Insider Preview install fails with strange results.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
First off, let me preface this by saying I've been on the Windows Insider for Mobile for a while now, and finally decided to add one of my PCs to the program. My phone has had no issues, but the PC seems to be doing some strange things where these updates are concerned.

My PC started this journey with the official Windows 10 Home version. I joined the insider program and reboot the PC. Checking on the windows update it said that there was an update available, th2_release I think. Well that one failed to install for whatever reason and the PC reboot. When I check again for updates, it now says the 10586 version is available. So I let it download and try to install that. The PC reboots and goes to the black screen with the big status circle and says it is updating Windows. That goes fine and gets through the Copying files section and does its first reboot. Next it starts the Installing features and drivers portion and the computer just shuts off after a minute or so at 0% completed. I then have to manually reboot the PC. Upon reboot it says it is restoring the previous version of Windows.

Ok, so now I'm thinking there is something I may need to fix before I can install the updates. I opt out of the Insider program and reboot. Once the PC is back up and running I sign up again for the Insider but select the slow ring option. Now when it checks for updates it says the 11082 version is available?!? Trying to install that version results in the same behavior that the 10586 version exhibited.

So my question would be along the lines of, what do I need to check/adjust/correct for the updates to install, or should I just forget about it on this PC and continue to use the original Windows 10 files?

Last edited:

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Update: I managed to just brute force my way through the install. Took two more attempts, but I've got the 11082 build installed now. Still not sure what was causing the installation failures, as there were no error messages or anything to identify the problem.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Well my system is doing it again. So far eight attempts to upgrade from 14257 to 14267 have all failed. My system gets about 50% through the first stage of Copying Files and just shuts off. No clue where the issue is because there is no log or error messages to refer to. The last update to 14257 only took two tries to get it to install. I'd be tempted to just roll back to the production build again but this build (14257) still has the issue that might brick your computer if you use the Reset My PC option.

Mauroo4

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I got the same problem when I tried to upgrade from a Windows 10 Preview build to another one on a partition that had not enough free space

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
473GB free on a 1TB drive so I don't think it is a free space issue. Might be a corrupt sector on the drive or something. I'll run a scan and see if anything shows up.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
HD scan didn't show anything wrong with my drive, so I don't think that was the issue.

Only took 4 more tries and the update finally completed. I wish there was better error reporting as to what went wrong. I guess this is just going to be the norm for my PC, and I'll just have to keep up the brute force method of trying to get the installations to finish.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Finally figured out what is going on with my laptop crashing while attempting to update. I prepped the download and got everything up to the point of rebooting and installing the update. I then put my laptop into hibernation for an hour so that it would be in a cold state. I powered up the laptop and let it reboot and attempt the install. The prep stage completed fine, but once it reboot again and went into the copying files step it managed to overheat and shut down at 10% complete.

So there's got to be some pretty intensive CPU activity if it can overheat this laptop that quickly. Now I'm going to go investigate some options to help keep this machine cooler while I do the updates. Hopefully I can come up with a solution that will prevent this from happening again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes