Windows 10 Mobile - Doesn't like SD Card?

lumia720

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
This started with a 16GB Class 10 Samsung SD Card I was using.

It was working fine with Windows Phone 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 and the card failed in a few months later.

I switched to a brand new 32GB SanDisk Class 10 SD Card just a month ago.

And again, the SD Card has an error message pops up and then I start the scan. it later says the SD Card has unrecoverable errors.

Is this just me or are more people facing similar issues?

I am using a Lumia 730 with the latest Windows 10 Mobile build. (.63 is downloading as I type this)

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Have you checked SD card by plugging it to PC? Maybe there's something at fault with formatting process on w10m insiders. Try this tool to check if SD card is usable or not. Please post results.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I never had problems with 8.1 in my 640. When I updated to 10, and yes, that was on the insider program, I had errors all the time. It was a pain since a lot of my apps were installed on the SD card due to the 640's low storage. I finally started installing my most used apps on the phone and less used apps on the SD card so when the card biffed, I didn't have to reinstall as much. (Thankfully my photos were all backed up to OneDrive.)

I was hoping my 950XL would not have the same problem and since I got it on 12/15 I've had no issues - until today. Today it started getting errors and now it doesn't recognize it at all. I'll see if it's my phone having issues or it really is the card when I get home and can put it in my adapter and SD card reader.

My music has been skipping a good bit lately (music is always downloaded to the phone) and some tracks just don't play, so it is possible it's the SD card, but given the track record on my 640, I'm not sure.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I never had problems with 8.1 in my 640. When I updated to 10, and yes, that was on the insider program, I had errors all the time. It was a pain since a lot of my apps were installed on the SD card due to the 640's low storage. I finally started installing my most used apps on the phone and less used apps on the SD card so when the card biffed, I didn't have to reinstall as much. (Thankfully my photos were all backed up to OneDrive.)

I was hoping my 950XL would not have the same problem and since I got it on 12/15 I've had no issues - until today. Today it started getting errors and now it doesn't recognize it at all. I'll see if it's my phone having issues or it really is the card when I get home and can put it in my adapter and SD card reader.

My music has been skipping a good bit lately (music is always downloaded to the phone) and some tracks just don't play, so it is possible it's the SD card, but given the track record on my 640, I'm not sure.

Soft reset: on restart, you should get a message "SD card integrity check request" , tap Ok and wait, it should take few minutes.
During the process, the apps on card will be not available

indospot

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I have had similar issues too, and I've had to ditch my old SD card because of it. This one is still working, and hopefully will keep working for a while. I don't think I gave feedback on it, though. If anyone did, could you share the link so I can upvote?

Sent from mTalk

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Soft reset: on restart, you should get a message "SD card integrity check request" , tap Ok and wait, it should take few minutes.
During the process, the apps on card will be not available

I don't even need a soft reset - just restarting it always prompts me to scan the SD card. After it scans it says that there are unrecoverable errors and to use a new SD card. After reformatting, it's working just fine. So, either it's physically failing and it will fail again or something in W10 Mobile is corrupting it. I've been plugging it in to my PC using a new USB-A to USB-C to charge it while at work recently and I've never properly "ejected" it. I wonder if that could be causing some of my issues. I'm looking for issues other than the card actually failing, which is a possibility, but my instinct says that's not it.

lumia720

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked SD card by plugging it to PC? Maybe there's something at fault with formatting process on w10m insiders. Try this tool to check if SD card is usable or not. Please post results.

I tried this.

Unfortunately, my laptop has an SD Card reader. So had to use an adapter with the MicroSD to format.

When I tried to format, it said that the card was write protected!

I tried toggling the write protect switch on the adapter, but it did not help,

I have had similar issues too, and I've had to ditch my old SD card because of it. This one is still working, and hopefully will keep working for a while. I don't think I gave feedback on it, though. If anyone did, could you share the link so I can upvote?

Sent from mTalk

Is it on Windows Mobile 10 that you have had this problem?

Because my SD Card on Windows Phone 8.1 seemed to work just fine.

I don't even need a soft reset - just restarting it always prompts me to scan the SD card. After it scans it says that there are unrecoverable errors and to use a new SD card. After reformatting, it's working just fine. So, either it's physically failing and it will fail again or something in W10 Mobile is corrupting it. I've been plugging it in to my PC using a new USB-A to USB-C to charge it while at work recently and I've never properly "ejected" it. I wonder if that could be causing some of my issues. I'm looking for issues other than the card actually failing, which is a possibility, but my instinct says that's not it.

It is hard to believe that two cards will fail without any reason in the span of around 4 months. This card was bought on 29th November and started showing signs of trouble just a month later. I somehow managed to work through it for a month but the issue has re-surfaced now.

I am not even able to format the card.

I am really hoping this is not an issue with the OS because I would be really miffed if it was.

lumia720

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I tried the same Micro SD Card on a Windows Phone 8.1 Lumia.

When I tried to format, it said:
"The SD Card could not be formatted. Please use a new one."

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I tried the same Micro SD Card on a Windows Phone 8.1 Lumia.

When I tried to format, it said:
"The SD Card could not be formatted. Please use a new one."

" QED " :(

In 8.1, I used a ultracheap Samsung 6x 8 GB. Upgrading to 10, opening apps and pics on it was becoming slower and slower. Every reboot it asks a SD check.
So I bought a Lexar UXH 10x and I haven't more iussues with that

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
The issue is either the phone or Windows 10 Mobile and not the SD Card... I've had similar issues when I got a Lumia 535 and thought the phone was bad so i exchanged it for a Lumia 640XL both were upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile before I noticed, I had to change my SD Card 3times (all 32GB) because the phone kept write protecting the cards after a while of inserting it. But when I searched the forum for help i found that most people here weren't having issues with using Samsung's 32GB SD Cards. So I went ahead an got one 32GB Samsung EVO Micro SD HC U1 and I've never had any issue using this... Well for now.
Im using it on my 640XL with no issue atall.

lumia720

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
" QED " :(

In 8.1, I used a ultracheap Samsung 6x 8 GB. Upgrading to 10, opening apps and pics on it was becoming slower and slower. Every reboot it asks a SD check.
So I bought a Lexar UXH 10x and I haven't more iussues with that

I used a Samsung 16GB Class 10 card prior to my current SanDisk Ultra 32GB.

The 16GB card worked with zero issues on my Nokia 5230 and then my Lumia 720 on Windows Phone 8.1.

It worked fine on my Lumia 730 as well until I upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile.

First the 16GB card failed and now the barely 2-month old SanDisk has failed too.

The issue is either the phone or Windows 10 Mobile and not the SD Card... I've had similar issues when I got a Lumia 535 and thought the phone was bad so i exchanged it for a Lumia 640XL both were upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile before I noticed, I had to change my SD Card 3times (all 32GB) because the phone kept write protecting the cards after a while of inserting it. But when I searched the forum for help i found that most people here weren't having issues with using Samsung's 32GB SD Cards. So I went ahead an got one 32GB Samsung EVO Micro SD HC U1 and I've never had any issue using this... Well for now.
Im using it on my 640XL with no issue atall.

For how long have you used the Samsung Evo card with no issues?

By any chance, could using a 2A Sony charger be the problem? I use it to charge multiple devices at home. It would be a shame if that was the reason as all the other devices are working just fine!

EDIT: Have Tweeted Gabe Aul to this page. Hope they can look into it to see if it is a W10M issue.
https://twitter.com/a5hw1n_5/status/698096920544215041

Last edited:

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
W10m/wp8.1 applies a security policy to prevent unauthorized writes to sd card, so it keeps up showing write protected, happened to me twice, I thought it was dead too. I forcefully ejected my card and plugged again and unplugged again twice and write protection will go away and the card is usable again. Hope this helps.

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
W10m/wp8.1 applies a security policy to prevent unauthorized writes to sd card, so it keeps up showing write protected, happened to me twice, I thought it was dead too. I forcefully ejected my card and plugged again and unplugged again twice and write protection will go away and the card is usable again. Hope this helps.

That wont work cos the write protection actually damages the SD Cards in my own case as no method could un-write them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss