Working with "living images"

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I just upgraded to the W10m preview over the weekend and took some photos of a family gathering. Most of these pictures seem to be useless for printing or sharing with anyone without a Windows phone. I had the "Capture living images" option enabled without realizing it, so most of these appear to be blurry photos unless viewed with a Windows phone to see the brief animation of the living image.

I found a link online to Lumia Creative Studio Beta that says it can edit living images, but I don't see any other options that the normal Lumia Creative Studio app doesn't already have. The only thing that seems to specifically relate to living images is the option to remove animation. In that case, I'm just stuck with the blurry final frame. If the photo was taken with Rich Capture turned on, I have the option to choose the best lighting, but again, this only seems to apply to the final frame of the living image, which in many cases turned out blurry.

After realizing what was happening, I turned off the "living images" option going forward, but I was wondering if there is any way to salvage the previously taken photos or to extract some of the clearer frames from the living image.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I just upgraded to the W10m preview over the weekend and took some photos of a family gathering. Most of these pictures seem to be useless for printing or sharing with anyone without a Windows phone. I had the "Capture living images" option enabled without realizing it, so most of these appear to be blurry photos unless viewed with a Windows phone to see the brief animation of the living image.

I found a link online to Lumia Creative Studio Beta that says it can edit living images, but I don't see any other options that the normal Lumia Creative Studio app doesn't already have. The only thing that seems to specifically relate to living images is the option to remove animation. In that case, I'm just stuck with the blurry final frame. If the photo was taken with Rich Capture turned on, I have the option to choose the best lighting, but again, this only seems to apply to the final frame of the living image, which in many cases turned out blurry.

After realizing what was happening, I turned off the "living images" option going forward, but I was wondering if there is any way to salvage the previously taken photos or to extract some of the clearer frames from the living image.

Aren't they gif's??? Tried to edit them on pc?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Live images is basically "just" a gimmick which may add some "fun" if you view the pictures in the photo app.

It is a MP4 but in the phone it has an additional extension to make them "live" in the photo app. So no GIF

But it is a low resolution "video" so do not expect to extract "good" frames out off it.

If you want to view/watch the "moving images" on your PC , you will need to find the files that have a WP_date_.mp4.thm file name. Copy those files to your PC and then delete the .thm extension, leaving the .mp4 extension alone.

Or on your phone you can copy and rename them and the you should be able to open them with the photo app and "edit/extract" a picture.

But as already said the "live image" is not for extracting "better" frames.
If you want to do that it is better to make a few seconds long (4K) video and in this you can extract a frame in the photo app.

Hope this is helpful.

PS About blurry pictures with Rich Capture try to make them without this and see how they turn out.
Rich Capture should be fine if there is not too much movement in the scene where you want to make a picture off. But if there is a lot of movement you may end with blur pictures,

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I just discovered that Windows 10 Mobile adds a slightly more useful way to use Living Images.

Using the "Share" button in the Photo app, it now gives you the option to "Share as Photo" or "Share as Video". Sharing the photo sends the photo, sharing the video sends the living image animation as a video with a neat little end of zooming in on the photo. You can share through any service: email, text messaging, facebook, etc.

It's a neat little feature, though ulitmately useless since it will highly compress the video for SMS messages. It might be neat for Skype, Facebook, or something else, though. I'd really like to share it as a GIF. If they add that little bit to it, they'll have a killer feature. Also, they need to have OneDrive back up living images and make them available to all of your devices through the Photo app.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
You can also just rename the Living Image .JPG file to a .ZIP and open it and see all the files inside.

WP_20160121_17_25_19_Pro_LI.jpg --> WP_20160121_17_25_19_Pro_LI.zip

Inside you should see a folder called "formats" and a file called "[Content_Types].xml". Inside the "formats" is another folder called "living" which contains two files, "living.jpg" and "living.mp4". That's pretty much it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05