SMS/Skype Messages restore broken *again* ?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

SMS backup and restore has been a bit difficult in the past with W10 Mobile, especially when Microsoft have quietly changed their backend architecture, between builds <10572 (including WP8.1) and >=10572.

At that time I had found a way to get ALL my SMS saved and backed across all my W10 Mobile devices (535, 640), all was good and well.

But then I bought a 950 ^_^

Early December, I tried restoring my messages history on the 950 (10586.00 at that time). They started to come slowly, and I had both Skype and SMS messages. And then it stalled.

My daily driver is my Lumia 640. I then turned on the 535 (which was off for only a week) and discovered that the 535 itself had difficulties to restore the missing week.

Then build 10586.29 was out. All my devices under .29, 535 and 950 hard reset, I still end with the same result.

Most messages are back on the 950 and on the 535 but
a) according to contacts+messages app, I have 27 620 SMS and 266 MMS on my (daily driver) 640. Only 17 724 SMS and 110 MMS are back on 950/535 (other lumias on W10m)
b) no Skype messages were restored on 535 nor 950, no matter which build. I can see them on PC (Modern app Messages)
c) Even for a simple conversation yesterday with my wife (let's say 10 messages), 2 are missing. I don't know were they saved and restore is broken, or if these messages were not saved.

Everything was nice on 10581 and 10586.11 until beginning of Dec (it started to stall just before .29 release)

Do you guys have the same kind of issues? I'm pretty sure Microsoft are changing AGAIN the backend because :
a) if you go to Messages (PC) you'll see only the Skype threads. BUT if you press the search button and enter a single letter like "a", you'll see your SMS (not Skype) texts there! Clicking on an entry will crash the app though
b) Messages previously restored or even received on the 950 before the hard reset are correctly synced on my 640, but will never restore to the 950 or 535. I *know* these messages have been saved, I don't understand why they don't restore.

Final observations :
a) When restored, I don't have duplicates (present on my 640, I even have triplicates or quadricates or whatever the name is lol), or less,
b) for a given contact, the date seems frozen to let's say 17th of Oct. It will catch up all messages up to 17th of Oct on 950/535.
c) when I receive a new message (or send one), these messages are almost instantly synced
d) when I have "holes" in a conversation (a whole period missing), it's ALWAYS the same period (on 950/535) and it will never fill that missing period later.

Thanks for your feedback, possible fixes, etc.

PS. I'm no noob, synced is enabled on all devices ^_^ Current builds : all devices on Insider except the 950, so 640/535 have .36 and 950 has .29 (officially).

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I am having similar issues here. I have 3 phones running 8.1 and all sync perfectly. My 950 will only sync messages as far back as December 8th. Not sure why it only goes only that far back. The 3 phones I have on 8.1 do sync the messages sent on the 950.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem on my L925 after installing one of the builds. After a reset (read: wipe and re-install) I've had no problems with the syncing on my L925. I bought a new Lumia 640 and updated to W10M, and all of my messages synced just fine.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem on my L925 after installing one of the builds. After a reset (read: wipe and re-install) I've had no problems with the syncing on my L925. I bought a new Lumia 640 and updated to W10M, and all of my messages synced just fine.
I just did a wipe and reinstall using the recovery tool and still cannot sync. Hoping the next build will resolve the issue for me.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Further observations :
On my PC, running W10 Insider (latest build), I see SMS from last Saturday (searching e or any letter in the search box). It now even works for more "sophisticated" searches, like "class", or a whole word. These SMS, sent and received on the 640, have not synced to the 950 yet.
640 is now simplest, 950 active since Sunday, and SMS sent and received since then don't appear on the PC. However, after a whole day, they started to appear (but with missing messages for today) on a reset 535.
Now on my wife's MacBook, sporting W10 (not Insider), the Messages modern app doesn't show the same messages. It's blocked at mid-Dec.

On the 950 I've restored partly my 640 SMS (using contacts+messages backup). Partly, because over my 26000+ SMS, only 700 are restored and then the app crashes. So I've turned sync for anytime on and now, I'm just waiting.

I'm more or less sure that messages are saved, but I don't understand why it takes so long to restore, when it was OK until end of November. The fact that over 4 consecutive messages only 3 are synced does worry me, because it looks like it's not a 100% reliable process. But is it because it's not saved, or not restored? The other mystery is: why Skype Messages don't restore?

Anyway, since this week-end, I've noticed restoration is a lot slower.

So at this stage, I've copied important SMS to OneNote (PAYG remaining subscription, codes, etc.) and my new experiment (on a reset 535) is : sync at anytime, and just wait. I won't switch to month or year, or switch it off and on. I'll just wait.

I wonder if every time a "new" device requests a sync, OneDrive/cloud services start a batch to restore all missing messages, and if that's the reason of the delay. As a matter of fact, I see no duplicates so far.

Wait & see.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The issue is still not fixed and, typical MS, not a word about this problem that many of us have.

I've just wiped out my 640 after having installed the last Insider build, SMS restored but it's a partial restore, some are missing, I have more or less the same partial restore than on the 950, but some new messages (like from 1.1.2016) are missing.

When searching on PC, I can see a lot more messages, never restored. I can't find that 1.1.2016 message though.

So I'm not sure is the problem (which reportedly touches WP8.1 also) is that messages are not saved, or not restored :/

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Please upvote my feedback by copy pasting this in edge: Windows-Feedback:?contextid=274&feedbackid=374bca73-787e-4c2b-9a4d-eec010319b6c&form=2&src=1

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The issue is still not fixed and, typical MS, not a word about this problem that many of us have.

I've just wiped out my 640 after having installed the last Insider build, SMS restored but it's a partial restore, some are missing, I have more or less the same partial restore than on the 950, but some new messages (like from 1.1.2016) are missing.

When searching on PC, I can see a lot more messages, never restored. I can't find that 1.1.2016 message though.

So I'm not sure is the problem (which reportedly touches WP8.1 also) is that messages are not saved, or not restored :/

How do you check on pc?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
If you run 1511 (retail version) :
a) Go in Messaging, press the search button, and look for a single letter. Like e

If you run latest insider:
a) Go in Messaging and search for a letter or a word, as search seems to work better in RS1. Like "you" or whichever word you want

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea