Having Core OS Function as Apps

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do see the benefit of Microsoft going the route of having core apps that have usually or normally built in functions of the OS or Phone itself. The Phone app for example: used to be baked into the OS but is an app. Same with Messaging app, and others. This to me makes sense: Microsoft can regularly update these apps without having to do an overall update to the OS. In other words, update some of the core things about an OS without having to update the overall OS.

The gripe I do have with this though is that it's not as fluid. An example of this is with the text messaging. I notice that on the live tile, it'll show I have text(s) and when I check and read the text, and I back out of the app, the live tile does not update or clear until a few beats after and then it clears showing that I read and checked my texts. This might just be the smoothness of the app but it still shows how the fragmentation of the app vs baked in core function of the OS. I guess that things will eventually tighten up and become more fluid with time and the apps are more mature with more updates.

What do you all think?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I am not so sure if this is not so fluid due to "Apps iso OS. But if it is then it is for me a small price to pay.

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I do see the benefit of Microsoft going the route of having core apps that have usually or normally built in functions of the OS or Phone itself. The Phone app for example: used to be baked into the OS but is an app. Same with Messaging app, and others. This to me makes sense: Microsoft can regularly update these apps without having to do an overall update to the OS. In other words, update some of the core things about an OS without having to update the overall OS.

Edge is still part of the OS I presume.... So far you can only receive an update through a new build....

The gripe I do have with this though is that it's not as fluid. An example of this is with the text messaging. I notice that on the live tile, it'll show I have text(s) and when I check and read the text, and I back out of the app, the live tile does not update or clear until a few beats after and then it clears showing that I read and checked my texts. This might just be the smoothness of the app but it still shows how the fragmentation of the app vs baked in core function of the OS. I guess that things will eventually tighten up and become more fluid with time and the apps are more mature with more updates.

Take a closer look, I believe it happens to the Mail app and Facebook as well... I would assume the mechanism to update the live tile had been changed since WP8... But honestly I found it's really hard to find information Win10 these days... Unlike the good old days there would be articles about how they worked so hard on improving the Operating System, with heaps of technical details and diagrams published on every techie magazines on the shelf... But it's not happening anymore, nowadays the marketing hype seems to have overtaken the nerdy reviews.....

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Again, I see the benefits of handling things this way. I just hope it is possible that the apps, through updates, will have a tighter and more fluid feeling to them as they integrate to the OS.

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Again, I see the benefits of handling things this way. I just hope it is possible that the apps, through updates, will have a tighter and more fluid feeling to them as they integrate to the OS.

Do you notice every time Microsoft releases a new OS, Intel will start marketing a new processor for a "better" experience?! I can see that phenomenon has started happening in the mobile world.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans