Issues while connecting to PC

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
So i haven't tried to connect my 640 to a PC for a while, mostly 'cause i had no reason to. So today when i wanted to transfer some music to it, i pluged it in, and what i get?
This
uVSzyNk.png

I transfered some music and ringtones to my Lumia succesfuly months ago, and haven't tried since (back then it was on 8.1), now that i'm on the last build, well, it doesn't work. I tried installing and replacing drivers, deleted every single one from Device Manager so that PC could get them automaticlly, that too didn't help.
I'm desperate for solution, not 'cause i need it to work that badly, but 'cause it started eating me alive. Anyone with an idea i haven't tried, i'd be more than glad to hear your voice.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
did you check with other usb ports? make sure the cable is attached properly

Checked all five of them. Other than this message i got another one saying that my device was disconnected, while it wasn't, and the phone itself was giving me that charging icon in the top right corner. And if i try to plug my mouse in the same port (to check if it's working again), well it all works like a charm. So ports are ok.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Checked all five of them. Other than this message i got another one saying that my device was disconnected, while it wasn't, and the phone itself was giving me that charging icon in the top right corner. And if i try to plug my mouse in the same port (to check if it's working again), well it all works like a charm. So ports are ok.

With phone plugged, go to pc device manager and uninstall all Nokia related devices (usb, com, ecc).
Unplug and restart pc
Plug your Lumia and wait till new drivers are downloaded and installed on your pc

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
With phone plugged, go to pc device manager and uninstall all Nokia related devices (usb, com, ecc).
Unplug and restart pc
Plug your Lumia and wait till new drivers are downloaded and installed on your pc

This is all there is
N3AqpSL.png

And there's nothing under the portable devices.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Maybe i should mention that my Lumia 535, which is still on the 8.1, connects to my PC with no issues or whatsoever. That's the reason i assumed it was the preview's fault.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Did by chance you do a hard reset on the prior W10M build? (10581 I think.) If so that corrupted your file system on the phone, and they only way to get it fully working again is to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to put WP8.1 back on and the update it to 10586 again. (I just got done doing this with my 640 to resolve this problem.)

See doing a hard reset isn't always the best thing, as sometimes it causes real problems... :wink:

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Did by chance you do a hard reset on the prior W10M build? (10581 I think.) If so that corrupted your file system on the phone, and they only way to get it fully working again is to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to put WP8.1 back on and the update it to 10586 again. (I just got done doing this with my 640 to resolve this problem.)

See doing a hard reset isn't always the best thing, as sometimes it causes real problems... :wink:

Is that for real? Of course i did a hard reset, i do it every time. Then i suppose i'll have to wait and hope this will get fixed in future builds, 'cause i have to do a hard reset.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Is that for real? Of course i did a hard reset, i do it every time. Then i suppose i'll have to wait and hope this will get fixed in future builds, 'cause i have to do a hard reset.

I have only hard reset once, and it was on 10581 so I had this problem... I won't ever hard reset again unless it is absolutely necessary.

Yes, it is for real. From the 10586 release notes: After we released Build 10581 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring, we discovered a bug in the build that will cause the filesystem to become partially corrupted after doing a factory reset. For those of you who did a factory reset of your phone, you most likely did not notice this issue on Build 10581. Due to this bug however, upgrading to Build 10586 will cause your phone to go into a reboot loop after the upgrade completes – rebooting at the Windows or operator logo. To recover your phone, you can use the hardware key combination to reset your phone which will then put it at the OOBE experience on Build 10586. We highly recommend that you make sure you do a backup your phone *before* upgrading to Build 10586 due to this bug. Additionally, you can also recover your phone by using the Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 and then upgrade to Build 10586.

But it appears that a hard reset after the 10586 upgrade only partially fixes the problem. You have to use the WDRT to fully recover.

Why don't use just use the WDRT and fix it now? (I doubt a future build is going to fix the corruption, why would they waste time fixing that when it should never happen to non-Insiders? There are way more important things for them to fix.)

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have only hard reset once, and it was on 10581 so I had this problem... I won't ever hard reset again unless it is absolutely necessary.

Yes, it is for real. From the 10586 release notes: After we released Build 10581 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring, we discovered a bug in the build that will cause the filesystem to become partially corrupted after doing a factory reset. For those of you who did a factory reset of your phone, you most likely did not notice this issue on Build 10581. Due to this bug however, upgrading to Build 10586 will cause your phone to go into a reboot loop after the upgrade completes – rebooting at the Windows or operator logo. To recover your phone, you can use the hardware key combination to reset your phone which will then put it at the OOBE experience on Build 10586. We highly recommend that you make sure you do a backup your phone *before* upgrading to Build 10586 due to this bug. Additionally, you can also recover your phone by using the Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 and then upgrade to Build 10586.

But it appears that a hard reset after the 10586 upgrade only partially fixes the problem. You have to use the WDRT to fully recover.

Why don't use just use the WDRT and fix it now? (I doubt a future build is going to fix the corruption, why would they waste time fixing that when it should never happen to non-Insiders? There are way more important things for them to fix.)

I might do it somewhere in near future, i don't need it desperately right now, so i'm gonna wait.
But hey, thanks for the info.

rowlie

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
After last build I had to revert to 8.1 to fix connection to PC issue. After updating to .29 the issue has returned. My 930 is not recognised by PC.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If you upgrade to 10586.29 let us know if that fixes the problem or not. (I'm just curious.)

Looks like i won't be upgrading to 10586.29. Too many battery drain issue reports. I'm gonna stick to the build i have for now and wait for the next one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea