New features in WM10 that we don't talk about enough

Glmer Badua

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
By long pressing the windows but'n, you can have a half-screen to easily reach the uppermost icons. Eh.

You can now set your Groove music auto open when plugged-in headset through Gadgets.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
What seems like something that you wouldn't use is a great feature for me. I use flashlight dozens of times in the day at work at the factory. It's so easy to just swipe down and switch on flashlight. My engineering colleagues have to go through so many steps to get to the flashlight app on their phones that it's just frustrating. And then so many steps to switch it off.

Walking in the dark at night, just enable the flashlight. Searching for an item in the house in the dark, shining a light in dark corners or tight spots. These are reasons why having flashlight in action center is so useful.

He was talking about the implementation part and not as a feature though.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh, that's what that is.... I had it installed...forgot I installed it... When a call came it showed CID info even if it was not in my contacts.... I hard reset and I didn't reinstall it, thought it was a 10 feature...going to re-install that right now...Thx :)

Hasn't WP done this since 8.0? I don't have any apps like that and my phone has always done that. Well, nevermind, when I call a business for instance it showed up with the name, not the number, when dialing from a search.

It doesn't do it for incoming calls.

As for flashlight in the Action Center... I forgot it was there and have been using the video camera light...

-_-;;

Thank you!

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Notification Center is miles ahead
Battery Saver is better, more detailed with more battery saving options
Start Screen More Customizable
Store is better and a seperate app from the OS and can be updated like a app
Skype Integration is better (step in the right direction at least)
More control of the display you can make most of the phones view like the 1520
Universal Apps are Better
Actionable notifications
Groove music ****S on Xbox Music

Sent from mTalk

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Things im missing.. Quick selection or calls on messages by touching on edge which we had on 8.1 denim
8.1 people tile

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
a alternative to tapatalk ...tapatalk hasnt been updated and isnt functioning properly so i tried out this app and it works pretty well
Very nice, so much faster than Tapatalk! Couple of quirks already, but it respects my 1520 screen size and navigation seems logical. Thanks!

Edit: ..and no slow 'resuming' so far. :thumbsup:

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
One more nice feature. WiFi printing
And yes android and Iphone had it already a long time but now (at least) WP10 has it also.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Very nice, so much faster than Tapatalk! Couple of quirks already, but it respects my 1520 screen size and navigation seems logical. Thanks!

Edit: ..and no slow 'resuming' so far. :thumbsup:

Sent from mTalk

I just want it to open up threads at the last the last post you've read , and handle embedded videos and pictures better but as it is it's better than Tapatalk by far. It's also a universal app it's on pc as well but I think I like Tapatalk better on pc but it's nice to have options

Sent from mTalk

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
You can enable that in the settings. Should be the default imo. For me it has already replaced Tapatalk.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

Thanks didn't even see that easy better than Tapatalk now lol anything to enable notifications?

Sent from mTalk

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Found a new feature by accident

You can manually change settings for video recording using the camera app while it is recording. I couldn't do that on lumia camera

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Reading through the forums and other blogs or sites, one gets the general feeling that a lot of users and non users of WM10 have issues with WM10 and want new features or capabilities like 10 day battery life or a portable disco in their phone or ability to develop apps from their phone using continuum.

I'm starting off a list of things I like about WM10 that isn't available in WP8.1 cyan (can't say denim since I didn't get that update )

• Full action center as opposed to 4 items in WP8.1
  • Enable cellular data from action center
  • Flashlight from action center
  • Disable/enable wifi from action center
  • I can select all kinds of files in photos app, including videos. In WP8.1 I couldn't select multiple video files to delete but now I can
  • Clean and tighter tiles layout- smaller tiles, smaller text
  • Ability to reply to texts from action center
  • Semi- transparent tiles, background image for apps list
  • Cursorin keyboard, nice addition
  • Regular app updates for core apps
  • Great email client experience - reading emails on the phone is now just as great as on pc browser
  • Email client can sync emails on 2G network
  • App folders on start screen
  • Great office mobile experience
  • Better video app
  • Better music app
  • Manually change video recording settings like focus and exposure while recording

Features mentioned in the posts below, thank you guys for the information

• Text search in apps list and settings
  • More codecs in video player
  • W10M has voice to text everywhere
  • More keyboards/language support
  • Lumia Selfie and Camera now support selfie sticks
  • Email can now attach different type of files
  • 3 keyboard sizes for large phones
  • swipe emails away to delete them
  • Windows 10 Mobile Device Portal
  • WiFi printing

I meant this post to compare WM10 and WP8.1 cyan. I did not want this post to be about what the OS is lacking, we have more than enough posts on that. This is about appreciating the actual changes that have happened since WP8.1.

There are features that have been introduced that some of us don't know about. Let's share them with the rest. But kindly refrain from posting about shortcomings of the OS. They will always be there as one can not satisfy every user 100%.

Write something that you like or believe is a great feature that has been added, but don't write about what is not there.

Thank you
But you won't get good battery life like windows phone 8.1

Kumar Gaurav

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You are getting regular updates for core apps because they are being built from scratch and are still incomplete.
I won't call it an advantage over wp 8.1

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
task manager has flick down to close app. Hold down the " <== " back button brings up the task manager. You can flick or drag each app down to close. Before, I would hit the "X" in each app's upper right corner to close. I wish this was available in Edge for webpage tabs.

- record phone conversations
- more tiles on screen
- better DPI scaling on larger format screens
- Maps apps has gotten better, but GPS still needs work
(pull down menu to turn by turn direction)
- Cortana integration working better
(if you have not done so already, say "call my brother", Cortana will ask which contact is your brother, you specify, and she will flag that contact as your brother. So you can just say, "call my brother" going forward)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99