How do I install apps from my SD card in Win 10m build 10586.29?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How to install apps from SD card in Win 10m build 10586.29

I have a Lumia 620, I was 10 win 10m build 10581.11, I downgraded to WP8.1(without SD card inserted to protect it,, so there was no data on my phone.. essentially flashed my phone) and upgraded to Win 10m build 10586.29, so there are two scenarios concerning my question:

1st scenario...

I upgraded to Win 10m 10586.29, signed in to the Microsoft acct during the process and restored my previous backup. Now the start screen loaded and I inserted my SD card to install my apps,, but all the apps: internal memory and external SD card were downloading from the store so I cancelled every download and entered the storage settings to see my apps on SD card,, and it showed 3 GB of apps under Apps option but there were no apps to be found once I got inside.. it said 'there were no apps found' but still there were apps on SD card..

Another thing that concerned me was that when I opted to change the storage location of apps to SD card it said 'it will have to delete the apps on the SD card first to install or download to the SD card'

so basically I could not see my apps in the SD card, nor could I install them, can only wipe them to install or download freshly from the store..

2nd scenario:

I upgraded to Win 10m 10586.29, signed in to the Microsoft acct during the process and did not restore my backup, so a fresh start basically, got on the start screen, inserted SD card, and again it showed no apps found inside Apps option even though it took 3 GB of space, again it said to delete apps from other phone before installing or downloading new apps.

can somebody state a way to install apps from SD card after hard reset/upgrade to new build or just in a normal situation.... Thanks in ADVANCE ;)

Rohit Waingankar

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to install apps from SD card in Win 10m build 10586.29

The above question is my question, I forgot to mention that WP8.1 had the ability to install apps from SD card using the Store option,, 'Install local apps'. so is that option still available in win 10 mobile...

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
While you can "install local apps" that is only for where you put the original package on the phone. Apps that are installed can only be used in that install of Windows, or one that it is upgraded to. You can not "re-install" already installed apps from your SD card. So once you downgraded back to WP8.1 you have two choices:
  • Wipe the apps on the SD and download them from the store again.
  • Wipe the SD and put the original app packages on the SD card to re-install. (This is called side-loading, and requires turning on the developer features. And on top of that I think is limited to ~5 apps.)

In other words, you have to wipe the apps and re-download them. You can't move an SD card from one install of Windows to another and use the installed apps that it contains. (That is true of WP8.1 as well.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6