Is Windows 10 Mobile stable enough to upgrade my L640?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
is windows 10 mobile stable enough to upgrade my L640?

Ive waited for a long time until it is stable. I really want the update on my phone. Ive held on it because of bugs and more bugs. When is the official release of WIn 10 mobile? Or was it already rreleased along Lumia 950? My phone hasn't gotten any update though.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: is windows 10 mobile stable enough to upgrade my L640?

It has been officially released with the 950XL, the 950 and the 550 which should be available soon. It has not been released as an update for current devices yet though. And I doubt that's gonna happen before January.
WM10 still has its fair share of issues, but most of them are rather minor ones, definitely no real deal breakers anymore. So if you can't wait for the official update to hit your device, enroll in the insider program and get going. Should it turn out to be not working out for you, you can always roll back to WP8.1 using the Windows device recovery tool.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

I'm using the latest version via the insider program on my L930, it's pretty much rock solid. I've only had to reboot the phone twice so far due to Edge browser freezing. As always if you do decide to jump in on the insider program make sure you BACK UP your data first just in case.

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

Ive waited for a long time until it is stable. I really want the update on my phone. Ive held on it because of bugs and more bugs. When is the official release of WIn 10 mobile? Or was it already rreleased along Lumia 950? My phone hasn't gotten any update though.
Working perfectly on my 640 joined the insider program from build 10586.11 have not even restarted the phone once after that other than for some updates to some of the settings.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Different people have a different idea of what's "stable". Windows 10 Mobile is also a different operating system than 8.1, so there's some changes in the way things work (some things added, some things taken away, some bits still to be added/improved).

The only advice really is to give it a go, it's easy enough to go back to WP8.1 if you want to.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

OK, I have the 640 LTE dual sim. here is my experience. I'm lining out my 2 experiences so that you get a clear idea.

Experience 01 - BAD
I updated to windows 10 when build 10581 was out, what I did was upgrade, (install with all apps present and restore from backup).

good:
all my apps were there - no need to install

bad:
battery was draining within 3-4 hours even after all the updates were done via wifi.
phone crashing on apps, rebooting in the middle of things etc.

so I switched back to WP 8.1

Experience 02 - GOOD

updated the phone from WP 8.1 to WP 10 build 10586.29 last night. I let the install run and once the phone booted with the upgrade I went in and did a hard reset, sacrifysing all my apps and settings. Started to setup phone from scratch. that half an hour was worth it! phone updated almost 33 internal apps through app-store. did 2 - 3 reboots to install language packs etc.

Good:
phone runs buttery smooth.
everything works perfectly
no hiccups so far
for those who complain about missing quiet hours --> go to cortanas notebook and you will find it there.
no heating or fast battery drains, rock solid

Bad:
yet to experience any crash
theres no way to uninstall language packs - had to do another hard reset to get rid of an additional language pack I installed.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site

I've used w10m for a couple of months now on my 640 and it's been mostly good.I periodically went back to 8.1 after .11,but installed .29 last weekend.Ive had no issues with .29 and overall it's a much better experience than 8.1.

Battery life for me is at least as good,if not better than 8.1,although performance,speed and responsiveness is slightly less.

.29 is the build being released to the 950 and 550,and probably to the rest,so why wait.Get it as an insider first.

Just to note.The os is noticeably laggy when you first start installing apps.Give it some time to settle

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
My question now is if I reformat my win 10 Lumina 640 to pass it to a friend, will it go back to win 8.1?

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
My question now is if I reformat my win 10 Lumina 640 to pass it to a friend, will it go back to win 8.1?

Whatever build your on now,a hard reset will reset to a clean install of that build only,you can only go back to 8.1 with the device recovery tool

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss