, especially in background, to sync up the messages.

In general, the first day or so of a hard reset takes more battery than usual.

Other than that I'm not sure. My messaging is sitting a 23% overall battery almost all in usage, no background.

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I finally have a good clean hard reset running, but I noticed my battery life is draining slightly due to the messaging app. 56% in use, and 44% in background. I thought the background was a little high, and it seems to be rising. Is this a common issue? Any workaround? Thanks!

The number you got there look legit...

However, to determine the actual battery burner, you should look at the overview, which is the first screen showing all the apps... And if the messaging app show up consuming a 2 digits percentage overall, that could be alarming...

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Sounds about right to me. Messaging has been eating my battery since I started using wm10. It has consistently been close to 50%!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the response! Currently, the messaging app is using 62% of my battery. That's high, compared to the next option which is the store at 10%.

That IS high - mine is just at 13.6%. Do you receive a lot of messages? SMS? Skype messages?

But again, that 62% must be interpreted correctly. That means that the app contributed 62% of consumption out of the total battery power consumed for the indicated period. So, if the battery was drained to 50% from 100%, then the app only used 31% of the battery (not 62%). Your statement will be true if your battery was completely used up from 100% to 0%.

Skulls138

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
That IS high - mine is just at 13.6%. Do you receive a lot of messages? SMS? Skype messages?

But again, that 62% must be interpreted correctly. That means that the app contributed 62% of consumption out of the total battery power consumed for the indicated period. So, if the battery was drained to 50% from 100%, then the app only used 31% of the battery (not 62%). Your statement will be true if your battery was completely used up from 100% to 0%.

I normally don't text a whole lot. It seems to be a little better now that I turned off message syncing. Thank you for the correction!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I normally don't text a whole lot. It seems to be a little better now that I turned off message syncing. Thank you for the correction!

Looks like that was the cause after all, though it still doesn't make complete sense since most of the message syncing should happen in the background, so it won't be a 56%:44% ratio.

Anyway, glad to know you've found a solution - and you're welcome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans